Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Act of Valor -- 2/17/12 -- (starring active duty Navy SEALs)

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-11, 11:33 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 283 Likes on 181 Posts

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/cUkKuImX_ok" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Inspired by true events and portrayed by active duty Navy SEALs

Plot: When the rescue of a kidnapped CIA operative leads to the discovery of a deadly terrorist plot against the US, a team of SEALs is dispatched on a worldwide manhunt. As the valiant men of Bandito Platoon race to stop a coordinated attack that could kill and wound thousands of American civilians, they must balance their commitment to country, team and their families back home.

The new movie is directed by stuntmen Mike McCoy and Scott Waugh, and is set to hit theaters on February 17th.

----------------------

Not sure what to make of this, looks like it could be a fun time. On the other hand, it looks like a Navy propaganda/recruitment film kind of how Battle: Los Angeles was a Marine Corp recruitment/propaganda film.

Last edited by Osiris3657; 11-12-11 at 11:41 AM.
Old 11-12-11, 11:59 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 625 Likes on 482 Posts
Re: Act of Valor -- 2/17/12 -- (starring active duty Navy SEALs)

Yeah, I saw that trailer before. I'm sure the action will be good but something about it doesn't quite grab my attention. It might be a rental down the road.
Old 11-12-11, 12:35 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by RocShemp
Yeah, I saw that trailer before. I'm sure the action will be good but something about it doesn't quite grab my attention.
this. I just don't seem to care about what those guys are saying.
Old 01-22-12, 06:01 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've been seeing a bunch of ads for this. Looks interesting but who knows if it'll be any good. Having real SEALS might just be a gimmick. If the story, writing and directing sucks, just having real SEALS isn't going to save it. Interesting idea though.

I can't imagine why the soldiers would actually agree to do this. On imdb it said it took 4 months to convince the SEALS to do it. Their names won't be in the credits to apparently protect their identities. But big deal if their names aren't listed. Their faces are plastered all over the screen. I thought nobody was supposed to know who SEALS are. Same with Delta Force. Both groups are so secret that the members of the groups are supposed to be totally hidden.
Old 01-22-12, 06:04 PM
Banned

This is my most hated film of the year. Everything about this looks offensive and disgusting.
Just obscene exploitative propaganda reinforcing stereotypes. I hate that this film exists.
I will never support this and I will do my best to make sure others don't see this also.
Old 01-22-12, 06:15 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

My issue with this is that they used real navy seals to act in a movie.

You can get actors for that, and they will come off more convincing....... since they know how to act.

The only time I would be interested in seeing navy seals on camera, is if they were NOT acting and were in actual combat. That would be some insane shit.
Old 01-22-12, 06:31 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by whoopdido
I've been seeing a bunch of ads for this. Looks interesting but who knows if it'll be any good. Having real SEALS might just be a gimmick. If the story, writing and directing sucks, just having real SEALS isn't going to save it. Interesting idea though.

I can't imagine why the soldiers would actually agree to do this. On imdb it said it took 4 months to convince the SEALS to do it. Their names won't be in the credits to apparently protect their identities. But big deal if their names aren't listed. Their faces are plastered all over the screen. I thought nobody was supposed to know who SEALS are. Same with Delta Force. Both groups are so secret that the members of the groups are supposed to be totally hidden.
Yea, you don't know what you're talking about...look up Navy SEALs on wiki to see how many famous SEALs there have been.

Did you know Jesse Ventura was a SEAL?

What about Richard Machowicz, this guy who has hosted a number of shows on Discovery (Future Weapons) and Spike (Deadliest Warrior)

Have you heard of "Lone Survivor"? Written by Marcus Latrell, only survivor of a team of SEALs in Afghanistan. Very popular book.

What I'm trying to tell you is that the SEALs....who they are, what they have done...isn't as secretive as you think they are.

Delta Force on the other hand hasn't even been officially acknowledged by the US Government as existing. We don't know much about them, publicly speaking. A few commanders and a couple of famous missions (the Mogadishu, "Black Hawk Down" battle)
Old 01-22-12, 07:44 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Osiris3657
Yea, you don't know what you're talking about...look up Navy SEALs on wiki to see how many famous SEALs there have been.

Did you know Jesse Ventura was a SEAL?

What about Richard Machowicz, this guy who has hosted a number of shows on Discovery (Future Weapons) and Spike (Deadliest Warrior)

Have you heard of "Lone Survivor"? Written by Marcus Latrell, only survivor of a team of SEALs in Afghanistan. Very popular book.

What I'm trying to tell you is that the SEALs....who they are, what they have done...isn't as secretive as you think they are.

Delta Force on the other hand hasn't even been officially acknowledged by the US Government as existing. We don't know much about them, publicly speaking. A few commanders and a couple of famous missions (the Mogadishu, "Black Hawk Down" battle)
The people you listed are retired SEALS. These are active duty SEALS that are in this movie. Like these guys are still doing missions.

I very well might not know what I'm talking about but I'm not aware of any active duty SEALS being in the public spotlight.
Old 01-22-12, 07:58 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

You can't compare Delta Force to Navy SEALs is all I was saying. The level of secrecy and confidentiality is much higher with Delta Force.

