Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

card catalog/computer program?

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-10, 11:55 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
card catalog/computer program?

Does anyone have or had a card catalog/computer program to locate titles within your collection? Alphabetizing my collection is getting to be a pain. I've been letting them pile up a bit first before I put anything away but even then there is a lot to move. So I thought about perhaps doing some kind of card catalog system to easily locate a title. I just look the title up and it will list what self it is on. That way I can just add titles to my shelves as I get them and not have to worry about alphabetizing them. Not sure if I'm going to go this way yet but I was wondering if anyone else does anything similar and how it has worked out.
Old 01-27-10, 12:04 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: card catalog/computer program?

I'm using DVD Profiler which includes two location fields. Personally, I have them split bookshelf/row. Many of the software cataloging systems have locations fields. Frankly, it hasn't been that big of a deal while I've had things stored on shelves. I'm currently evaluating whether to move to a box file type of storage system because I'm running out of walls. In that case, where the discs are not visible, I would consider location information within my cataloging program to be a necessity.

Last edited by mdnitoil; 01-27-10 at 12:07 PM.
Old 01-27-10, 12:50 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The Man with the Golden Doujinshi's Avatar

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Part of my collection relates to this. I have about 6,000 or so movies that I keep in binders that I've labeled numerically. I use Movie Collector and under the location I put the number.

It works fine as long as I remove movies from my collection software when I remove them from my collection and put movies back when I'm done, along with putting them back in the right case. There's been more than a couple times where I didn't put a movie back and spent a long time trying to find it. It would be even worse if I put it in the wrong case.

Other than not having room for all these cases, it works fine for me.

edit: One of the benefits of having software that run off the computer instead of the internet is if the internet goes down or the site is having problems or even shuts down, I still have access to my collection and can find things.
Old 01-28-10, 03:20 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I posted this in another thread, but here it is again, slightly updated.

Here is a DVD cataloging program I've been working on. I'm new to Visual Basic programming and this is my first attempt at a real program.

Here's how it looks.
This is the standard view:

This is the thumbnail view:

I made the display customizable. In the datagrid I can choose to view the title of the movie, the dvd title, year, director, language, aspect ratio, etc, etc by checking the display options. I can filter to show just TV shows, just movies, or both. The "Search By" drop down lets me choose which criteria I'm searching by.

Here is the Advanced Search form, where I can search by multiple criteria at once:

I included a Collection Stats page to keep track of a handful of interesting statistics about my collection:

This is the Add/Edit form. If I click "Add New DVD" a blank form comes up. If I double click a record, it's filled in and I can edit the info or the cover image:

I'm pretty proud of how this turned out. It's nice having a DVD program custom made for my own collection.
Old 01-28-10, 09:25 AM

caiman, that looks very good. Do you get the data from an online database, or enter it manually?
Old 01-28-10, 11:56 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by mdnitoil
I'm using DVD Profiler which includes two location fields. Personally, I have them split bookshelf/row. Many of the software cataloging systems have locations fields. Frankly, it hasn't been that big of a deal while I've had things stored on shelves. I'm currently evaluating whether to move to a box file type of storage system because I'm running out of walls. In that case, where the discs are not visible, I would consider location information within my cataloging program to be a necessity.
That's useful to know. I've been moving some of my DVDs to binders, but keeping them organized so I can quickly find them has been sort of an obstacle (so far I've mostly just done TV series that are over so I know they are complete), this feature of profiler might help take care of that.
Old 01-28-10, 12:01 PM

Damn Caiman that is sweet! Any plans to share that?
Old 01-28-10, 12:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 379 Likes on 236 Posts

I'm pretty sure I gave a to you in another thread, caiman. Still very impressed with what you've got there.
Old 01-28-10, 12:21 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by outlander78
caiman, that looks very good. Do you get the data from an online database, or enter it manually?
It's all manual right now, unfortunately. Though if I ever do decide to share it or sell it in some way, I'll have to figure out how to connect it with IMDB or another large database.