Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Have you ever met someone who doesn't like movies?

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-10, 07:11 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 447 Likes on 253 Posts

I had a date with someone a few years ago and during the course of the evening she told me that she doesn't like movies. I was stunned when I heard this as I had never met someone who felt that way. I asked her why and she said that when she watched a film, she always knew that it was fake and that someone was out of sight with a camera filming it...she could not suspend her disbelief to get into the story...it was like she was seeing the camera and all the people making it while watching the actors.

Of course, being such a huge film buff, there was no chance of a second date (not that I would have dated her again even if she liked films).

Just wondering if anyone else has run across someone who doesn't watch movies...for whatever reason.

Last edited by Jaymole; 03-18-10 at 07:14 AM.
Old 03-18-10, 07:33 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Re: Have you ever met someone who doesn't like movies?

my best friend's girlfriend doesn't really care for movies...she swears she's only seen about 10 movies all the way through in one sitting.
Old 03-18-10, 08:14 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

All four of my sisters hate going to the theatre, and rarely watch a DVD at home. I get a lot of concerned looks when they see my shelves of DVDs.
Old 03-18-10, 08:23 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts

I had a great-grandmother who had the same disdain for "talkies" that most of you have for 3D.
Old 03-18-10, 08:41 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 849 Likes on 592 Posts

I know a few people like this. It's not like they've never watched a movie before, but it would be a rare occassion to watch one - regardless of theatre or DVD. Probably watch 1 or 2 movies a year max.

I knew someone who didn't like music and never listens to it. I find that more strange.
Old 03-18-10, 09:04 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts

The last movie my grandmother saw was a rerelease of Wizard of Oz with my mother back in the late 50's. That wasn't the last movie she saw in theaters, that was the last movie she saw period. Even nowadays, she leaves a room if everybody is sitting around watching a movie, it just doesn't interest her.
Old 03-18-10, 09:06 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 81 Likes on 61 Posts

While she didn't dislike movies, a girl I went out with a few years ago stated that she didn't understand the appeal of being a "movie buff." Even after I explained the reasoning behind it, she still didn't get it. Yeah, I ended that quickly. No one needs narrow-mindedness.
Old 03-18-10, 09:40 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My wife comes close. It's not that she dislikes movies as a whole (although she has a very narrow range), but especially since we had kids, she thinks watching them (or any TV) is a complete waste of time and hates that I do it so much.

I've given up for the most part on asking her to watch movies/tv with me; other than watching family stuff with the kids, I do it primarily on my own time. We usually go to the theater about 3-4 times a year and watch something alone without the kids about the same amount of times.
Old 03-18-10, 10:36 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My dad. Last movie he went to was "American Beauty" while on a date.

He was embarassed and I do not blame him, horrible movie. Very depressing and the stuff with a minor...need I say more.

It was the 1st movie he had sceen in 25 years, and he has not been back since.

Not sure how I am his son, I love movies and he hates them, a was of time (Which he can be correct at times.)
Old 03-18-10, 10:40 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 239 Likes on 175 Posts

Guess my wife comes close. Doesn't hate movies but we rarely see anything at the theater and she usually falls asleep within the first 20 minutes at home. Oh well, my love of movies easily offsets her lack thereof.
Old 03-18-10, 10:48 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

My gf isn't nearly as into movies as I am. Even when we do sit down to watch one, she's usually incredibly fidgety and asks a lot of questions. But thankfully she does humor me and watches what I want.
Old 03-18-10, 11:25 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 277 Likes on 212 Posts

Originally Posted by Jaymole
I had a date with someone a few years ago and during the course of the evening she told me that she doesn't like movies. I was stunned when I heard this as I had never met someone who felt that way. I asked her why and she said that when she watched a film, she always knew that it was fake and that someone was out of sight with a camera filming it...she could not suspend her disbelief to get into the story...it was like she was seeing the camera and all the people making it while watching the actors.
That's a fascinating account and I'd really like to know more about someone like that. Does she dislike paintings because she can only see the artist with his brush and palette? What kind of entertainment does she like? Does she read books or see music concerts? That's an interesting psychological dimension--being unable to suspend disbelief at all when watching a film. Does she watch and enjoy documentaries? News broadcasts? Game shows?

