Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

Dish Network – anybody here have a 3 or 4 room setup?

Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-09, 12:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have Dish Network and am happy with the service. I currently have a Dish DVR 625 (a duo-receiver) and spend about $6 per month for the DVR plus programming charges.

What are the possible three or four room setups, and how much are the fees before programming charges? I would want each room to be capable of watching different programs (thus no splitting of signals), and each room to be able to have DVR capability (pausing programs, watching recorded shows, etc).

I'll be moving in the near future and plan on just cancelling my current subscription and signing on under my wife's name at the new residence to get all new receivers / controllers.
Old 10-06-09, 01:01 PM

Received 99 Likes on 82 Posts
Re: Dish Network – anybody here have a 3 or 4 room setup?

Do you want HD in all of your rooms? If so, you will need a discreet HD receiver for each. If not, the duo-tuner receivers (ie, 722) are capabable of an HD signal on TV1 and a SD signal on TV2. Get two duo-tuner receivers and you can support 4 TVs.

I currently have a 2-TV setup, but I wanted HD on both sets. As a result, I have 2 receivers (722 and 211). If you are in no real hurry, the 922 receiver is coming out 'soon' and it has sling capability -- from what I gather, it will allow HD signals on multiple sets via some sort of adapter.
Old 10-06-09, 01:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Say I get two 722 models, what would the monthly fee be?

First receiver = no cost
First Duo DVR = $6
Second receiver = $5
Second Duo DVR = $6

so $17 plus programming costs?

And the 922 can send a HD signal to the second TV, when it comes out?
Old 10-06-09, 02:20 PM

Received 99 Likes on 82 Posts

This sounds about right. To get rid of monthly DVR cost associated w/ the second receiver, you could get a 222 and add an external hard drive for DVR capability. The 222 still supports 2 TVs, you would just one less monthly DVR fee.

I recently added an EHD to my 211 and it was painless -- Dish charges a one-time $40 fee for activation though.

From what I understand of the 922 is that TV2 will get the HD signal via wireless Sling technology. Details are still rather murky since the 922 is still being beta-tested. The release date has been pushed several times. Realistically, I think folks aren't expecting it until Q1 of 2010.