Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

The One and Only Shout! Studios (and Scream Factory!) Blu-ray Thread

Community
Search
HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

The One and Only Shout! Studios (and Scream Factory!) Blu-ray Thread

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-10, 11:53 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
re: The One and Only Shout! Factory Blu-ray Thread

Originally Posted by cdmac2007
Except that we would have to clear every photo with the studio or photographer and that can get expensive especially clips from other films.
That's what I figured was the case. In a perfect world where money grew on trees, we'd have a slick, exhaustive multi-media documentary presented in razor-sharp hi-def, but obviously that's just not possible for the smaller boutique labels. As it is, the interview is still a very substantial extra, and only one of many included in this wonderfully stacked release. I would love to see more Corman trailers on the discs though. Cliff, perhaps Shout could put together an unrestored trailer compilation DVD and sell it as a web exclusive for, say, $9.99? I'm sure that would be a popular release. Either way, I'm looking forward to Battle Beyond the Stars and any other possible future HD releases.
Old 09-26-10, 08:16 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just finished the star crash bluray. I was pretty shocked at how awesome this thing looked and sounded. Kudos to Shout.

Are their other titles remastered as well as this one ?? I also have the piranha release, but I haven't given it a spin yet.
Old 09-27-10, 02:49 PM

Originally Posted by NoirFan
That's what I figured was the case. In a perfect world where money grew on trees, we'd have a slick, exhaustive multi-media documentary presented in razor-sharp hi-def, but obviously that's just not possible for the smaller boutique labels. As it is, the interview is still a very substantial extra, and only one of many included in this wonderfully stacked release. I would love to see more Corman trailers on the discs though. Cliff, perhaps Shout could put together an unrestored trailer compilation DVD and sell it as a web exclusive for, say, $9.99? I'm sure that would be a popular release. Either way, I'm looking forward to Battle Beyond the Stars and any other possible future HD releases.
You will start to see other Corman trailers on future releases. We've been transfering them over the last month or so.
Old 09-27-10, 03:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Glad to hear it, thanks for the update. Any word on whether any future releases will receive Blu-ray editions?
Old 10-02-10, 12:12 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Finally started my Corman blu collection with Piranha and Forbidden World. This is a slippery slope I just got into.
Old 10-02-10, 08:41 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by SethDLH
Finally started my Corman blu collection with Piranha and Forbidden World. This is a slippery slope I just got into.
Head's up if you plan on going all the way ..
Old 10-02-10, 08:57 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by visitor Q
Head's up if you plan on going all the way ..
Thanks. I saw that yesterday and it was tempting but rarely do I have $100 to drop on movies at a single moment. Its such a good deal though. The 2 I bought last night cost me a total of about $8 after trading in some crap to a local store
Old 10-02-10, 09:17 PM

Who would think that seeing StarCrash beautifully restored and in 1080p would totally change my opinion of this obscure gem?

You see my first run-in with this film was via the French DVD release from a few years back. I can safely say that I was not impressed. Sourced from what looked like an actual exhibition print, colors were muddy and dull. Sound on the English track was even worse. Added to this I went in expect what most online reviews have incorrectly called a Star Wars rip-off.

Oh, how things have changed! I now absolutely love this film! In order to understand and appreciate StarCrash you have to know it’s background. Director Luigi Cozzi is like a kid in a candy shop. Every genre he grew up loving and admiring in Italy has been stuffed into StarCrash! From Harryhausen, Barbarella, cliffhanger serials, and beyond. It may be set in space, but Star Wars it ain’t (thankfully).

StarCrash is a romp. Cheesy, yes! Fun as hell! Mesmerizing and absolutely engrossing! It’s not high art and it was never meant to be. Everything that should be wrong (scripting, production values, special effects, some of the acting) is somehow right for this film. Plus it’s all wrapped up in John Barry’s glorious score.

Shout Factory has done wonders with this release. Rescuing Roger Corman’s decaying elements and producing an eye-popping transfer. The film has probably never looked this good. I know some were complaining about the bit rate on this, but it only dips down low in scenes with optical effects.

Enlisting Stephen Romano to produce bonus content was a no brainer. The man absolutely is nuts about this film, and thank God for that! I’m sure Shout regretted getting him involved when the bills came in! It is the most packed of the Roger Corman releases so far and there isn’t a duff feature included. The interview with Luigi Cozzi is very enlightening. He explains his early years and the genesis of the film, the writing process, casting, and production. We also get the true story of Star Riders, the StarCrash sequel that never was - in more ways than one!

