Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

Inglourious Basterds & burned-in subs

Community
Search
HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-10, 09:15 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

hi, i was close to buying the Inglourious Basterds BD until i learned about the burned-in German/French subtitles. my question is-- what happens to those subs if i select, let's say, the French audio track? the French subs would still be there, i assume.

anyone know if this is also the case with the Canadian/Alliance release?

thanks!
Old 01-11-10, 01:24 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Re: Inglourious Basterds & burned-in subs

You mean the burned-in English subtitles for German and French dialogue? If so, I would have to point out that this is no doubt more of an artistic choice by Tarantino than a poor decision by Universal.
Old 01-11-10, 01:26 PM

i wasn't cursing out Universal. Tarantino making an artistic choice does make it a bit better. it's just that, being bilingual, i found it annoying listening to the French actors and having subs display at the bottom of the screen. i was hoping some edition didn't have them burned-in.
Old 01-11-10, 05:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by alull
hi, i was close to buying the Inglourious Basterds BD until i learned about the burned-in German/French subtitles. my question is-- what happens to those subs if i select, let's say, the French audio track? the French subs would still be there, i assume.

anyone know if this is also the case with the Canadian/Alliance release?

thanks!
If they're burned in, they're burned in. And on the American release, they are. That's likely because the release was intended for the English-speaking American market. I don't know what you'll find on the Canadian release. But if you decide to buy the French release, Universal's Blu-rays tend to be region-free.
Old 01-11-10, 10:17 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Try getting the European release from France or someplace (not the UK) which does not have the burned in subtitles.

I guess it is an artistic choice, but it's not necessary with Blu-ray. With DVD, "player generated" subtitles looked like crap. With Blu-ray, they can be nearly seamless.
Old 01-11-10, 10:27 PM

Canadian disc is exactly the same as the US. Burned in.
Old 01-11-10, 11:37 PM

Originally Posted by Rocks Off
Canadian disc is exactly the same as the US. Burned in.
thanks. someone on another forum just told me.
might go with the burned-in subs. no idea yet.
Old 01-12-10, 12:24 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer & TOAT Winner

Received 333 Likes on 252 Posts

Wait a minute- someone's complaining because they actually did it RIGHT this time? There's tons of movies I haven't bought because burned-in subtitles were replaced with electronic ones, including Kill Bill. They're part of the movie, so they should stay in- don't mess it up to please those who watch it in a different language than its native one.
Old 01-12-10, 04:11 AM

Originally Posted by Alan Smithee
Wait a minute- someone's complaining because they actually did it RIGHT this time? There's tons of movies I haven't bought because burned-in subtitles were replaced with electronic ones, including Kill Bill. They're part of the movie, so they should stay in- don't mess it up to please those who watch it in a different language than its native one.
What about digital subs that preserve the original intentions? Doesn't sound like it'd be too hard and I don't know why they didn't do that for IB.
Old 01-13-10, 10:56 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I hate the electronic subtitles, so was more than pleased that Bastards got it right.