DVD Blowouts
Alien [Blu-ray]
Buy: $19.99 $9.99

PDA
DVD Reviews

View Full Version : No bonus features on Universal Blu-ray Disc rentals

JeffTheAlpaca
11-14-11, 07:15 AM
Anyone notice if you rent a movie made by Universal the bonus features do not work?

I rented Bridesmaids and you can not watch the deleted scenes or the extended cut and when press the button for those feature you get a message

"This disc is intended for rental purposes and only includes the feature film. Own it on Blu-ray or DVD to view these bonus features and complete your movie watching experience.

I know Warner Bros and FOX rentals have no bonus features but it is kind of dumb for Universal to do that when it shows bonus features on the main menu.

joltman
11-14-11, 07:44 AM
It's either Universal being lazy and not doing a new menu or being jerks and making you think it's there when it's not.

Gizmo
11-14-11, 09:55 AM
Its probably easier for them to do that instead of re-doing the entire menu selection screen for the rental market. Nothing we can do about it. Sales suck and this is a way for them to try and squeeze a couple more sales.

Drexl
11-15-11, 01:31 PM
Clearly, they want you to know there are bonus features if you buy the disc at retail. It's like another ad.

I think it's actually a smart move by them. If you leave out a link to the bonus features entirely, the customer might never know there are extras on the retail disc. Many people don't research this stuff the way we do.

TomOpus
11-15-11, 02:55 PM
I agree with Drexl. Interesting marketing ploy. But I would wonder how effective it would be. Renters tend to rent for a reason.

davidh777
11-15-11, 04:19 PM
Sounds lame to me

Pizza
11-15-11, 04:31 PM
Thinking about it, I guess the only logical reason is to discourage an interest in buying used rental discs.