Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Act of Valor -- 2/17/12 -- (starring active duty Navy SEALs)

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Act of Valor -- 2/17/12 -- (starring active duty Navy SEALs)

Old 03-07-12, 02:51 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 278 Likes on 179 Posts
Re: Act of Valor -- 2/17/12 -- (starring active duty Navy SEALs)

Originally Posted by Matthew Chmiel
A $45 million gamble that will be lucky to gross $4.5 million domestically? God bless Hollywood.
Current domestic box office total: $47,283,767

Old 03-08-12, 02:59 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think the critics have been overly harsh. It's by no means a masterpiece, and certainly contains its share of flaws, but the action sequences more than make up for all of its short-comings. It definitely has a flag-waving, gung-ho attitude about it, but so what? It's not like Hollywood isn't pumping out enough films with the exact opposite stance.
Old 03-12-12, 10:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 273 Likes on 206 Posts

Just got back from this, I enjoyed it. Great action, though I'd say the rescue mission at the beginning was the best sequence.
Old 06-02-12, 09:46 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,634 Likes on 2,607 Posts

Rented the Blu-Ray for this last night.

Yes, I know this doesn't come out until Tuesday. My Mom and Pop video store put it out early. Instead of getting the FOX release, they put out the Alliance release, which is for the Canadian market.

Anyways, I thought this was a pretty good B action film. I've heard mixed opinions about this and I know quite a few people in this thread shit on this movie without actually seeing it. For guys who weren't actors, I thought the real life Seals did a pretty good job. The acting was spotty at best, but they were awesome in the combat and military sequences.

I absolutely loved the raid sequence to rescue Roselyn Sanchez's character from the terrorists. That was a tight, well directed and intense sequence.

I actually thought the weakest part of the movie was the family sequences. IMO, that was part of the movie that would have benefited more using real actors. It just didn't have the emotional impact that the directors hoped they would.

But overall the action sequences and the realism of the military aspects more than made up for it.
Old 07-04-12, 11:49 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by DJariya
Rented the Blu-Ray for this last night.

Yes, I know this doesn't come out until Tuesday. My Mom and Pop video store put it out early. Instead of getting the FOX release, they put out the Alliance release, which is for the Canadian market.

Anyways, I thought this was a pretty good B action film. I've heard mixed opinions about this and I know quite a few people in this thread shit on this movie without actually seeing it. For guys who weren't actors, I thought the real life Seals did a pretty good job. The acting was spotty at best, but they were awesome in the combat and military sequences.

I absolutely loved the raid sequence to rescue Roselyn Sanchez's character from the terrorists. That was a tight, well directed and intense sequence.

I actually thought the weakest part of the movie was the family sequences. IMO, that was part of the movie that would have benefited more using real actors. It just didn't have the emotional impact that the directors hoped they would.

But overall the action sequences and the realism of the military aspects more than made up for it.
Finally got around around to watching this tonight. No idea why I never watched it before.

Anyway, this is pretty much exactly how I felt about it.

I agree that the SEALS did a decent job acting but it was obvious they weren't pros. The action scenes were incredibly well done though. I don't know if I just bought into the whole idea of real soldiers being on screen but frankly I found the war scenes in Act of Valor to be some of the most tense war scenes I've ever seen in a movie. It just seemed real to me. I assume part of it was simply because I was actually watching real soldiers doing what they're trained to do rather than actors pretending to be soldiers but I was totally into all the scenes. Even some of the firefights in great war movies that I really like tend to get a little boring after a while but for whatever reason I was more engaged in the fighting parts of this movie. Maybe it was just because everything other than the fighting was actually fairly weak so the fight scenes were something to look forward to.

I definitely enjoyed it.