Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

Audio delay when playing CDs on Sony BDP-S360 !!

Community
Search
HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-10, 04:45 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Last edited by Lemmy; 01-11-11 at 10:04 AM.
Old 01-22-10, 07:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Re: Audio delay when playing CDs on Sony BDP-S360 !!

Do you have some kind of volume normalizing setting? "Smart volume" or something like that?
Old 01-22-10, 09:17 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 87 Likes on 55 Posts

I know when my receiver is set on AUTO input and I am using Optical or Coaxial cable, it sometimes takes a second or so to "see" what the audio source is... It also cuts off the beginning.
Old 02-18-10, 10:49 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Very interesting that you bring this up...

I purchased a NAD L73 (all in one DVD receiver) for my son for Christmas and experienced the same very annoying problem (delay in start of audio) with several store bought CDs.. I thought the unit might be faulty so I ordered a NAD L53 (all in one DVD receiver) to replace this unit and it did exactly the same thing... I have 3 other DVD players in my house (LG, Toshiba, Sanyo) and they play all CDs perfectly from the very beginning... I pursued the matter and here was the official response from NAD's tech support outfit:

"There is mute for maybe 500mS to prevent pop noises. Also this is a DVD player so it has to figure out if the media is CD or DVD, hence the extra delay.

This is an issue only with CD that are not recorded with CD Red standard which stipulate that the beginning should left blank. Some CD's are recorded from the very beginning.

What you are hearing is a combination of mute time, reading and figuring out the disc type and also to prevent pops during this time.

As this model is no longer in production, further software releases are not being developed."

I informed them that the CDs were major release, store purchased, I would think these CDs abide by the Red Book standard, and asked if there is an NAD firmware fix for this problem.... Their response was that the unit is now discontinued and there is no planned firmware fix...

Pretty shabby response from an outfit that purports to be 'mid - high' end.. I have asked some very knowledgable people in audio and they have not heard of this problem so it may be unique to a few manufacturers. As all the wiring on this unit is internal (it's a combined DVD, receiver in one box) it's not a cable issue....

I would like to see what Sony says about the problem. At least I've confirmed that I'm not losing my mind and that is a real issue...

Others please chime in...

Regards,

Bill