Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Anime Talk
Reload this Page >

Need help finding a good Anime series, from those who are more in the Know than I.

Community
Search
Anime Talk Discuss Anime on DVD & Blu-Ray, CGI animations, Manga and other cool stuff from Japan!

Need help finding a good Anime series, from those who are more in the Know than I.

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-10, 08:33 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey guys.

Im not an anime watcher. I have LOVED some anime in the past, particuarly Cowboy Beebob (the whole series) and Samurai Shalmpoo. I also like Ninja Scrolls the movie. And I enjoyed The Slayers series. FLCL was ok, but a bit over the top.

I dont like Dragon Ball Z, Naturo, or Bleach. I detest pokemon and Sailor mooons. ALthough of all of those, Bleach is the best, but its stories are so dang repetitive.

Im looking for a seires with the following qualitlies.
* Good Adult level dialog and writing.
* Long (at least 20 or so episodes, I dont want to get attached to a set of characters for 4 shows)
* Decent combat but not over the top violence.

(optional)
* A little fan service (boob flashes, yeah I said it. Im ok with myself).
* No heavy BSDM (which is gonna be hard in a Anime series with boob flashes, cause of those wierd kinky Japanese). I dont like Bible Black at all.

Other than that, I dont really care if its Sci-fi or Fantasy. A little romance would be ok, but im not sure I want a PURE romance series. (No Tenchi in Tokyo).

Does anyone out there have some suggestions for a good series to start?

Thanks,

Dharaman
Old 02-14-10, 12:22 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Re: Need help finding a good Anime series, from those who are more in the Know than I

OMG, you sound identical to me a few years ago.

Originally Posted by dharman07
I dont like Dragon Ball Z, Naturo, or Bleach. I detest pokemon and Sailor mooons. ALthough of all of those, Bleach is the best, but its stories are so dang repetitive.
I thought I was the only one to say that. One Piece needs to be added. If you are truelly like me, Animes that get on tv in the U.S. are not really the greatest. Code Geass I think was the best on tv.

My list would be good for people 17+ years old. Most of these are rated for 13+ year olds, Nothing is rated 18+ only.
Some animes on my list like Shuffle, Maburaho, Kanon and Clannad are more dramas with no combat.

Best fan service animes

*Shuffle!
*Air Gear
*Maburaho
*To Love Ru - Subtitles only
Ah My Buddha
Girls Bravo
Vandread
Love Hina

Under 20 episodes very good fan service animes

Strain
Hanaukyo Maid Team
Najica Blitz Tactics
Happy Lesson
Agent Aika
Aika R*16
Please Teacher!
Please Twins!
Stratos4
Grenadier
Green Green
Indian Summer - Subtitles only

Highly recomended animes

*Chrono Crusade
*Last Exile
*Kanon
*Clannad/Clannad After Story - Subtitles only
*Kaze no Stigma
*Sharugan No Shana
Fate/stay night
Chobits
Bamboo Blade
El Cazador De La Bruja
Negima!
Romeo x Juliet
Kiddy Grade
Best Student Council
Burst Angel
Kaleido Star
Karin
Ai Yori Aoshi
Angelic Layer
Sister Princess

Under 20 episodes Highly recomended animes

The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya
Kannazuki No Miko
The Familiar of Zero
Elfen Lied - Very violent at first but very good anime
This Ugly Yet Beautiful World
Yumeria
Air

On Funimations video player http://www4.funimation.com/video/? check out Air Gear, Shuffle!, Sharugan No Shana, and Kanon, other animes on my list is on there to. see if my list would be what your looking for.
On Crunchyroll http://www.crunchyroll.com/ check out Chrono Crusade, and Last Exile with Subtitles only.
You might also love kenichi and Soul Eater - I do not own them yet.

* - Extremely High recomended animes. If you like these I think you will, might just turn you into a devoted anime fan.

My list is not really best to just good animes. If you need more suggestions let me know. I own many more great animes.

Last edited by chrisc31; 02-14-10 at 05:25 PM.
Old 02-14-10, 06:03 PM

Re: Need help finding a good Anime series, from those who are more in the Know than I

Chrisc31

thanks so much for your well thought out response. Im an avid Netflix user, and Netflix carries MOST of the anime your talking about.

Now I dont *have* to have fanservice, its only a suggestion. I do want more intelligent communcation.

I thought Slayers was fun, and enjoyed Lodos war. As said though my favorite anime was Cowboy Bebob and Samurai Shamploo. Thanks for your suggestions and I will order some disks.

Although after your descriptions, the Ah My Buddah is gonna go on my list. Vandread as well. I have seen clips for Soul eater, and it looks really good as well (though slighlty like a Bleach takeoff).

Any good ninja suggestions? How was the Ninja Scroll TV series? I liked the movie.

Dharman

Last edited by dharman07; 02-14-10 at 06:07 PM.
Old 02-14-10, 06:23 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Never seen Ninja Scroll try Samurai 7. I am also going to puch the animes Kaze no Stigma, Sharugan No Shana, Fate/stay night not ninja though, but excellent combat. Other then that check out the Trailors on Funimations player, They would have the best ninja animes.

