Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Have you ever met someone who doesn't like movies?

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Have you ever met someone who doesn't like movies?

Old 03-18-10, 08:46 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 176 Likes on 116 Posts
Re: Have you ever met someone who doesn't like movies?

My mom thinks very lowly of movies, because the stories "insult her intelligence." I've never gotten more out of her than this, so I can't tell you which movies she's talking about (though I know she hated Four Weddings and a Funeral and Little Man Tate).

When my brother and I were kids, she took us to the theater semi-regularly (almost always to a $1.00 second-run theater). She preferred to take us to see animated features, expecting them to be less likely to offend. Which, really, is just another mystery in all this, since she has sworn like a drunken sailor regularly since...well, at least since I was born. I grew up with classmates in school whose parents took them to see Star Wars, Indiana Jones and Back to the Future; my brother and I went to see The Transformers: The Movie (totally love it still today), GoBots and The Rescuers Down Under.

Now, the kicker in all this is...my mom is a TV junkie! Why it is that movies are so bothersome, and yet she has no problem re-watching episodes of inane sitcoms ad infinitum, I can't say.

Originally Posted by naitram
I dated a girl who said that films could not be art. After that, I just stayed in it for the sex.
Congratulations. You've just created your new signature!
Old 03-18-10, 10:00 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by MinLShaw
Now, the kicker in all this is...my mom is a TV junkie! Why it is that movies are so bothersome, and yet she has no problem re-watching episodes of inane sitcoms ad infinitum, I can't say.
My brother is kind of like this. He'll watch movies on DVD if he can, but he hardly ever goes to the theater, whereas, I go at least once a week.

Every day during the week, he'll watch Yes Dear, Everybody Loves Raymond, Seinfeld, The Office, Family Guy reruns when sports aren't on. I usually try to watch something new as much as I can.

If I was out on a date with a woman and she said she didn't like movies, I would get up, put down 1/2 of the bill and walk out.
Old 03-19-10, 04:23 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer & TOAT Winner

Received 328 Likes on 247 Posts

Having worked in the movie theater business for 10 years, I was amazed at how many other people who worked in that business didn't like movies. I felt like beating the crap out of them sometimes.

Live plays don't do anything for me partly because I can't quite 'get' seeing live people in front of me acting since I know that's what they're really doing, but for some reason it doesn't bother me if they're on a screen.

And I REALLY don't like sports, and don't understand why most people like them so much.
Old 03-19-10, 03:26 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by zekeburger1979
My brother is kind of like this. He'll watch movies on DVD if he can, but he hardly ever goes to the theater, whereas, I go at least once a week.
Just to clarify...my mom won't even watch movies at home, either. Not on VHS, not on DVD, not even on broadcast TV.

Every day during the week, he'll watch Yes Dear, Everybody Loves Raymond, Seinfeld, The Office, Family Guy reruns when sports aren't on. I usually try to watch something new as much as I can.
Confession: My wife does this every week day, now that she's been promoted and oversees the weekend shifts. I...can't...stand it! First of all, I hate most of the shows (especially since TBS added According to Jim to the mix). Secondly, she turns it on "for background." I can't stand this. I would turn on music. For some reason, that's not good enough. I tried beating her to the punch and turning on music, but she just turns on the TV anyway and I give up. I am convinced that daytime syndication is responsible for most of the misery and crime in our society.

Originally Posted by Alan Smithee
Live plays don't do anything for me partly because I can't quite 'get' seeing live people in front of me acting since I know that's what they're really doing, but for some reason it doesn't bother me if they're on a screen.
I'm quite the reverse, though I've only made it out to see a handful of plays in my life. When I watch a movie, I find myself frequently distracted by wondering just how they shot a specific scene, or how much of what's on screen was CGI, etc. It's a by-product of all those behind-the-scenes making-of features, I suppose. With a play, I just go with it, because I know everything on stage is handmade. Also, I enjoy the live nature of acting. No re-takes, and subject to a live audience influencing the synergy of the performance? That's the pinnacle of acting.

