DVD Talk
GROWN UPS('10)w/Sandler,Spade,Rock,Schneider,Hayek,Rudolph & (WTF?) P.T. Anderson! [Archive] - DVD Talk Forum

Best Sellers
The Longest Day
Buy: $54.99 $24.99
DVD Blowouts
Alien [Blu-ray]
Buy: $19.99 $9.99

PDA
DVD Reviews

View Full Version : GROWN UPS('10)w/Sandler,Spade,Rock,Schneider,Hayek,Rudolph & (WTF?) P.T. Anderson!

chris_sc77
06-28-09, 07:08 PM
PLot: "Thirty years after their high school graduation, five good friends reunite for a Fourth of July holiday weekend"

Director: Dennis Dugan (You Don't Mess with the Zohan, I Now Pronounce You Chuck & Larry, The Benchwarmers)

Cast: Adam Sandler, Maya Rudolph, Salma Hayek, Kevin James, Rob Schneider, Maria Bello, David Spade, Chris Rock, P.T. Anderson (?), Gary Busey, Norm MacDonald, Colin Quinn

IMage gallery:
http://www.comingsoon.net/imageGallery/Grown_Ups_Set

I have to say I am mostly interested in the cast. Comingsoon.net list P.T. Anderson as an actor in this one. I hope thats the case cause that could be interesting. Makes sense since he of course directed Sandler in Punch-Drunk Love and is in a relationship with Maya Rudolph.
Other than that I hope this is good. Its a reunion of the best of the best of the SNL-ers (at least the best SNl cast since the late 70's that is.) Oh and the supremely unfunny Kevin James is along for the ride as well.

My Other Self
06-28-09, 07:20 PM
I like the cast, but Dugan is meh. I'll probably end up seeing this for the 90s SNL factor.

AnonomusBob15
06-28-09, 08:02 PM
I thought Paul Thomas Anderson was directing. damn.

I will check this out if it's more than a cameo. Otherwise I will wait for DVD like all Sandler films.

Drexl
06-28-09, 08:08 PM
I thought Paul Thomas Anderson was directing. damn.

I will check this out if it's more than a cameo. Otherwise I will wait for DVD like all Sandler films.

I'd rather he spend the time directing something else. Punch Drunk Love wasn't bad, but I don't think I could take him directing the likes of Rob Schneider and Kevin James. :)

Brent L
06-28-09, 08:35 PM
Oh if only Chris Farley could be a part of this.

SpinalGuffman
06-28-09, 08:48 PM
"Thirty Years after their high school graduation"? So most of the cast are playing almost 50?

Weird. Still, Norm MacDonald = my ticket $.

Disneyboy
06-28-09, 09:37 PM
"Thirty Years after their high school graduation"? So most of the cast are playing almost 50?

Weird. Still, Norm MacDonald = my ticket $.

When I first heard about this movie, I heard it was 20 years after, not 30 years after.

Troy Stiffler
06-28-09, 10:04 PM

I'll get the lantern, shovel and paper bags.

Lets go!

Zen Peckinpah
06-28-09, 11:55 PM

If he was, we wouldn't be seeing Kevin James in the cast. They should work Dana Carvey in there too.

Seriously though, I'll see this for the whole 90's SNL reunion. And this Busey news might turn this into a must-see for me, love the Buse.

LorenzoL
11-14-09, 07:02 AM
The trailer doesn't look that promising...

http://movies.yahoo.com/movie/1810125267/video/16609998

PopcornTreeCt
11-14-09, 05:25 PM
You lost me at Adam Sandler is married to Salma Hayek

Arthur Dent
11-14-09, 05:39 PM
The trailer doesn't look that promising...

http://movies.yahoo.com/movie/1810125267/video/16609998
Wow. Looks worse than I had imagined...somehow.

Drexl
11-14-09, 05:51 PM
You lost me at Adam Sandler is married to Salma Hayek

Well, after him being with Kate Beckinsale in Click, it doesn't seem so outrageous.

islandclaws
11-14-09, 06:02 PM
Rob Schneider must be excited to be in a theatrical film people will probably go see.

Joe Six Pack will eat this up. I think it looks incredibly hackneyed, cliche and laaaaammmmeeee.

NiCK Crush
01-30-10, 05:20 PM
On this "This Is It' Blu-ray, the trailer for this says "Coming Soon to Blu-ray and DVD".

sauce07
01-31-10, 02:19 AM
On this "This Is It' Blu-ray, the trailer for this says "Coming Soon to Blu-ray and DVD".

