Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Toshiba denies problems with ID4?!

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Toshiba denies problems with ID4?!

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-00, 06:36 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Get a load of this...

I am one of the many people having problems with some features of the ID4 disk. My player is the 3109 and the firmware is 1.8.

So, I call Toshiba to see about getting the machine fixed and they said that they were *puzzled* to hear my complaint, as no one else has reported a problem with this disk! Can you believe that?!! With all of the posts here of horrendous experiences with this disk, Toshiba is trying to act like the problem was with me!

Then, as the kicker, they told me that they would have a service tech watch the movie and that I should call back later so that they can tell me what he found. Unbelievable!

No apologies, no understanding, no helpful hints, just a stonewall of denial!

Any else run up against this when they called with firmware problems?
Old 07-20-00, 01:53 AM
Cool New Member

I have the Toshiba 3108 and ID4 is the 3rd DVD I cannot read. It also will not read my home movie Video CD's on CD-R or CD-RW. As I am out of warranty, I cannot get the free firmware upgrade. I finally gave up, bit the bullet, and bought a new Pioneer DV-333 last week. It is a great machine. Plays all my DVD's, even the trouble ones, and it plays my home Video CD's on CD-R and CD-RW. I hated to spend the money, but I like my new player very much. Maybe I can make a boat anchor out of my Toshiba. Hmm.
Old 07-20-00, 04:49 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Sorry to hear about your experience, ghachey.

I'm still firmly in the warranty period on my machine, though. So, I'll fight Toshiba on this all the way, if that's the way the want to play it.
Old 07-20-00, 07:07 AM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

I have the 2190 w/1.8 firmware...and it worked like a charm...wierd, and sorry for your experiences.

------------------
[email protected]
Old 07-20-00, 12:28 PM
Cool New Member

I have a SD-3109 w/1.8 firmware and had no problems with either of the ID4 discs. It is with these two disc sets that the 3109 is really nice. CrumpsBrother, what exactly is or isn't happening with yours?
Old 07-20-00, 02:22 PM
prg

i also have the 3109 i bought june'99 and the disks play perfectly
Old 07-20-00, 03:32 PM

quote:<HR>Originally posted by ghachey:
I have the Toshiba 3108 and ID4 is the 3rd DVD I cannot read. It also will not read my home movie Video CD's on CD-R or CD-RW. As I am out of warranty, I cannot get the free firmware upgrade. I finally gave up, bit the bullet, and bought a new Pioneer DV-333 last week. It is a great machine. Plays all my DVD's, even the trouble ones, and it plays my home Video CD's on CD-R and CD-RW. I hated to spend the money, but I like my new player very much. Maybe I can make a boat anchor out of my Toshiba. Hmm.<HR>

Is the 3108 supposed to be able to read vcd's? I have the 2108 and I know that function was never built into it. It only reads DVDs and CDs.

------------------
You get what everyone gets. You get a lifetime.
My DVD's
Old 07-20-00, 04:28 PM
Cool New Member

Yes. The VCD feature is listed in the manual for the 3108, and whenever the mauual lists items specific to DVD, VCD, or CD, they have a special DVD, VCD, and CD logo. I was able to play one of my home Video CD's on a CD-RW, but it played badly.
Old 07-20-00, 05:29 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Well, I'm having two problems with my player in regard to ID4. (And by the way thanks for all of the concern!)

First, during the special edition version, the picture freezes at one of the chapter stops (same place every time) and I have to fast-forward to get beyond that. At first I assumed a dirty disk, but I inspected it and it looks mint. Plus, I've heard others complain about similar problems.

Also, and more annoyingly, I cannot get the hidden "easter egg" to play no how, no way! I've tried every suggestion that I've read on these boards, but none of them work on my player.

Have any of you had luck accessing the E-egg?
Old 07-20-00, 07:22 PM

OK, I have a 3108 with firmware version 1.0
It will not even load my ID4.
I heard thru this forum that it is the firmware and am taking it to be upgraded ( at my expense $60 ) tommorrow.
Does this sound OK???
Old 07-21-00, 03:20 AM
Cool New Member

quote:<HR>Originally posted by ghachey:
Yes. The VCD feature is listed in the manual for the 3108, and whenever the mauual lists items specific to DVD, VCD, or CD, they have a special DVD, VCD, and CD logo. I was able to play one of my home Video CD's on a CD-RW, but it played badly.<HR>

ghachey, take another look at your manual and I think you'll see that it says it does not read CDR or CDRW. So if you're getting anything at all with CDR or CDRW you're lucky.

BigAl

Old 07-22-00, 12:39 AM
VSL

I have the Toshiba 4109 and I am getting to the point that I am sorry that I ever got into this DVD thing. I have about 180 DVD's and about 10% of them it is flip a coin if they will load and once loaded will they make it to the end of the movie before locking up.

ID4 locks up at the exact same scene each time. I tried cleaning thd disk and finally resurfaced it with DVD Doctor. No luck it still locks on the chapter 33 to 34 switch, when airforse one is shown in flight.

I have checked the firmware version and it is 2.40 and I have tried to find out if there is a newer version to no avail. Maybe someone here knows.
Old 07-22-00, 06:10 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I've seen other posts on this board where people refer to their firmware as being 3.x.

You'll never get an official answer out of Toshiba, though, as to the latest firmware. I made the mistake of mentioning my firmware version to the Toshiba CSR and got the third degree for my trouble: "How do you know what version you have? What do you know about firmware? Who told you where to get that type of information?" Etc.
Old 07-22-00, 12:32 PM

I recently sent back a Toshiba SD-2200 because of loading problems and shimmering problems.It is inexcuseable for a DVD player to constantly have those problems.Firmware or not,they should play no matter what firmware you have.In my book,Toshiba $UCKS.