If I met someone like that I'd really want to interview them closely about this. But then I can't understand why people won't watch black-and-white movies.
Old 03-18-10, 11:33 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

My great aunt didn't like movies and hadn't seen one in over 50 years when we talked her into coming with the family several years back. We took her to Back to the Future, Part 2.

Needless to say.....MIND BLOWN.
Old 03-18-10, 11:37 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I dated a girl who said that films could not be art. After that, I just stayed in it for the sex.
Old 03-18-10, 12:00 PM

I never met her, but I bet Helen Keller hated movies.
Old 03-18-10, 12:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Ash Ketchum
That's a fascinating account and I'd really like to know more about someone like that. Does she dislike paintings because she can only see the artist with his brush and palette? What kind of entertainment does she like? Does she read books or see music concerts? That's an interesting psychological dimension--being unable to suspend disbelief at all when watching a film. Does she watch and enjoy documentaries? News broadcasts? Game shows?

If I met someone like that I'd really want to interview them closely about this. But then I can't understand why people won't watch black-and-white movies.
If I had dated her a few more times I would have liked to ask her a lot more questions about it. I asked her if she always felt this way and she yes...she did enjoy art and music though as we ended up talking about those subjects mostly.
Old 03-18-10, 12:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by JakeNeff
My wife comes close. It's not that she dislikes movies as a whole (although she has a very narrow range), but especially since we had kids, she thinks watching them (or any TV) is a complete waste of time and hates that I do it so much.
My wife likes films, but she does get annoyed that I want to watch films so much, she gets a little jealous of them even though I always want to watch them with her.

But on the opposite side of the fence, since she met me, she has broadened her range of film viewing and will watch almost any type of movie I put on...even really bad horror films.
Old 03-18-10, 01:07 PM

You would have to tie my brother to a chair and pry his eyes open A Clockwork Orange style to get him to watch a movie.
Old 03-18-10, 01:37 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Uncultured swine!
Old 03-18-10, 01:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 201 Likes on 134 Posts

I asked her why and she said that when she watched a film, she always knew that it was fake and that someone was out of sight with a camera filming it...she could not suspend her disbelief to get into the story...it was like she was seeing the camera and all the people making it while watching the actors.
Does she also not enjoy books because she can imagine someone typing or handwriting away? Same suspension of disbelief IMO.
Old 03-18-10, 02:12 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

My mom doesn't hate movies, but she definitely doesn't go out of her way to watch them (though she does actively resist attempts to bring her to the theater.) One of her problems with a lot of movies is that she doesn't like anything with "PG-13ish" stuff in it (or PG-films with quite a bit of "bad" language, like "Back to the Future".) So when my dad or I do convince her to watch a movie it's usually something very clean - so either something old or stuff like the Pixar films. The last movie I watched with her was "Meet Me in St. Louis", and that was several months ago. I think, overall, she only watches about a dozen films a year, if that. I have a feeling that if it weren't for my dad and I she would be quite content never watching movies.

Last edited by Sondheim; 03-18-10 at 02:14 PM.
Old 03-18-10, 02:13 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 283 Likes on 181 Posts

I can't say I've met anyone who completely dislikes movies, but I do have one good friend who won't watch anything that isn't a comedy.
Old 03-18-10, 02:27 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

My wife likes films, but she does get annoyed that I want to watch films so much, she gets a little jealous of them even though I always want to watch them with her.

But on the opposite side of the fence, since she met me, she has broadened her range of film viewing and will watch almost any type of movie I put on...even really bad horror films.
I could have written this word for word.
Old 03-18-10, 02:33 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Coral
I know a few people like this. It's not like they've never watched a movie before, but it would be a rare occassion to watch one - regardless of theatre or DVD. Probably watch 1 or 2 movies a year max.

I knew someone who didn't like music and never listens to it. I find that more strange.
Yeah, that is much stranger to me than not watching movies. I can't fathom someone not listening to some type of music.
Old 03-18-10, 02:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 201 Likes on 134 Posts

"Music is none of my business."

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.