Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

DVD newbie. I need help with basic installation.

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

DVD newbie. I need help with basic installation.

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-00, 02:26 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I know very little about electronics. I do know the advantage of DVD's and want to buy a DVD player very soon. Problem is, I recently bought a stereo TV without A/V output jacks (I know, I know). I don't want to buy another TV right now and have been told by more than one salesperson that ther is no way that I can install a DVD player on a TV without A/V output (I don't believe this.) I'm thinking there has to be a way around this situation. Is there an adapter that I could use? (This I doubt.) Can I route the DVD through the A/V jacks on a VCR? (I'm thinking that I can.) If this is the case can the entire setup be explained in a manner in which I can understand?

My husband had a DVD player in a basket to purchase for me, but when the salesperson told him it could not be done, he put it back....help!

Old 07-18-00, 02:47 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I'm assuming you mean the standard A/V INPUTS on your set... Anyone know if there's an adapter on the market that Iggystar can buy? Radio Shack maybe? As for the VCR... Most likely, absolutely not. Macrovision copy protection will produce color distortions and other neat effects if you try to view through most VCR's. However, some members here have reported that it can be done on certain models...

Welcome to the forum...
Old 07-18-00, 03:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

What is the return policy from the place where you purchased your TV??? I would exchange it unless it is past the time allowable by the store.....For future reference, buy a TV with at least an S video jack. The audio is not much of an issue if you have a receiver and speakers. I do not even have my audio hooked into my TV...only video. Good Luck!!!

Maybe you can sell the TV for around what you paid for it..maybe discount it somewhat and purchase another TV!!!
Old 07-18-00, 04:17 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

You can definitely do what you're trying to do.
I know because (unfortunately) my TV doesn't have A/V inputs, either.

You cannot route the DVD video signal through the VCR because it will trigger the DVD's copy protection (called macrovision)

What you need is called an RF modulator. You can buy them at RadioShack, Wal-Mart, Target, etc. in the electronics section. They're also useful for hooking up game systems to older TV's.

The RF modulator is a little box that has two switches and 3 cable connections on it. One switch switches switch from the VCR signal to the DVD signal, and the other is for the default channel on your TV (usually 3, like with your VCR.)
On the back of the RF modulator box, there are 3 connections: DVD video in, VCR video in (coaxial cable), and out (coaxial cable).
Plug the DVD video cable into DVD in, the cable out of the VCR into VCR in, and a new cable from the box to the TV into video out.

The modulator will cost about $30.

Hope that helps.
If you have another question, feel free to email me.

Added: FYI, although this is not the optimal video connection, you don't lose THAT much video quality. (It's still MUCH better than a VCR)

Corrected some jargon...

------------------
Hey there, Homer. I made this chili with something extra, just for you.
I put in the merciless peppers of Quetzalsacatenango. Grown deep in the
jungle primeval by the inmates of a Guatemalan insane asylum.
Care for a taste?

-Chief Wiggum (of the Simpsons)

DVDs..... Is there anything they can't do?

[This message has been edited by edclem (edited July 18, 2000).]
Old 07-18-00, 05:14 PM

i got this :
http://www.radioshack.com/ProductCat...501244,00.html

it works great, and saved me the cost of buying a new tv! i have also seen a Recoton brand of this at Target, but it was the same price and looked cheaper. if you have a radioshack around you, go there.

Old 07-18-00, 05:24 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Have to agree with previous two posts. A simple RF Modulator will serve to cure your problems, though I do notice a degregation of quality over better video inputs. Still, a 29.99 solution is better then spending a $1000 on a new Tv...

Personally, I am using the radio shack RF Modulator with my N64 system (so I could run a simple coax cable across a rather large room allowing me to place the game unit a fair distance form the tv... I know, I'm lazy, I just don't want to get up). It works fine and provides aceptable resolution.

Good luck.

Wayne
Old 07-18-00, 07:32 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I love you guys. And I'm really mad that the salesperson didn't have enough knowledge to give me this information (but not surprised). I could have had my DVD player months ago, when it was in my shopping basket!!
Old 07-18-00, 07:33 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

wlmowery:

Fellow Penn Stater?
Old 07-18-00, 07:33 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

quote:<HR>Originally posted by iggystar:
I love you guys. And I'm really mad that the salesperson didn't have enough knowledge to give me this information (but not surprised). I could have had my DVD player months ago, when it was in my shopping basket!!<HR>

Glad we could help!
Welcome to the forum!
Old 07-18-00, 07:41 PM

quote:<HR>Originally posted by edclem:
wlmowery:

Fellow Penn Stater?
<HR>

edclem,

Penn State - BS Mathematics '86, BS Accounting '87, Varsity Ice Hockey

Claim to fame...enrolled for Paterno's two national championships!!!

Sure do miss State College.

Basset