Discovery channel had a show that showed SEALs going through BUDS (the training). Obviously all the drill sergeants they interviewed were active duty and their names and faces were shown.

You never hear anything about Delta Force.
Old 01-22-12, 08:20 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

You can't compare Delta Force to Navy SEALs is all I was saying. The level of secrecy and confidentiality is much higher with Delta Force.

Discovery channel had a show that showed SEALs going through BUDS (the training). Obviously all the drill sergeants they interviewed were active duty and their names and faces were shown.

You never hear anything about Delta Force.
Oh I agree Delta Force appears to be more secret. Team 6 is just as elite though. Obviously I'm not saying these guys in this movie are part of Team 6 but "regular" SEALS certainly aren't slouches and are still part of an elite and secretive special forces program.

Now that I think about it, you never heard anything about Team 6 until they killed Osama.
Old 01-23-12, 12:11 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by crazychris88
This is my most hated film of the year. Everything about this looks offensive and disgusting.
Just obscene exploitative propaganda reinforcing stereotypes. I hate that this film exists.
I will never support this and I will do my best to make sure others don't see this also.

Why do you hate this film so much? Yeah, it's propaganda, but so what? So are most war movies. At least there will be a semblance of realism here and not some comically over-the-top action flick like that shit Charlie Sheen starred in back in the '80s.

And IIRC, there were actual Rangers in Black Hawk Down. Did you hate that one too?

You sound like some SEALs mistakenly flash-banged your compound or something.
Old 01-23-12, 07:28 AM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

...have ever seen a Transformers film? I think that's more damaging than this film if you want propaganda and stereotyping.

No offense to AoV but...it really reminds me of an 80s film just by premise. Not shot like one..but it just does remind me of one. I've no great interest in this but if it's actually good from what i end up hearing...I might check it out.
Old 01-23-12, 10:39 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,302 Likes on 946 Posts

Originally Posted by whoopdido
How much are the SEALs in close-ups? Or are they mainly just in background or do they have their face camo on most of the time? It's also possible they were wearing prosthetics (or faces were digitally altered) to cover their identities. If they are active duty, I'm sure some safeguards were taken.
Old 01-23-12, 10:43 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

You could watch the trailer and answer yourself TomOpus
Old 01-23-12, 10:47 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

TV Spot

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/2-OA8QpUt3E" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 01-23-12, 12:14 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,302 Likes on 946 Posts

You could watch the trailer and answer yourself TomOpus
I've seen the trailer several times, recently at a movie on Saturday. It says "The characters are portrayed..." but doesn't say "All the characters are portrayed..." which still leads me to the question of which ones are actual SEALs. There's a lot of shots of men in camo gear where their faces are covered.

I'm not saying what you're saying isn't true. I just tend to be a little suspicious when they hype the film the way they are doing. It's all about how they word stuff.

And I'm not like a certain "crazy" person. I might actually go see the movie
Old 01-23-12, 12:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

If anything, it's good to see what a Call of Duty: Modern Warfare adaptation would look like with a nonexistent budget.
Old 01-23-12, 01:01 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by TomOpus
I've seen the trailer several times, recently at a movie on Saturday. It says "The characters are portrayed..." but doesn't say "All the characters are portrayed..." which still leads me to the question of which ones are actual SEALs. There's a lot of shots of men in camo gear where their faces are covered.

I'm not saying what you're saying isn't true. I just tend to be a little suspicious when they hype the film the way they are doing. It's all about how they word stuff.

And I'm not like a certain "crazy" person. I might actually go see the movie
So you're saying this is one of those things the creators are saying to enhance the interest in the film? I.E. The "based on a true story" message before Fargo the Coen Bros put up even though it wasn't based on anything in real life.
A bit of research confirms that they are real, active duty SEALs. Which ones? The characters who aren't named in the credits

Last edited by Osiris3657; 01-23-12 at 01:07 PM.
Old 01-23-12, 01:04 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Matthew Chmiel
If anything, it's good to see what a Call of Duty: Modern Warfare adaptation would look like with a nonexistent budget.
Not quite, the production budget was $15-18 million with an additional $30 million for advertising.

According to Deadline, this is the most expensive film with an unknown cast.
Old 01-23-12, 01:13 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Says a guy who has not even seen the film. Give me a break.
Old 01-23-12, 01:25 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by taa455

Says a guy who has not even seen the film. Give me a break.
He obviously has a reason, other than the movie itself, for having such a negative attitude towards it. Anti-military maybe?
Old 01-23-12, 01:27 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I was lucky enough to work on this film (post-production) and I can confirm that all of the guys who play SEALs in the movie are actual SEALs. The bad guys and a couple of CIA folks are played by actors.
Old 01-23-12, 01:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Is it because it's PG-13?
Old 01-23-12, 01:33 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by FinkPish
I was lucky enough to work on this film (post-production) and I can confirm that all of the guys who play SEALs in the movie are actual SEALs. The bad guys and a couple of CIA folks are played by actors.
Old 01-23-12, 02:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 266 Likes on 194 Posts

Originally Posted by Tarantino
Is it because it's PG-13?
And probably under 2 hours...

My son wants to see this so we will check it out.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.