Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

Why don't my player work with BD-Live?

Community
Search
HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-09, 11:36 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have an LG 370, which claims to be a BD-Live player. When I put in one of the Bourne series discs and start up its BD-Live feature, the disc claims that my player isn't a BD-Live capable player. The network connection is good, I've updated to the latest firmware, and BD-Live is set to Permitted. What could be causing this problem?
Old 12-23-09, 11:55 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Re: Why don't my player work with BD-Live?

Originally Posted by aynrandgirl
I have an LG 370, which claims to be a BD-Live player. When I put in one of the Bourne series discs and start up its BD-Live feature, the disc claims that my player isn't a BD-Live capable player. The network connection is good, I've updated to the latest firmware, and BD-Live is set to Permitted. What could be causing this problem?
Do you have some storage? I think you need 1GB or something like that. Many players require the addition of a flash drive to accomplish this...
Old 12-23-09, 12:02 PM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts

You need a 1GB Flashdrive in the USB port at all times to be 2.0 compliant. Sadly, the LG BD370 has its USB port in the front, under plastic so it looks stupid as hell when plugged in all the time. Very poor design.
Old 12-23-09, 12:17 PM

Originally Posted by GizmoDVD
You need a 1GB Flashdrive in the USB port at all times to be 2.0 compliant.
Oh. I didn't know that. I thought the 370 had internal storage.
Old 12-23-09, 12:24 PM
Suspended

Oh. I didn't know that. I thought the 370 had internal storage.
Nope, the BD390 does. But a simple 1GB flashdrive will fix that issue for you. You don't have to keep it plugged in unless you want to be 'connected' at all times.
Old 12-23-09, 12:38 PM

You're right, that USB drive does indeed look silly. A CompactFlash slot would have been a better approach for front-loading storage.
Old 12-23-09, 12:43 PM
Suspended

You're right, that USB drive does indeed look silly. A CompactFlash slot would have been a better approach for front-loading storage.
It's why I initially returned mine. Should have been on the back of the unit. The BD390 has it in the front, but it's not under a plastic flap. I bought a 370 for my sister and will be getting her a Mini 1GB Flash drive. Still will have a bulge, but not as bad.
Old 12-23-09, 12:54 PM
Cool New Member

Are you sure it has to be 1Gb? My Philips player has an SD card slot and I found an old 256Mb card (totally from the prehistoric era).

I can run BD Live with it no problem. Obviously I can't download 700Mb files but...
Old 12-23-09, 01:20 PM
Suspended

Originally Posted by pete5000
Are you sure it has to be 1Gb? My Philips player has an SD card slot and I found an old 256Mb card (totally from the prehistoric era).

I can run BD Live with it no problem. Obviously I can't download 700Mb files but...
1GB is required to make it BD-Live. It's possible it has some internal memory (like 512MB) and only 512MB flash drive is needed but I'm not sure on that. It does need more space, and you are better off just getting a cheap 1/2GB. Several other players come with 1GB Flashdrives/SD cards, so I think it has to be 1GB of external memory at a minimum.

But regardless, the BD370 does not take SD cards unless you have a USB adapter for it which would likely just make it look more like a Frankenstein unit.
Old 12-23-09, 01:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 650 Likes on 450 Posts

A really small USB flash drive may be tiny enough to leave plugged in, like this one:

http://www.gadgetking.com/2009/04/22...b-flash-drive/
http://www.innodisk.com/productionnn.jsp?flashid=88

http://usb.brando.com/eagletec-usb-n...92c041d15.html

The smallest capacity I could find was 4GB though.
Old 12-23-09, 05:22 PM

Originally Posted by GizmoDVD
I bought a 370 for my sister and will be getting her a Mini 1GB Flash drive. Still will have a bulge, but not as bad.
Too bad the mini drives won't fit under the plastic flap. I bought the 370 instead of the 390 because it was going for super-cheap on Black Friday, and it wasn't worth it to me to spend an additional $70-80 for internal storage and WiFi.