Fringe -- "Five-Twenty-Ten" -- 11/16/12

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-12, 09:11 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,640 Likes on 2,613 Posts
Fringe -- "Five-Twenty-Ten" -- 11/16/12

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

Synopsis:

As the fight for the future intensifies, a member of the Fringe team orchestrates a Fringe event of his own in the all-new "Five-Twenty-Ten" episode of FRINGE airing Friday, Nov. 16 (9:00-10:00 PM ET/PT). (FR-507) (TV-14 L)

Episode 7 of 13

Show returns December 7th after tonight. FYI, it makes it's syndication debut next Tuesday on the Science channel.
Old 11-16-12, 11:34 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Fringe -- "Five-Twenty-Ten" -- 11/16/12

At this point, I'm ready to chip myelf so I can see how the rest of this plays out.

It's sad watching Peter change because the change is providing them their first real glimpse of being able to take the fight to the Observers, but as Peter becomes more logical, he becomes less emotional. Let's hope he never gets to a point where he decides the fight/resistance isn't logical. And that he doesn't lose all emotional attachment to Olivia, Walter, and Agnes.
Old 11-16-12, 11:40 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Well, he still seems driven by Etta's death and even said that he will avenge her. But his changes are coming pretty fast.

I absolutely love all the past fringe events and items coming into play.
Old 11-16-12, 11:41 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Also, I'm seeing the picture of Peter in the first post in a whole new way after this episode.
Old 11-17-12, 12:08 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

That observer explosion scene was jaw-droppingly good.

Well, someone had to say it.

Edit:
Originally Posted by adamblast
At the end I half-expected Peter to reach up and grab a tuft of his hair to find that it was falling out.
Well, it looks like I called the hair-tuft-ending one episode too soon. Lots of ominous moments and dialog in this one, and solid character work without ever seeming too slow. Great Bowie track use at the end: "The Man Who Sold the World" could be almost any of them at this point. Hope they're all able to stay on-mission. And I'm glad they didn't drag out Peter's secret. Solid, solid.

Last edited by adamblast; 11-17-12 at 12:36 AM.
Old 11-17-12, 02:01 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Lady in red was another nod to the matrix. Peter's predictive talk was creepy. The son runs to become more and the father tries to hold on to stay the same. What would you do to save the world. Would you become the thing you hate most and risk destroying the ones around you.
Old 11-17-12, 11:30 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Baron Of Hell
What would you do to save the world. Would you become the thing you hate most and risk destroying the ones around you.
For what is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?

Out of context, for sure, but still... What am I prepared to do? I'd die, if necessary, to protect my loved ones. But that's the easier question. The harder question is usually, "Would dying be a net benefit for your loved ones?" That's where Peter is. He unquestionably did what he did because of his loved ones. He wants to avenge Etta. He wants to protect Walter, Olivia, and even Astrid. And further, he wants to protect humanity. But whether doing what he did would ultimately have that effect is debatable. In fact, there are only 3 things that tell me this will end well:

1) Hollywood typically likes happy endings
2) Someone here said the final season will be a love letter to fans
3) September

Otherwise, I can easily see this ending not so well for humanity. I think it's quite likely Peter would become just like all the other observers who have the chip. September is the redemption here because we know that despite becoming cold and logical, there's at least one observer who still cares about humanity. If he can do it, it's possible Peter can too.

Logistics and predictions aside, this was a very rewarding episode. And much like I've saved the episode of Lost that starts out with Jacob and MiB on the beach, I will save this episode and watch it again from time to time. Everything from the moment Olivia walks in and sees Peter's plans is just whole other level territory. It's like how I felt after seeing The Matrix after the first time. Good story, good special effects, good acting. Just good.

OK, enough writing. I'm off to watch that scene again.
Old 11-18-12, 03:10 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I love this show and I can let most minor inconsistencies go, but a couple of things bothered me when I was watching this episode.

1) Why do the Observers allow cell phones? They don't use them since they communicate telepathically. And allowing humans to use them would be an obvious threat.
2) Why are Olivia and Astrid wearing lipstick?
Old 11-18-12, 11:39 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

I don't think the Observers communicate telepathically. If they do they did some very inconsistent things like have meetings, wave to get the intentions other observers, talk to each other, state important info instead of thinking it, reacting to things slowly instead of at the speed of thought. Why do you think they are telepathic?

Olivia wears lipstick. Astrid has lipstick on just because she is always making out with Olivia.
Old 11-18-12, 01:08 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Baron Of Hell
I don't think the Observers communicate telepathically. If they do they did some very inconsistent things like have meetings, wave to get the intentions other observers, talk to each other, state important info instead of thinking it, reacting to things slowly instead of at the speed of thought. Why do you think they are telepathic?
When Peter was looking into the future he saw that Observer lieutenant being told to get into a car, but the Observer in the car didn't roll down the windows or speak out loud. There have been many other scenes in other episodes that demonstrate their telepathic ability. I kind of accepted this as a fact. Is it not? The Observers seem to be modeled after the Borg.

Olivia wears lipstick. Astrid has lipstick on just because she is always making out with Olivia.
Why isn't that being shown?

Last edited by hahn; 11-18-12 at 01:13 PM.
Old 11-18-12, 08:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Great episode again.

I'm getting too nostalgic watching this show, and the music isn't helping. I guess a Bowie song wasn't really cheap, although the song may be more known because of Nirvana, at least for the young ones.
Old 11-18-12, 10:34 PM

Originally Posted by MikahC
At this point, I'm ready to chip myelf so I can see how the rest of this plays out.
I don't know what this means. Dog chip yourself, to help you watch a TV show?
Old 11-18-12, 10:58 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I see the observer's non-verbal communication as a short range extension of their ability to read minds. They can't just telepathically talk to someone in another city. But at close range, they can.

As for cell phones, we're seeing the world through the eyes of resistance fighters. But they're a miniscule percentage of the population. Most people are just going to work, paying their rent, eating, raising families, etc. They observers don't have any problem with a parent calling spouse via cell phone to say, "Honey, I'm on the way home." It's no threat to their plans. Until now, even the resistance has been inconsequential. They posed just about zero threat to the observers overall plans.

I don't think it's a big plot hole. I actually thought about it from a different perspective. Given how advanced the observers are technologically, what's to think they don't monitor all cell phone traffic? If I were the resistance, I'd want to use kind of old school encrypted shortwave for communication.
Old 11-20-12, 08:18 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 650 Likes on 450 Posts

Originally Posted by Astrofan
I don't know what this means. Dog chip yourself, to help you watch a TV show?
I'm pretty sure it's a reference to the Observer's chip, and its ability to see into the future. MikahC wanted to chip himself so he could watch the rest of the series right now instead of waiting for it to air. In other words, he can't wait to see the next episode.
Old 11-20-12, 11:47 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by MikahC
And that he doesn't lose all emotional attachment to Olivia, Walter, and Agnes.
Old 11-21-12, 02:33 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Something that happened 5/20/10
http://www.guardian.co.uk/science/20...etic-life-form
Old 11-21-12, 09:11 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 39 Likes on 32 Posts

Coming into this season, this show was one of my all time favorite shows ... this year has pushed it way over the edge to all time favorite show. I cannot imagine how this year could be any better than it has been.
Old 12-02-12, 10:08 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 134 Likes on 97 Posts

Been behind and catching up.

That bomb scene was actually pretty brutal.

Why is everybody so hard over on Peter becoming September? Not only does it not make sense logically, but I don't understand the desire behind that happening either.