I 100% guarantee that no matter horrible this film could possibly be, it is going to theaters.

JumpCutz
01-31-10, 02:51 AM
:eek: That was just plain dreadful. Everyone looks bloated, bored & tired. -eek-

Zen Peckinpah
01-31-10, 09:21 AM
I think we should all acknowledge the fact that Kevin James wouldn't be a mile from this shit if Chris Farley was still alive.

Still, as not good as it looks I'll see it just for the fact that it's an at least partial reunion of the 90's SNL cast, plus the presence of Norm Macdonald and the fact that Gary Busey is going to at least have a cameo.

Troy Stiffler
01-31-10, 10:47 AM
Looks alright. Looks tame for a Dugan/Sandler & Co movie. I like it when they are offensive, but sweet about it. I was shocked by how great "Don't Mess With the Zohan" was.

And where is PT Anderson?

NiCK Crush
01-31-10, 02:02 PM
I 100% guarantee that no matter horrible this film could possibly be, it is going to theaters.

I mean, I think so too, but why would they advertise it as coming soon to Blu-ray and DVD?

MrSmearkase
01-31-10, 04:09 PM
I was shocked by how great "Don't Mess With the Zohan" was.

:hscratch:

Dr Mabuse
01-31-10, 04:37 PM
Lactating chicks.

:drool:

auto
01-31-10, 04:46 PM
I mean, I think so too, but why would they advertise it as coming soon to Blu-ray and DVD?

Maybe they thought the MJ film wouldn't be released until later in the year when they cut that deal. :shrug:

The Infidel
05-15-10, 11:51 PM
Just saw a preview/trailer/commercial (whatever you want to call it) for this during SNL. Looks like it might be fun.

Hokeyboy
05-15-10, 11:53 PM
Please saw my legs off.

Supermallet
05-16-10, 12:43 AM
Yeah, the trailer is horrible, with no funny jokes at all.

MartinBlank
05-16-10, 10:13 AM
http://ordable.com/img/lists/the-best-clips-from-south-park/items/2705200974164stapler.jpg

Rob Schneider making out with an old lady...ya see, it's funny cuz she's old!

This needs to hit theaters ASAP. I've been subjected to this crapsandwich trailer the past 4+ times I've paid to see a flick.

I have to laugh at the "change" in the marketing. Early trailers made no mention of Hayek being a "star" in the cast.

Troy Stiffler
05-16-10, 10:41 PM
This movie looks really funny to me. But I'm a fan of that generation of SNL.

Drexl
05-17-10, 12:04 AM
So is P.T. Anderson in this, or what?

vasb
05-17-10, 02:14 PM
I don't think Anderson is in the film. Someone took photos of him visiting his family on set and (apparently) a rumor got out that he had a role. Maybe he does have a cameo, but the above is what I heard happened.

My Other Self
06-26-10, 01:11 AM
Wow, this one is getting just ripped apart by critics.

91 reviews counted and it's at... 08%.

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/grown_ups/

Daytripper
06-26-10, 01:22 AM
2:20 AM EST and not one regular joe review yet!? I keep looking. I just want to see if it's as bad as the critics say. Well, except for Armond White who calls it "Cheerful and surprisingly heartfelt."

Supermallet
06-26-10, 02:11 AM
This movie definitely deserves its 8% rating. There's no plot, no conflict, nothing but a bunch of guys who were once funny making lame jokes and then telling each other how funny they are. I'd call it cinematic masturbation, but that implies some kind of climax, which this film definitely does not offer. I'm usually a Sandler fan, but this is a miss on every possible level.

Rypro 525
06-26-10, 02:39 AM
from the previews i've seen, this doesn't seem like Chris Rock's type of humor at all. Almost like Sandler and the other guys talked him into doing this

Supermallet
06-26-10, 03:16 AM
Rock does absolutely nothing. I don't know why he's there. Just so Sony could put his name on the marquee, I guess. Half the time you forget he's in the film.

My Other Self
06-26-10, 03:26 AM
Rock does absolutely nothing. I don't know why he's there. Just so Sony could put his name on the marquee, I guess. Half the time you forget he's in the film.I like this part of one of the reviews:
Chris Rock, call your agent.

I love all of these guys - but the trailers and commercials have been making me cringe. It just looks ridiculously unfunny. Sad, it really had some potential to be good.

Mr. Cinema
06-26-10, 09:48 AM
Deadline Hollywood is reporting it made about $14.5 million on Friday and could finish with at least $40 million for the weekend. None of the trailers looked funny, but apparently some thought they did.

