Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Recommendation on headphones?

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Recommendation on headphones?

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-00, 07:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm looking for a good pair of headphones, preferrably closed ear and under $100. I'll use them mainly for DVD's and music. Although they're open ear, the Grado SR60's seem to be popular, but I was wondering if there were any other good headphones around the same price range and quality.

[This message has been edited by Rain Man (edited August 11, 2000).]
Old 08-11-00, 08:04 PM

I'm looking some good quality not overly expensive headphones too.I read some hi-fi magazine that suggested the following:
AKG K100
JVC SR325
Stax System 2
Technics Rf-F180
I'm investigating now. I tried a pair of Sony v600 (100) good bass i must say but I returned them because the highs were extra crispy but come to find it may just be my cd player.
Old 08-11-00, 10:24 PM

www.headphone.com is a great site to find information about headphones. Check out their headphone product page for ideas of headphones in your pricerange.

Some people have mentioned that a refurbished Sennheisser HD-580 can be bought for $130 at ubid.com. It normally sells for $200 with a DSP decoder and it is worth it.

Another site to look at is www.headwize.com which is a great place to get all sorts of information. They have a pretty good forum and a list of links to other headphone resources.
Old 08-12-00, 04:08 AM

i was looking at the grado sr60s becuase i originally wanted a good pair of phones. after listening to the 60's and the 80's i ended up buying the 80's because i liked the added bass they had. i was originally worried if my little sony diskman would be able to power them efficiently, when i got home i tried them with my dislman first and they sounded great, then i tried them with my receiver and they sounded even better. they were also a lot more comfortable than i was expecting. only bad thing: keep an eye on the cord, it gets tangled and twisted very easily. also, being open eared, they can get a bit loud for others who may be in the room, but i dont really care about that. overall, i am very happy with my purchase, which cost me around $100.