Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

Does your collection represent your taste?

Community
Search
HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-10, 10:43 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This is not a general question, everyone will have a different answer. If someone were look through your collection of Blu Rays/HD DVDs/DVDs would they have an accurate idea of what kind of movies you like and your overall taste in film?

My collection is very small, only 45 titles (Blu Rays only, I have 70ish DVD's), and I don't believe that if someone looked through the movies I own that they would have an accurate idea of my taste. Out of my 45 titles I only like 31 of them. In fact I have some movies I hate, all the ones I don't like are either gifts of blind buys gone bad.
Old 07-06-10, 10:47 AM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Re: Does your collection represent your taste?

..damn...I have 513 films. I like all of them. 110 of them are BD. Depending on the BD I may have given away the DVD version of the film. If you look through my films....you might be able to tell that I like Action Movies from around the world, need to get more HK BDs for sure. That and....yeah...I think action dominates my taste followed by drama.
Old 07-06-10, 10:50 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I think people would think my tastes were verging on snobbish and/or old. I really enjoy many mainstream movies, but will redbox them, etc. The movies that I tend to enjoy rewatching are more the classics. So, my collection is an accurate representation of what I like to watch repeatedly, but not necessarily what I like to watch at all.

I don't have any movies I hate.
Old 07-06-10, 11:40 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yes.
Old 07-06-10, 11:41 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Why buy movies you don't like? If I watch something and don't care for it, I sell it regardless of classic status in the film world. I try to only keep stuff I know I'll rewatch several times.
Old 07-06-10, 12:28 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by jmu878
Why buy movies you don't like? If I watch something and don't care for it, I sell it regardless of classic status in the film world. I try to only keep stuff I know I'll rewatch several times.
This. And no, if you look at my collection it probably wouldn't give you a very good idea of what my tastes are. It's kind of all over the place, but with a strong focus on comedy.
Old 07-06-10, 12:38 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

If you include BR & DVD I would say yes, but just BR then No
Old 07-06-10, 12:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 383 Likes on 240 Posts

I would think it's pretty close. I've got titles from nearly every possible genre, but if you looked over the collection as a whole you'd have a good sense of what I enjoy the most.
Old 07-06-10, 12:56 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I have to say that I agree with much of what is being said on the board.

I have three categories of organization when it comes to DVD: DVD Movies, Blu-rays and TV sets. And with the DVDs you can tell that I like fantasy, sci-fi, drama and horror films which dominate. But the blu-rays are different as I only buy blu-rays that are of movies that Hi-Definition really makes a needed different (for example: "The Devil Wears Prada" may look amazing on blu-ray but the DVD does a good enough job, but for a movie like "2012" its a different story).

And TV shows I practically only own sci-fi and serialized drama's which is exactly what my tivo looks like as well.
Old 07-06-10, 01:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 362 Likes on 305 Posts

Definitely close. What's missing is more Horror on Blu-Ray that I'm waiting for.
Old 07-06-10, 01:47 PM

Yup. I'm a mainstream-action guy. My collection of 300+ DVDs and 45 BDs consists of martial arts, shoot-em-ups and sci-fi fare. and a few comedies here and there.
Old 07-06-10, 02:21 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Why buy movies you don't like?
Gifts or blind buys that turned out to be bad.
Old 07-06-10, 02:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 218 Likes on 156 Posts

With 350+ (BD and DVD) yeah (mostly mainstream action/fantasy/animation with some smaller quirky films). I do believe at a certain point a collection turns into an impersonal library, when exactly that is I'm not sure.
Old 07-06-10, 03:23 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 91 Likes on 22 Posts

I'd say there's more there that represents my taste than doesn't I guess.

That sounds like a low bar to meet I suppose. But between gifts and blind buys and (gasp!) my tastes changing, I think it's understandable.
Old 07-06-10, 03:27 PM

Definitely. My taste covers almost all genres except horror and romedies/chick-flicks, which my collection is mostly devoid of. Lots of action/adventure and animated stuff.
Old 07-06-10, 03:31 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

My overall collection does more than my Blu-Ray collection. The lack of genres like the classic noirs, old-westerns, & foreign films available in the US definitely makes for a misrepresentation of my tastes if one were only looking at my HD-collection. So I think my Blu-Ray collection isn't really a fair assesment as my favorite genre of films are very limited.

But I think you can certainly get a sense of what I generally like & don't like if you looked through my Blu-Rays.
Old 07-06-10, 03:41 PM

Originally Posted by Blu Man
Gifts or blind buys that turned out to be bad.
So get rid of them? There's no "you have to keep it" law.
Old 07-06-10, 03:59 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Yep, I'd have to say it does.
Old 07-06-10, 04:00 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Most certainly yes. I learned a lot from my previous DVD buying habits. I do still make some blind buys, but these are also genre films that I have read about and almost certainly know I am going to enjoy them.
Old 07-06-10, 04:18 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

My collection definitely represent me, but I learned from DVD to only buy movies I can watch over and over. I have learned that there are great movies and there are great movies that have replay value. Movies like Schindlers List, Platoon, Raging Bull, Taxidriver are great movies, but I rarely revisted those movies because they don't have great replay value for me, IMO.

Most movies in my collection are movies like Hoosiers, Rocky, Superman, Godfather and others when they arrive on BluRay: Star Wars, Raiders, Back to the Future, Jaws. All of these movies I have seen a zillion times, and never get old to me.
Old 07-06-10, 04:38 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

So get rid of them? There's no "you have to keep it" law.
I used to get rid of a lot of DVD's, but now I think I'd prefer to just keep every title I have, even if I don't particularly like it. I don't know why, I guess I'm just weird like that.
Old 07-06-10, 05:31 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Generally? Yes, very much so. I have a lot of blind buy's, but the overall collection is very much a proper representation of my taste in film. And I don't feel as though there is any dramatic difference between my DVD/HD/Blu-ray's representing my taste. I like a lot of movies -- from many genres, and the entire collection is a reflection of that.
Old 07-06-10, 06:23 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,308 Likes on 952 Posts

Originally Posted by JJE-187
If you include BR & DVD I would say yes, but just BR then No
Ditto. Not enough available on BR to create a "taste" yet.
Old 07-06-10, 06:33 PM

Most definitely. I only buy movies I really love, which is why I have less than 200. If people were to look at my collection they would probably see that I love horror movies, exploitation films, cult classics, and critically acclaimed movies. I own almost nothing "new", probably because I almost never see movies in the theater any more. As much as I hate to admit it, I have a pretty "hipster" taste in movies.
Old 07-06-10, 09:58 PM

Mine only represent a part of my personality. I like a lot of different genres but don't have the money to buy everything I like. The ones I do have are titles that are mostly obscure or have small print runs which makes owning them a priority over the more mainstream or popular titles (i.e. I don't own a set of Star Wars movies because it is constantly in print in some shape or form).

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.