DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

DVD player jam

Old 01-31-13, 11:15 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
DVD player jam

Because God hates me, after a long work week, I finally have two days off and I was sitting down to watch a DVD in my living room, as my DVD player in my bedroom broke. And for no discernible reason, it took the disc in and evidently ate it. The DVD belongs to the library too, just to add more good news. The player itself flashes on and repeatedly says "open," but can't seem to eject the disc, let alone play it. I've tried using the paper clip on the little hole underneath it, but to no avail.
Old 01-31-13, 12:22 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 45 Likes on 30 Posts
Re: DVD player jam

My old Apex player did that. Played hundreds of dvds and that was the only thing wrong with it, but I had to quit using it. Static electricity will sometimes cause problems like that. If you haven't already, you might try pulling the plug and letting it "discharge" for minute then plugging it back in.
Old 01-31-13, 11:04 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Tried unplugging it for a while, then plugging it back in, but no luck. Managed to unplg and pry it open to get the disc out, anyway. On a tangential note, it's a DVD/VCR combo my parents bought. Is there any way to buy a VCR anymore? I'd think they'd be inexpensive, but it appears the opposite. With this any my DVD player in my bedroom dead, the only one left is my computer (or the hideous one on the PS2). Perhaps God is attempting to tell me something.
Old 02-02-13, 03:24 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There's one under $100 on Amazon.
Old 02-02-13, 04:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You may find a vcr very cheap at Goodwill. A pawn shop may have one too. Good luck.
Old 02-02-13, 07:29 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by emoxley View Post
You may find a vcr very cheap at Goodwill. A pawn shop may have one too. Good luck.
I was thinking eBay. I wonder if there's an inexpensive combo player to be found at a small store, or hell, anyplace that could repair it. I tried opening it up and taking the screws out, but as I don't know shit, I couldn't see anything directly wrong.
Old 02-13-13, 05:15 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 17 Likes on 9 Posts

While this might not be the best solution, it could work.

If the VCR portion of the combo still works, you could just buy a new DVD player and use both. You'd certainly spend far less with this solution.