And I REALLY don't like sports, and don't understand why most people like them so much.
I only care for one sport, and that's baseball. Regardless, I think the reason I am so passionate should be familiar to fans of other sports. We're talking about live, human vs. human activity in controlled environments. It's primal. Early man may not have cared about strike zones or house rules, but the essence of competition is exhilarating (even more so if you happen to be on the field). There's no script; no one knows where the ball is headed, or who will be involved in each play. It's entirely unpredictable, even though we know there are only a few ultimate outcomes (one team/player wins, the other loses).

Also, while it's been diluted by free-agency, there's still a sense that your local team represents your community in some way. It's thrilling to be part of an "in-group" of your community rooting for the local team. You may never have met the guy next to you in line for something, but the emblem on his ballcap invites discourse about how things have been going with the team.

To recap: Sports are primal and communal. They are at the very heart of human existence, and this is why so many movies over the years have tried so hard to recreate them.
Old 03-19-10, 03:42 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 670 Likes on 448 Posts

Originally Posted by MinLShaw
I'm quite the reverse, though I've only made it out to see a handful of plays in my life. When I watch a movie, I find myself frequently distracted by wondering just how they shot a specific scene, or how much of what's on screen was CGI, etc. It's a by-product of all those behind-the-scenes making-of features, I suppose. With a play, I just go with it, because I know everything on stage is handmade. Also, I enjoy the live nature of acting. No re-takes, and subject to a live audience influencing the synergy of the performance? That's the pinnacle of acting.
Seems like you're completely contradicting yourself here.

Great 'defense' of sports though.
Old 03-19-10, 03:45 PM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,181 Likes on 834 Posts

My wife complains that I don't like the same movies as her, so I will typically turn down invitations to movies I have no interest in. Instead, she'll go with her friend. She thinks I'm a snob. I just don't want to spend money to see every single RomCom that comes out.
Old 03-19-10, 03:46 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Trevor
Seems like you're completely contradicting yourself here.
I certainly didn't mean to muddle my remarks. If I might take another stab at it, I would say that I know that all acting is "fake." I'm more distracted by how "fake" it is in a movie or on TV, where I sometimes dissect whether things were ever even real at all, or entirely created digitally. With live acting, I simply accept the pseudo-environment and the props as "real" and concentrate on the story as told through unfiltered performances.
Old 03-19-10, 03:48 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by SomethingMore
My wife complains that I don't like the same movies as her, so I will typically turn down invitations to movies I have no interest in. Instead, she'll go with her friend. She thinks I'm a snob. I just don't want to spend money to see every single RomCom that comes out.
My wife insists I still "owe" her for dragging her to see Kill Bill Vol. 2 and Sin City. I would think that enduring Failure to Launch and The Prince & Me would make us square, but as any married guy knows...you're never "square." Never.
Old 03-19-10, 06:40 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

My girlfriend thinks of movies as something to do when you're really bored and there's nothing better to do. I find that she dislikes more movies than she likes. Fortunately, she'll give pretty much anything a chance, and I'm often surprised at what she ends up liking. For instance, she found Antichrist pretty fascinating (as did I), and she loved Irreversible. And she hates crap like Twilight and most other mindless dreck. Still though, she'd just as soon sit and watch old episodes of "The Wonder Years" on Youtube as sit and watch a Kurosawa movie with me.
Old 03-19-10, 08:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 275 Likes on 210 Posts

I don't like plays because there are no closeups.

Same reason I don't like sitting in the stands to watch an actual sports event. The action is too far away.
Old 03-19-10, 09:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 75 Likes on 64 Posts

Never met someone that didn't like movies but I have a co-worker at my job who refuses to watch foreign films with subtitles. She wont even watch American films that have a lot of subtitles like Inglorious bastards. She's missing out on some great movies.
Old 03-19-10, 09:25 PM

Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

I can honestly say I don't goto the movies anymore, nor do I really care about any new movies anymore. I think the reason I feel that way is simple, "been there done that." What I mean is that how many thrillers can you watch? How many romantic comedies can you watch? How many action movies can you watch? Most genres have been beat to death, and it is the same crap, so whats the point anymore?

