Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

What TV outputs do I need for Surround Sound?

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-13, 06:22 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 90 Likes on 70 Posts

I am buying a HDTV for my basement, and I was wondering what outputs I need to look for when I buy as it pertains to Surround Sound.

To hook up Surround Sound Receiver, does it use any HDMI cables? Or does it still use the Component Inputs (Red/White/Yellow, etc).

I had a surround sound system in the late 90's, and I don't know if there is new technology into hooking it up, or is the same way it has always been done?

Any good recommendations for a Surround Sound Receiver?

Thanks!
Old 01-30-13, 08:16 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: What TV outputs do I need for Surround Sound?

To get surround sound from tv programming, you'll need to use the cable/sat box outputs, instead of tv. TVs usually downmix the 5.1 signal to stereo, which means the best you'll get is simulated surround.

As far as brand of receiver, I like Onkyo. They are usually more bang for the buck. Denon is good too, but usually pricier. Not quite as user friendly as Onkyo either. Good luck.
Old 01-30-13, 08:43 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Thanks!

So essentially I could buy a new HDTV with just 2 HDMI ports: 1 for the Cable Box, and 1 for my BluRay player. I have another small HDTV I use for XBox 360.

I saw a more expensive HDTV with 3 HDMI ports, but I figured I wouldn't need them for anything else including Surround Sound.
Old 01-30-13, 09:10 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 63 Likes on 39 Posts

No, if you want to use a reciver for surround you only need one HDMI port on the TV. Everything should go into the receiver via HDMI and then have only one out to the TV. The surround sound is not coming out of your TV, it's coming from the components you have connected to the receiver.
Old 01-30-13, 09:32 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mcnabb
To hook up Surround Sound Receiver, does it use any HDMI cables? Or does it still use the Component Inputs (Red/White/Yellow, etc).
BTW..........FYI, Component cables are red, blue, and green, and for video. The red & white cables are audio cables, and the yellow is Composite for video.

Originally Posted by mcnabb
So essentially I could buy a new HDTV with just 2 HDMI ports: 1 for the Cable Box, and 1 for my BluRay player.
Yes, if you're using an older receiver without HDMI inputs. You could still do that, even with an HDMI receiver. But, it's easier to use the receiver as the switch between sources, than having to change input on tv too. Since tv programming isn't broadcast in 1080p, you could use component cables instead of HDMI, for watching tv shows, but you'd be back to changing the input on the tv too, unless you use something like a Harmony remote.
Old 01-30-13, 10:10 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Thanks for the answers, I understand everything alot better!
Old 02-13-13, 05:10 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 16 Likes on 8 Posts

There is one slight exception to all of this, and it only pertains to Smart TV apps and Over The Air signals.

If you were to use an Antenna as opposed to a cable box, or if you buy a Smart TV with built in apps like Netflix, then you need to get audio from the TV to the receiver if you want Surround Sound. Usually this is done through an Optical Cable, which you'd hook up between the TV and receiver.

If you use a cable box, and have no interest in Smart TV apps, you won't need this.

As for a good receiver, I'm also a fan of Onkyo. Best bang for your buck, no doubt.