Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

Got my 360! OK...er...what am I doing wrong?

Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-10, 03:21 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts

I've been SO excited to get a 360 for the family this Christmas, but after opening it up, I feel a bit disappointed. I must be missing something. PLEASE help if you have any suggestions, as I don't want to return it, but I'm just so frustrated.

1. I got Halo: Reach, 007: Quantum of Solace and Assassin's Creed, and I find it nearly impossible to quickly aim at anything. This, of course, makes gameplay worthless. I'm a PC gamer where aiming is quick and easy. Does it get better? Or am I expecting too much? I figure I'm missing something, since these are some great selling games and people love them.

2. We got Band Hero and Rock Band 2. I thought they'd be great for the kids, but dang, these seem nearly impossible for anyone under a teen to play. I can barely follow along myself. Do these get better? Again, they're HUGE sellers, so I must be missing something.

Gracious answers are appreciated. I feel like I've spent about $500 on a complete gaming system with games that is very difficult to play. Am I just missing some settings or something? HELP!
Old 12-28-10, 03:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 382 Likes on 307 Posts
Re: Got my 360! OK...er...what am I doing wrong?

I guess it will take some getting used to after playing on the PC forever. I used to prefer the PC format too... now I'll take the console way to aim and look anyday.

With respect to Band Hero, I believe there is a "no fail" mode you can play. Again, these are just new types of games to you and will come alone rather quickly --- at least they did for me.
Old 12-28-10, 03:35 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts

You can adjust your controller sensitivity in nearly every FPS. Check the menus.

The music games take some time to learn. It's not a hop in in your first couple hours and you are rocking out type situation. Pick your instrument, drop it on easy and take some time to learn the mechanics. The music games take time to learn.
Old 12-28-10, 03:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend & 2021 TOTY Winner

Received 743 Likes on 368 Posts

Rock Band 2 has a No fail mode as well. How old are your kids?
Old 12-28-10, 03:45 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

I've had my 360 for 4 years now, but I still hate the aiming on a FPS compared to a PC. A mouse and keyboard is still miles above a controller as far as accuracy and aim, while using an analog stick is just a source of frustration. I just gave up outside of something like Gears of War. The Call of Duty games I now just play on PC.

The music games just take some getting used to. I think those are just a type of game play that your hands need to adjust to.
Old 12-28-10, 03:48 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,022 Likes on 812 Posts

It's all learning curve, be sure you jack up sensitivity in the FPS games and play on Easy in the music games.
Old 12-28-10, 03:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 243 Likes on 178 Posts

Using the 360 controller to aim is VERY cumbersome, stick to your PC for FPS'ing if at all possible.
Old 12-28-10, 03:56 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,022 Likes on 812 Posts

I haven't had a problem with aiming on the 360 controller (have occassionally on the PS3 though), and I was always a big PC shooter guy It isn't quite as easy/accurate but it never really mattered in the single player aspect of said games and was still always easy enough.
Old 12-28-10, 04:00 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by RichC2
It's all learning curve, be sure you jack up sensitivity in the FPS games and play on Easy <del>in the music games</del>.
Second that notion. You'll get the hang of it after a bit of time.
Old 12-28-10, 11:49 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yeah, take it easy, don't be so hard on yourself (and the games!). I don't think you'll find anyone who will argue that aiming with an analog stick is going to be quicker and more accurate than a mouse. However, all the games are tuned 100% to that with (hopefully) the right amount of autoaim, and appropriate difficulty. You won't be doing snap head shots like in Quake 3: Arena but you should be able to have a good time. Perhaps tone down the difficulty until you get used to it.

I've only played a little of Rock Band 2, on drums, but I sucked pretty hard. Unless you have natural rhythm and timing then you should definitely expect to be putting in some practice sessions .

Also, you could consider dipping into some of the XBL Arcade games. Geometry Wars 2 would be a good start. That's a game that plays brilliantly with two analog sticks.
Old 12-28-10, 11:51 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You probably should have at least played a FPS on 360 in a store demo or at a friend's house before purchasing one.
Old 12-29-10, 02:09 AM
gamer for life

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

You get used to it...you really do...

1: Don't be afraid to play it at a lower difficulty setting at first to get use to the game...When I bought the Orange Box, and put in Half-Life 2 for the first time, I set it at the hardest setting like I always played it on the PC....it was with great sadness that I had to put it on normal, after having gone the whole game on pc, on the hardest setting without having died once...but I did, and by the end I was getting the hang of it..

2: if you are playing online, remember everyone is in the same boat as you...it balances out. I find online xbox shooters have less head shots and more spray and pray...but still fun...

3: I started playing Halo 2 on pc the other day and I found myself using my xbox controller...it took 3 years of the xbox, but I am starting to like the controller more...I am still not as good with it, but oh well...I don't play to be good, I play to have fun...
Old 12-29-10, 02:56 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 400 Likes on 300 Posts

I have no problem aiming with the 360 controller either. The music games I sucked at before, too. Now I can play no problem.

Well on easy at least.

Old 12-29-10, 10:38 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts

OK, so an update:

After reading all your suggestions, I approached things differently last night and had MUCH more fun. For those who might be in the same situation, here's what helped me:

1. DO change the sensitivity settings for each game. I found that going for "fast" or higher provided noticeable improvement. Some games also let me increase the amount of auto-aim and that helped a little, too. Halo: Reach was suddenly fun.

2. For FPS games, I realized some were different than what I was used to on a PC. For instance, in 007: Quantum of Solace, it's not about running in guns blaring. It's really about stealth and hiding around corners. This ALWAYS gives you time to aim and shoot while staying safe. Just adjusting my gameplay approach helped immensely. (BTW, I highly recommend this game--and it's cheap!)

3. If you're interested in making the 360 a "family" system, on your dashboard you'll find a setting to change the dashboard focus from "standard" to "family." This REALLY improved things for us. Instead of being hit with ads and upgrades for games like Fallout 3, we suddenly had lists of "the best XBL games for families, Disney avatar upgrades, Toy Story 3 downloads, etc. Why this isn't more prominent, I don't know.

4. After kind of enjoying Kinectimals and Kinect Adventures, we opened Kinect Sports. Wow! This one is F-U-N. Even a four-year-old could do great in the running, hurdles and boxing.

Thanks, all, for the reality check! :P
Old 12-29-10, 12:20 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Aiming with the analogue sticks certainly isn't as good as a mouse/keyboard combo, but I think over the last few years developers have done a great job with the controls in FPS games. I used to find it unusable, but now it feels natural and while it still isnt as accurate, I prefer movement and aiming on controllers now.
Old 12-29-10, 01:45 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Its like I tell my 3 year old, practice