Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk > DVD Talk Covers, Cases & Inserts
Reload this Page >

Princess Mononoke/Grave of the Fireflies slipcovers?

Community
Search
DVD Talk Covers, Cases & Inserts Talk about DVD Cover Art, DVD Cases and DVD INSERTS

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-11, 02:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Does anybody know if these movies have ever been released with slipcovers? And if not, then why? They are two of Studio Ghibli's most popular movies and some of the only ones that haven't been released with slipcovers (that I know of). Also, when is the last time Princess Mononoke was released on DVD? 2000? Does anybody know when it's next DVD release will be?
Old 08-16-11, 10:47 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,410 Likes on 1,033 Posts
Re: Princess Mononoke/Grave of the Fireflies slipcovers?

Pretty sure they did not have slipcovers. I remember Mononoke had a difficult time coming to DVD. It was almost released as an English dub only. The fan outcry was pretty loud, and adding the original Japanese audio was added so late I don't think it's even listed on the DVD cover; they had to put a sticker on the shrinkwrap to show it was included. I don't think it was ever re-released.

Grave of the Fireflies is a great film, but it's just not that well known outside of anime circles.
Old 08-18-11, 07:34 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by milo bloom
Pretty sure they did not have slipcovers. I remember Mononoke had a difficult time coming to DVD. It was almost released as an English dub only. The fan outcry was pretty loud, and adding the original Japanese audio was added so late I don't think it's even listed on the DVD cover; they had to put a sticker on the shrinkwrap to show it was included. I don't think it was ever re-released.

Grave of the Fireflies is a great film, but it's just not that well known outside of anime circles.

How many versions of princess mononoke are there?
I ask because I'm confident that Minnie Driver, Gillian anderson, Billy Bob and more don't speak japanese..
Old 08-18-11, 09:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

DVD Aficionado only lists the one DVD release. Not sure what you're getting at.
Old 08-19-11, 10:16 AM

You state that

It was almost released as an English dub only. The fan outcry was pretty loud, and adding the original Japanese audio was added so late I don't think it's even listed on the DVD cover
I'm confused.
Old 08-19-11, 06:07 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 101 Likes on 63 Posts

It was originally a Japanese film - therefore the language was Japanese. When Disney bought the rights and went to DVD production with it they said that they were going to drop the original Japanese language track and only use an English dubbed version. As milo bloom said - the fan outcry was VERY LOUD and people just pretty much said "we won't buy it without the original language (Japanese) track included". Disney went back to the drawing board with it and included it (the ORIGINAL Japanese language track) as well as the English dub.

Therefore, you're correct - Minnie Driver, Gillian Anderson, Billy Bob and so on don't speak Japanese, nor do they need to - the original Japanese voice talent spoke Japanese.
Old 08-20-11, 03:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Right, I just pulled out the DVD to confirm, the Japanese audio isn't listed anywhere on the case. The French dub track is listed as a special feature. On the audio menu, the languages are listed in order of English, French, then Japanese (like it was squeezed onto the DVD last).

Like I said, pretty sure Disney had to print stickers that said "Japanese audio included" to put on the shrinkwrap because the DVD covers had already been printed.

The DVDTalk review even mentions the issue.
http://www.dvdtalk.com/reviews/1433/princess-mononoke/
Old 08-20-11, 04:15 PM

OK thank you. It didn't make sense when posted. I have the movie, but didn't even know about the original audio. I just assumed it was done in English.