I have HBO for the shows and specials, but I can't remember the last new movie I watched from start to finish.
Old 03-19-10, 10:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 814 Likes on 569 Posts

Originally Posted by mhg83
Never met someone that didn't like movies but I have a co-worker at my job who refuses to watch foreign films with subtitles.
You'll find a lot like that on this forum.
Old 03-19-10, 11:07 PM

I know several people who don't dislike movies they just don't care to watch them that much for different reasons. I have an aunt whose family is really into sports they spend a lot of money for sports packages on DirecTV. Her sons and grandchildren only go the movies about a once a year. When they aren't watching sports they usually watch reruns of past TV shows at TVLand or Nick at Nite.

I have a friend who is in the Air Force who married to a guy who was raised Mormon. She met him about two years while in Japan and they just got married recently. They came into town recently to visit friends and relatives. I offered to take them to out to dinner and to movie or a concert. My friend told me right away that they would rather go to the concert. His parents didn't let him watched rated R movies and he said they only owned about 30 VHS movies which were mostly kid movies. He left the Mormon church when he was 17 due to family issues. My friend told me that he can never get into watching movies. He does like some TV shows and he watches a lot of sports.

I also know people who like movies but don't care for TV shows.

Last edited by writer106; 03-19-10 at 11:21 PM.
Old 03-20-10, 01:26 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Ash Ketchum
I don't like plays because there are no closeups.

Same reason I don't like sitting in the stands to watch an actual sports event. The action is too far away.
I understand the sense of being removed from what cameras can bring much closer, but for my taste, there's simply nothing comparable to actually being there.

My favorite baseball experience to date was a Reds game several years back. My friend and I were there the night Jose Rijo had come out of retirement to join the team, and we had seats looking directly down into the bullpen. As soon as he began to warm up, our entire section stood in unison and gave him a round of applause, entirely confusing the rest of the crowd, who wondered why an entire section would randomly give a standing ovation to...nothing happening at all. Then, they flashed it on the stadium-wide scoreboard that Rijo was warming up, and the rest of the crowd joined us. The place erupted when he eventually was brought into the game.

Whether any of this was broadcast on TV or not, I couldn't say. Could I read the whites of the eyes of any players from behind the right field wall? No. But for that night, that moment...I had the best seat in the house. I get chills even now just thinking about it.
Old 03-20-10, 01:55 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

One of my managers at work says she can't watch movies. She gets too bored and can't pay attention. She says she will read books for hours, though. But no movies at all, I guess.
Old 03-20-10, 02:29 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by calhoun07
One of my managers at work says she can't watch movies. She gets too bored and can't pay attention. She says she will read books for hours, though. But no movies at all, I guess.
I can relate to this, actually. I love movies, but I go through cycles where I tire of them easily. It seems that I'm most likely to enjoy movies when the weather is either really cold or really hot. On a Goldilocks-perfect day in the mid 60s-mid 80s, though, I tend to shy away from movies. I feel like it's just wasteful for me to sit and do nothing for 90-120 minutes.

With a book, it's different for two reasons. Firstly, I find a book to be more engrossing, more involving, than a film. Perhaps it's because of the interior thoughts, perhaps it's something to do with the fact that I read it at my own pace rather than have the film go by on its own; I don't know. The other thing is, I can read a book anywhere. If I want to watch a movie, I have to be in front of a TV, or go to the theater. I can lounge in my hammock with a book, and get some fresh air at the same time.

Someone on here uses a quote as his signature, and it's something to the effect of how a good movie is never long enough, and a bad movie is never over soon enough. I think there's something liberating about books, in that they're measured in page numbers...not time. I definitely get what your manager means by expressing her preference for one medium over the other.

My counter to her would be that film offers us some things that can't be reproduced in a book. Beyond the audio/visual nature of the medium, there's the fact that a movie does proceed at its own pace, independent of the viewer's ability or interest. You can't linger on any one thing in a movie, because the movie has already progressed. It keeps the tension building in a way that isn't as common for the written tale.

Ultimately, both media are forms of art. I still believe that books should not be read, nor movies seen, but that works of art should be felt. So long as you're feeling whatever it is you read or see, I think you're doing alright for yourself.