Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Sam Worthington's THE DEBT trailer

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-10, 12:36 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/1CSKqXgJXWo&hl=en_US&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/1CSKqXgJXWo&hl=en_US&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

Looks awesome! Mirren in it too!
Old 07-21-10, 05:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Re: Sam Worthington's THE DEBT trailer

I'll watch it, if for no other reason than to see Ciaran Hinds at his craft. He's fantastic.

Though actually the films looks interesting on it's own and has quite a bit of talent in the cast.

But when I saw Ciaran, I was sold..
Old 07-21-10, 05:03 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 134 Likes on 97 Posts

Humm. Seems like the past or the present are both interesting, but I don't know about flipping back and forth.
Old 07-21-10, 05:26 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looks interesting.
Old 07-21-10, 05:35 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Intriguing. It looks like they're trying something different other than your average cookie cutter thriller. For that reason alone, I'll see it.

Last edited by Eric D.; 07-21-10 at 06:51 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 07-21-10, 05:43 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 625 Likes on 482 Posts

That looks very good. I'm interested.
Old 07-21-10, 06:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Looks like it could be really good.
Old 07-21-10, 07:02 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 283 Likes on 181 Posts

Old 07-21-10, 07:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

^ Played out.
Old 07-21-10, 11:13 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Blu Man
Looks interesting.
Old 10-21-10, 10:34 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

BUMP

This movie - THE DEBT (2010) - seems to be a remake of a 2007 Israeli film also called THE DEBT aka HA-HOV. The original Israeli version looks to be airing tonight - Thursday, October 21st at 6:45pm - on the Sundance Channel here in the U.S.. A repeat airing is slated for early tomorrow morning at 5:45am.

Here's the youtube trailer for the Israeli original version:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qE0zAyu-1qA
Old 08-21-11, 09:58 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 283 Likes on 181 Posts

Comes out 8/31...I'm skeptical, but will give it a chance. Only 3 reviews so far on RT, 2 positive.
Old 09-05-11, 09:22 PM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by flixtime
BUMP

This movie - THE DEBT (2010) - seems to be a remake of a 2007 Israeli film also called THE DEBT aka HA-HOV. The original Israeli version looks to be airing tonight - Thursday, October 21st at 6:45pm - on the Sundance Channel here in the U.S.. A repeat airing is slated for early tomorrow morning at 5:45am.

Here's the youtube trailer for the Israeli original version:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qE0zAyu-1qA
damn it, missed this announcement last year as well as the recent Avalon theater showing of the original. As for the remake I thought it was excellent. My major gripe is that the young Stefan (played by Marton Csokas) looks NOTHING like the older version (played by Tom Wilkinson) - it was visually a major distraction.
Old 09-06-11, 07:40 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Soooooo I saw it today. Deep down...I really liked it. Like the post above mine...the differences in Stefan were a big distraction. Older David looked more like like the younger Stefan. THOUGH..Wilkinson and Csokas were really good at being the same person at different times in their lives.

Anyway...Mirren did good. The younger cast were really good at selling that story. Wasn't an amazing movie but pretty entertaining and well made. The whole Nazi hunt tale was really well done. Was pretty happy w/ the attack on one of the characters. My main gripe is the ending. I'm not sure if I liked it or not, just felt semi lacking to me...I don't know why. Also it made me think about what would the ramifications be on another female character. I didn't expect to see what Mirren's character went through at the end, that was I guess somewhat refreshing. Minor gripes aside...I'd say it's worth a watch and entertaining at that. I'd like to see the original Israeli flick cuz from that trailer link given...seems like this version had more exciting camerawork than the Israeli one.
Old 09-07-11, 09:57 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Giles
damn it, missed this announcement last year as well as the recent Avalon theater showing of the original. As for the remake I thought it was excellent. My major gripe is that the young Stefan (played by Marton Csokas) looks NOTHING like the older version (played by Tom Wilkinson) - it was visually a major distraction.
It's on Comcast On Demand in the free movie section.
Old 09-11-11, 11:10 PM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by mrhan
It's on Comcast On Demand in the free movie section.
thanks, I noted this this evening on RCN On Demand via Sundance on demand - excellent film. The original movie really streamlines the story a lot.
Old 09-14-11, 02:36 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Set in the late 1990s, 30 years ago, a trio of Mossad spies set out to track down a Nazi war criminal. After capturing their prey, something happens, and the war criminal escapes, but the spies decide to cover up the escape, and take credit for the apprehension and disposal of the war criminal. After spending all those decades celebrating their story, word of the war criminal's whereabouts surface, and the 3 spies must confront their past, and deal with the problem head-on as a journalist is on the trail of a story that could unravel everything for the trio.

Both sets of actors for the present day, and for their younger selves give solid performances, and the direction was good, but the last 20 minutes felt a little suspect, though it was nice to see some spy skills never leave you even after 3 decades. I would suggest that Sam Worthington not attempt to do accents because he just not all that convincing when doing them.

I give it 2.75 stars, or a grade of B-.
Old 02-29-12, 06:50 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I really enjoyed the heck out this movie. The storytelling was tight and the acting was very good. I keep reading about plot holes and such, but I was not bothered by any of it because the movie was just completely entertaining from start to finish (the twist took me by surprise). I also didn't have that hard a time with the casting. It's pretty obvious who is supposed to be who so whether the actors looked a like or not did not bother me one bit. Also, I was quite surprised how long the story focused on the younger roles seeing as they got Helen Mirren to star as the present day female lead.

The only thing that disappointed me was the extremely limited screen time of Ciarán Hinds. Ugh. Between this and his cameo in Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy - I am wondering if he is ever going to get a meaty supporting role in a major film anytime soon. He deserves it! Sucks that he has to take on roles in films like Ghost Rider to pay the bills.

I'll probably check out the original film sometime soon.