Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

"Until the Light Takes Us" a Norwegian Black Metal movie

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-10, 07:06 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I did a search on this and didn't find anything so if there is a thread on this I apologize. I picked up the newest Rue Morgue because i saw they had an article on King Diamond and as a (i guess you call it a full page) side bar they had a mini-article on Audrey Ewell and Aaron Aites film on Norwegian Black Metal "Until the Light Takes Us". And while i grew up on metal that grew into being a fan of bands like Death and Morbid Angel, I never got into the whole Black Metal scene i've always been a little interested in it. And for some reason I love documentaries or books on subjects like this. I think its website is blackmetalmovie.com for theater dates and cities and it has the trailer on it which doesn't go into to much detail but it does make me want to see it more.
I don't know how many people on here are fans of this kinda music but I thought some may find it interesting.
Old 03-18-10, 07:15 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: "Until the Light Takes Us" a Norwegian Black Metal movie

I read a few reviews of it and I'll see it when it finally becomes available on DVD.

I just hope it's a lot better than those awful Sam Dunn documentaries.
Old 02-22-11, 11:44 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I picked this up on BD recently and watched it the other day. The stories behind this scene have always fascinated me, but this doc is often meandering and rudderless. The main focus is on Varg Vikernes (of Burzum fame) and Fenriz (of Darkthrone fame), but neither of the two is very interesting, especially Fenriz who comes off as kinda pathetic. The appeal of black metal and it's eventual commercialization is hardly even touched upon, and the narrative frequently loses focus. There aren't enough interview subjects, and those they do have aren't terribly interesting. At 93 minutes, it feels long.

But... there is a solid 240 min. of bonus materials with many extended interviews and footage to make up for the weak feature. It's worth buying if you're a fan of bands from that scene, but don't go in expecting much. I did, and found myself disappointed.
Old 02-22-11, 12:40 PM

I thought Fenriz seemed pretty interesting, but a lot of the story is well known to people already fans of the genre, but it is kind of neat to see these people and hear them talking, even if some of them (Immortal) aren't given nearly enough screen time for my liking. I feel weird saying this about a documentary on extreme metal, but I really liked how it was shot and all of the shots of the scenery. I think I read a review that called it an "art house" documentary about black metal or something similar

I only skimmed some of the special features, but I did find the feature pretty interesting, even if it differed from my expectations.
Old 02-22-11, 12:50 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

would it hurt people to just put up a trailer?

<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="640" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/Sr_RaCM-1ug" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 02-22-11, 01:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Don't get mad because we made you do work.
Old 02-23-11, 12:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 228 Likes on 145 Posts

This is avaiable on Netflix, watch it now if anyone is interested.
Old 02-24-11, 07:37 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

God bless Netflix streaming... Its worth it just so I can watch all the damn documentaries I seem to miss out on.
Old 02-25-11, 10:53 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've honestly forgotten about it, thank you for info on the Instant Watch on Netlfix. Sorry Snake about not putting up a trailer when I originally posted the thread, I would go with the excuse that I looked but couldn't find it, but since i mention it in the original post that won't work. I'll go with I'm just lazy or too stupid to know how to post vids.
Old 03-14-12, 03:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 361 Likes on 304 Posts

Watched this yesterday.

I liked it outside the last 20 minutes of the film being sort of muddled.
Old 03-15-12, 12:37 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I know it's customary for documentaries about Black Metal to only focus on 3 or 4 individuals in one specific scene because the majority are made by people who're only interested in the look instead of what should actually count (the music) but.. would it kill them every once in a while to make a black metal documentary that actually has, I dunno, black metal music in it? I mean, other than War.