Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Buying a DVD player for the first time; suggestions please?

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Buying a DVD player for the first time; suggestions please?

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-00, 04:52 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi,

We are buying our first DVD player for home; until now, I've had to hook up our laptop to the TV; pain in the butt, and quality was pretty lousy.

I am considering buying the Apex even though it has no loophole menu, because it offers mp3 playback. That's pretty much the selling point for me, as other than the Raite player, no other machines offer MP3 playback.

However, I know about the problem with Seamless branching and inability to play regular titles like Stuart Little. Do you know if the new Apex's (without menu) have this fixed? I got the impression from other posts that they do. If this is the case, would you recommend this player?

My budget is around $200-250. We aren't looking for anything high end, (no dts or anything) just the ability to play CDR's and play VCDs. I've heard good things about the Pioneer 333; how much would it cost at Best buy /Circuit City? I'm not really thinking about ordering online.

I appreciate your help!

[This message has been edited by UKingdom (edited July 20, 2000).]
Old 07-21-00, 03:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
If you check past threads you'll probably find as much pro as con for any brand you choose. The most popular tend to be the Toshiba and Sony. I haven't heard much about the Apex but it did have a writeup in this months Home Theater mag. If you want to save money, www.mobshop.com usually has great deals and they do deliver. I got a Toshiba SD1200 for $170 shipped from there and it showed up ina couple days.

------------------
Widescreen Presentation
Jim's DVD Tracker list
Old 07-21-00, 08:56 PM

As you have mentioned, I have also heard very good things about the Pioneer 333. Check around for prices on it...you shouldn't pay more than $250...good luck!
Old 07-21-00, 10:06 PM

I tried all four (Apex 600a, Toshiba 1200, Sony 360, and Pioneer 333)

The Apex's mp3 capabilities aren't worth the problems with seamless branching. The new firmware may have fixed it, but quality was an issue.

The Toshiba couldn't play Abyss.. back to the store it went.

The Sony was great, except that it wouldn't play scratched disks that the Toshiba and Apex were able to. Since I rent often, I couldnt' keep that either.

I ended up settling on the Pioneer. Other than the fact that the unit itself is ugly, its played everything flawlessly, and changes layers better than the rest.

Get the Pioneer!
Old 07-22-00, 03:24 AM
Banned

Thanks for the advice guys, the Pioneer is looking really good right now.

Do you know the cheapest place to get it? I can get it from Crutchfield for about 240 shipped, and I doubt the B&M's will cost that low after tax and all.

Any more advice?
Old 07-22-00, 06:06 PM

UKingdom,

You've Got Mail and check out Now! Audio/Video on Martin Luther King Blvd across from Fuddruckers. they will price match local vendors.

Basset