Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Reviews and Recommendations
Reload this Page >

"The Blob" Reviews/Discussion - 2010 Horror Challenge: Day 11

Community
Search
DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-10, 08:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Somewhere Hot Scoville Units: 9,999,999 Zodiac Sign: Capricorn
Received 811 Likes on 316 Posts

The Blob (1988)

IMDB PAGE

Selected by riotinmyskull.

These "October Horror Movie Challenge" threads are for the discussion of the films in the 31 Films in 31 Days Subset.

Main Discussion Thread | The List Thread

The plan is for everyone to watch this film on the October day in the thread title, and to start discussing it the morning of the following day.
You may start discussion early if you want, but the preferred plan is for this to be as much of a group exercise as possible, with all of us viewing it "together" and discussing after.

Of course, you are totally encouraged to participate in these threads even if you haven't watched the movie on the designated day.
Even if you haven't watched it in years, or are not participating in the Horror Challenge, please feel free to chime in.

Spoiler tags are unnecessary in these discussion threads, so if you have yet to see the film BEWARE OF SPOILERS.

Horror Challenge Home

Old 10-11-10, 10:23 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 230 Likes on 167 Posts
Re: "The Blob" Reviews/Discussion - 2010 Horror Challenge: Day 11

Chuck Russell's Thing-like take on the moldy oldie is an interesting update, but it's let down in the second half due to the very 80s insistence that the monster is a biological creation of the government and its reliance on action instead of horror. The first half of the film works beautifully, though. I remember seeing it when it first came out and not really liking it (but I didn't really hate it, either). I liked it a little better this time around, but it still doesn't exactly work for me. It certainly makes me miss the pre-CGI days, however. I was surprised to see that Frank Darabont co-scripted; perhaps he named Kevin Dillon's character Flagg after Randall Flagg in The Stand. I also suspect that the cook that gets sucked down the sink drain was inspired by a character in King's "The Raft" that met a similar fate. All in all, The Blob is worth a look on a slow night, but it probably won't land on anyone's top-ten list.
Old 10-11-10, 10:46 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 680 Likes on 456 Posts

I like this re-make more and more each time I watch it. It's silly in spots, but it's a lot of fun, and I found myself entertained the whole ride.

Thinking of watching Beware! The Blob now.
Old 10-11-10, 11:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I hadn't seen this since the early 90s, but have always remembered it fondly. The kitchen death scene is what I remembered most. NEVER reach down the drain! I really like the opening credits design. A lot of the practical make up effects have aged very well, although some of the matting and miniatures show their age. I think what works best is that the blob is simply death and that NONE of the characters are guaranteed to make it to the end. Frank Darabont's name was a surprise to me as well. Yesterday the surprise was when I saw Sean Cunningham's name attached to Last House on the Left eight years before Friday the 13th.
Old 10-12-10, 01:55 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 329 Likes on 200 Posts

Ribbed....
Old 10-12-10, 05:06 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

i chose this flick because it's one of my favorite remakes and because it's also one of my first memories of a horror film. i remember having a HUGE crush on shawnee smith at the time and still do. the effects were always impressive and it's a fun ride. i hate to admit it but i've never seen the original version (i know, i know...sue me) but i plan on changing that soon when i watch THE BLOB, BEWARE THE BLOB! and THE BLOB ('88) all back to back.
Old 10-13-10, 04:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Somewhere Hot Scoville Units: 9,999,999 Zodiac Sign: Capricorn
Received 811 Likes on 316 Posts

This is one of a handful of remakes I actually prefer over the original. I've always considered McQueen's version with his hands in the pocket throughout thinking he's James Dean and running from what looks like a giant scoop of pudding as being extremely overrated. This one's a schlocky tongue-in-cheek '80s cheese-fest that sets out to entertain and does just that. It's suspensful, has impressive special effects that hold up even today and actually gives a plausible explanation for the events taking place. A fun ride.

And look for Bill Moseley playing "Soldier #2".
Old 10-13-10, 10:21 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I enjoyed this, and I didn't think I would. I really don't see it as a straight remake, felt more like a new movie about the same idea. I'm fine with that.
Old 10-15-10, 07:29 PM

I loved the remake and had also never seen the original - only the clip of the trailer in the movie "Grease". I watched the original right after. Loved how the 'rough' teens would be considered so squeaky-clean today.

Back to the original - great remake and surprised a sequel was never made.
Old 07-21-11, 03:27 PM
Cool New Member

This is SUCH a great movie. Which is why I'm disappointed Zombie might be remaking it again.

This movie is perfectly cast, creepy, well-drawn characters...one of the best things to come out of the late eighties (along with anything Jill Schoelen did).