Last edited by chrisc31; 02-14-10 at 06:49 PM.
Old 02-14-10, 06:51 PM
DVD & Video Game Reviewer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Some decent recommendations from chrisc31. Based on what you've seen and enjoyed I'd go with these as recommendations as well:

Black Lagoon (you'd probably enjoy this one A LOT)
Heat Guy J
Wolf's Rain
Samurai 7
Eureka Seven

As far as shows already suggested I'd second these without hesitation:

Last Exile
The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya

And if you're looking for a film Sword of the Stranger is quite good and similar-ish to Ninja Scroll.

Hope this helps!

T
Old 02-14-10, 07:01 PM
Banned

Any good ninja suggestions? How was the Ninja Scroll TV series? I liked the movie.

Dharman
Basilisk
Shigurui Death Frenzy
Afro Samurai

Last edited by junglalien; 02-14-10 at 07:16 PM.
Old 02-14-10, 08:10 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Ninja Animes, may be more then these

Ninja Scroll
Samurai Shamploo
Samurai 7
Afro Samurai
Basilisk
Shigurui Death Frenzy
Nabari no Ou
Rorouni Kenshin
Samurai Deeper Kyo
Blade of the Immortal
Samurai X
Sword of the Stranger

Edit: I was saying Kenichi when I was thinking Nabari no Ou

Last edited by chrisc31; 02-14-10 at 09:16 PM.
Old 02-14-10, 08:35 PM

ninja stuff?

Nabari no Ou is worth checking out, but it gets a little "meh" towards the end.
Ninja Nonsense is off-the-wall comedy with ninjas
Jubei Chan is another popular-ish one, but it's rather polarizing

Oh, and it's not ninja, but I can't believe Tenchi Muyo hasn't been mentioned yet! Absolute must!
Old 02-15-10, 04:34 AM

Darker than Black
Phantom - Requiem for the Phantom

Both of the above can be seen at Funimations website.

Outlaw Star is similar to Cowboy Bebop but not on the same level.
Old 02-15-10, 01:12 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex

Watch it.
Old 02-15-10, 05:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 277 Likes on 212 Posts

Hey guys.

Im not an anime watcher. I have LOVED some anime in the past, particuarly Cowboy Beebob (the whole series) and Samurai Shalmpoo. I also like Ninja Scrolls the movie. And I enjoyed The Slayers series. FLCL was ok, but a bit over the top.
I'd like to recommend COWBOY BEBOP and SAMURAI CHAMPLOO, series that are far superior to the cheap knockoffs you cited.
Old 02-15-10, 05:32 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Ash Ketchum
I'd like to recommend COWBOY BEBOP and SAMURAI CHAMPLOO, series that are far superior to the cheap knockoffs you cited.
What? I am confused.
Old 02-15-10, 07:12 PM

Originally Posted by Ash Ketchum
Thats odd, I thought I was pretty specific that I watched Cowboy Bebop and Samuri Champloo and they were my favorites.

Ah well...

Hey guys, I want to say THANKS for the great suggestions. There is a lot here to keep me busy for the next few months or so. Im going to start with Black Lagoon and Clannad, with a little Ah My Buddha thrown in.

Thanks again to everyone who took my request seriously enough to respond.

[Edit: Ahhh.. I see the troll was correcting my spelling. God Bless Anonymity]

Last edited by dharman07; 02-15-10 at 07:14 PM. Reason: Trolls... nuf said.
Old 02-16-10, 03:09 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

If you like Clannad make sure you see Kanon.
Old 02-16-10, 07:39 PM

Hey guys, I want to say THANKS for the great suggestions. There is a lot here to keep me busy for the next few months or so. Im going to start with Black Lagoon and Clannad, with a little Ah My Buddha thrown in.
Good choice with Black Lagoon and Clannad! I can't speak for Ah My Buddha though. Please post to let us know what you felt of the three and which one you enjoyed more!
Old 02-16-10, 08:06 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

@ Dragon Fly or anyone else.

Looking at my animes I own http://myanimelist.net/profile/chrisc
Can you think of anything I might like? I am sure you have been watchng anime a lot longer then me. I don't care for animes with a lot of violence. I pretty much know what was releast this past year still have a few of them to buy like Bamboo Blade, Spice and wolf, Tower of druaga but if you can think of any animes releast before this past year. Like I just found out about Strain a month ago and loved it.

Last edited by chrisc31; 02-16-10 at 08:51 PM.
Old 02-16-10, 09:17 PM

I took a look at your list chrisc31. :-) someone likes their fanservice! LOL

Everything I was about to suggest off the top of my head was already on your list. However, you might get a kick out of Sorcerer Hunters, Magikano, or Linebarrels of Iron (though I despised this show).

I do see the glaring omission of Tenchi Muyo! the OVA & Universe on your list though!
Old 02-16-10, 09:31 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Dragon Fly
I took a look at your list chrisc31. :-) someone likes their fanservice! LOL
I hate hentai animes though.

Everything I was about to suggest off the top of my head was already on your list. However, you might get a kick out of Sorcerer Hunters, Magikano, or Linebarrels of Iron (though I despised this show).
I rented Magikano but never got around to buy it. Linebarrels of Iron I watched the first few episodes ang got bored I don't car for gundam like robots, I will check out Sorcerer Hunters.

I do see the glaring omission of Tenchi Muyo! the OVA & Universe on your list though!
I would buy Tenchi Muyo! OVA If I could find the dvds at a decent price, after all thats what got me into anime.

Last edited by chrisc31; 02-16-10 at 09:58 PM.
Old 02-16-10, 09:35 PM

Originally Posted by chrisc31
after all thats what got me into anime.
ditto.