Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Free to Play MMORPGs...

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-12, 03:23 PM
wlj
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Free to Play MMORPGs...

I have been looking around at some of the free to play mmos available and I was wondering if anyone here had any experience with them. there looks to be some very high quality ones out there, but there are so many choices I have no clue which to try. LOTR, Dungeons/Dragons, DC Universe, and Vindictus all look pretty good.
Old 07-18-12, 03:38 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
Re: Free to Play MMORPGs...

LOTR was pretty fun. I was a subscriber for over a year. Probably the best f2p out there.

D&D online is good too, I was in the beta test but never subscribed. But I did play it for a while as f2p.

Everquest 2 is ftp as well, and I subscribed to it for two years at launch. But personally I don't believe it has aged well.

Age of Conan is ftp as well, I've heard it's got great graphics but I've never played.
Old 07-18-12, 03:49 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts

I've played all of those, and thought LOTR was far and way the best. Granted, this was some time ago back when it was a subscription game so I don't know how it plays in the "free" model. But I thought they did a good job of creating a balanced game that felt like it was in Middle-Earth.

I really enjoyed D&D (also back when it was a subscription game) but got tired of running the same content over and over again just to level. I imagine by now they have more dungeons.
Old 07-18-12, 04:00 PM
wlj
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Vindictus looks appealing from the videos I have watched. It looks to have alot of good action and combat. What are you opinions on it?
Old 07-18-12, 04:06 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts

Vindictus is more of an ARPG than the other games. There's no open world. Instead, there's a hub area where you visit shops, get quests, etc. Then you teleport to a dungeon to run missions (either by yourself or with a group). It's not bad, but I had a hard time getting used to the controls.

It is a Korean game, so expect a lot of weirdness when it comes to storylines and character models.
Old 07-18-12, 10:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by wlj
I have been looking around at some of the free to play mmos available and I was wondering if anyone here had any experience with them. there looks to be some very high quality ones out there, but there are so many choices I have no clue which to try. LOTR, Dungeons/Dragons, DC Universe, and Vindictus all look pretty good.
Aion, allods, runes of magic and atlatinca online all get some good reviews. Checkout mmohuts.

Ive been playing EQ2 because I'm on a Norrath nostalgia kick right now
Old 07-19-12, 02:13 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 75 Likes on 64 Posts

Star Trek Online is F2P i believe. It's supposed to be pretty good.
Old 07-19-12, 02:49 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Lord of the Rings is the best fantasy setting one, City of Heroes is the best comic book style, and Star Trek for space goodness. If you only have 5 to 10 hours a week to spend I'd pick CoH or STO as you can play in small bursts but LotR you need a lot of free time to get the most out of it.