Caroline Munro is on hand to give a lengthy interview about her career and her time as Stella Star! Now this feature has been criticized by some and the points raised are certainly valid. However, I would rather have it than not have it! I appreciate that Shout went through the trouble of getting Caroline involved. The final product may not be as technically polished as the others on the disc, but I’m glad it’s here.

The star of the release though is Stephen Romano. His two audio commentaries will tell you everything you need to know about the film (including who dubbed Caroline’s voice!). There is no overlap between the two and it feels like one is listening to a film school professor preparing you for a final exam! I honestly feel that once you understand the background of why StarCrash came to be, and the actual production of the film, you will walk away with a better appreciation of it.

Now add to this, deleted scenes, trailers with commentary by Joe Dante and Eli Roth, a fun feature on special effects by Armando Valcauda, rare photos, and a music feature. Shout has totally spoiled us! I am eternally grateful for everyone involved in making this such a special release. My love of StarCrash is now never ended. I am officially a Crasher for life!
Old 11-22-10, 09:57 AM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 914 Likes on 774 Posts

i think this was discussed, but are there no plans for The Slumber Party Massacre Collection to hit Blu-ray?
Old 11-22-10, 09:58 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by scott1598
i think this was discussed, but are there no plans for The Slumber Party Massacre Collection to hit Blu-ray?
No, no more Blu-rays are planned for now with the exception of Battle Beyond the Stars, which will be released in July.
Old 11-22-10, 10:04 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Received 1,883 Likes on 1,239 Posts

The transfers weren't even done in HD (unlike the usual DVD workflow), so there's no way we'll get a Blu-ray release without them basically starting all over.
Old 11-22-10, 10:24 AM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 914 Likes on 774 Posts

thanks Adam.
Old 11-22-10, 04:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 361 Likes on 304 Posts

From Cliff Mac @ Shout Factory

http://forum.dvdtalk.com/10301116-post239.html
Old 02-23-11, 05:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

This was posted on AV Maniacs:
Daniel Griffith shot and edited an hour-long documentary about stunt coordinator Paul Nuckles for the RACE WITH THE DEVIL disc, but now that's been postponed for a Blu-Ray release as well.
Old 02-23-11, 05:37 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

^ that'd be awesome!
Old 02-23-11, 05:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Agreed. I had Shout! written off for Blu-rays other than Battle Beyond the Stars, but perhaps this is a sign that they're still active.
Old 02-23-11, 06:45 PM
Banned

The only Corman movie I'm even remotely interested in is the superior Fantastic Four movie from 1994. It's not Oscar material, but it's a hell of a lot better than the movie that DID come out. But there isn't a chance that it will come out on dvd.
Old 02-23-11, 08:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Bah:
Originally Posted by Cliff from Shout! Factory
Not really true. It didn't make it on the disc because we ran out of time. We have deadlines we need to hit to ensure the product gets replicated and shipped. Our sales department doesn't like to move street dates. I hope we are able to do a Blu-Ray in the future so that the doc can be seen.
Old 02-25-11, 08:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

For anyone who wants more Corman on Blu-ray:

Originally Posted by Cliff
I want to do more but our sales and marketing department dont.... So I urge you all to write to [email protected] and tell them you want to see more Blu-Ray releases. They've stopped listening to my begging.
Old 04-12-11, 07:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by AV Maniacs
I actually wrote to Shout a few weeks ago asking them nicely not to give up on their Blu-Ray releases. I got a reply today not only confirming a BD release of Damnation Alley, but also Women in Cages as well!
Old 04-12-11, 09:27 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

yesssssssssssssssssssssss!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 04-13-11, 08:32 AM
DVD Talk Legend

7/12:

Old 04-13-11, 09:29 AM

Battle Beyond the Stars is a day one buy for me. I remember watching this at the drive-in when I was a little little kid....holy crap. 30 years?
Old 04-13-11, 12:41 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Damnation Alley????? FINALLY!!!!!!
Old 04-13-11, 08:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 82 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by NoirFan
7/12:

YES!

I really hope it carries all the DVD features over.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.