Patman
06-26-10, 09:53 AM
Part of me thinks this movie was written on-the-fly, get a bunch of funny, comedic, actors in the cast (Adam Sandler, Kevin James, Chris Rock, David Spade and Rob Schneider), and just roll the cameras and let the magic happen. And for the most part, the film delivered. 5 boys from the late 1970s come back together when their youth basketball coach passes away and they all attend the funeral. Much of the humor is of the needling kind where each character is made fun of by the rest of the gang, but underneath it all, there's a lot of heart and affection between the members of this former youth basketball team, and their growing families, who all enjoy a weekend at their favorite youth retreat as they prepare to tend to their deceased coach's ashes.

Overall, most of the humor is funny (there's a lot of the over-40 jokes, the generational jokes, confrontational jokes amongst their youth basketball rivals, wife jokes, kids jokes, etc), and the pacing is good. So I enjoyed most of it, though I think Chris Rock's character sort of got the short-shrift, but his character's family had some funny moment. Was the humor cutting-edge? No, but I think it delivered on its marketed premise.

I give it 2.75 stars, or a grade of B-.

albert_m
06-27-10, 10:16 AM
I like the cast, but wow the commercials are really not funny and I dont' get the sense that it is. I hope I'm wrong, and if so I'll catch it on cable sometime, wow they get that cast and that's all they can do???

Star Wars Guy
06-27-10, 11:35 AM
Saw it last night. Definately better than that piece of crap 'Funny People' (which wasn't funny.)

Supermallet
06-27-10, 01:40 PM
At least Funny People was about something. And I hated Funny People as well, but it was made with much more care than Grown Ups.

anomynous
06-27-10, 02:08 PM
People are still complaining about Funny People not being a comedy?

Pixie Song
06-27-10, 03:04 PM
Last night I was out with an ex-girlfriend and I had a choice of sitting through Grown Ups or Sex in the City II. Grown Ups seemed like the lesser of two evils, so I opted for that. I've never been so bored in a movie theater. There were a couple laughs here and there, but otherwise the movie fell flat. None of the characters stood out to me and the whole thing seemed rather lazy.

I was more amused by the Hamster car commercial that played before the movie and when a little girl sitting behind me blurted out "Stop talking!" to the ladies who were sitting in front of us.

Jam Master Jay
06-27-10, 03:15 PM
I have to agree with all the negative reviews on this one. I laughed when Kevin James busted the pool and Selma Hayek hit that kid in the nuts; So when it comes to comedy I don't really have high standards, but damn this movie was REALLY boring. One review I read said that it was either a rip off of The Great Outdoors or a remake of a shitty mid-90's SNL episode. I think I got tired of the Sandler shtick about a decade ago.

mdc3000
06-27-10, 05:53 PM
Is this movie worse than Zohan? That movie made me contemplate suicide in the theatre, just to make it stop. The trailers for this looked tired but I figured I'd see it on cheap night - however if it is in fact worse than that flick, I may reconsider.

Supermallet
06-27-10, 05:57 PM
I actually enjoyed Zohan, but I like Sandler's more out there ridiculous comedies.

toddly6666
06-27-10, 11:58 PM
Grown Ups should be called 5 ASSHOLES. What a sad, mean-spirited film. This type of comedy is so dated now that the Appatow comedy style has set the standard. Let's watch a bunch of middle-aged assholes insult each other for an hour and half straight, and then call each other best friends? It was a stupid film with a couple laughs from Maya Rudolph and the breast-feeding kid.

Anyone know how much the film cost? Because it looked like it didn't cost anything. It should be all profit.

Salma Hayak Pinault is amazingly hot! Why is she not in more movies? She only was a leading lady in two films - Frida and Bandidas. In all her other movies, she's just a sidekick.

AnonomusBob15
06-28-10, 12:33 AM
I actually enjoyed Zohan, but I like Sandler's more out there ridiculous comedies.

Zohan is the best mainstream Sandler movie in a decade, not saying much though.

Larry C.
06-28-10, 07:46 AM
I saw this on saturday and I liked it. Maybe its because I'm 36 and did everything outside and I have two kids who love being inside on their laptops, ipods and game consoles. Maybe its because I like all Sandler's movies. But I laughed and had a good time. Not his best but not awful.

d2cheer
06-28-10, 09:03 AM
I like it for what it was and enjoyed it more that I thought I would.

In regards to comments made above:
I don't think this type of comedy is dated at all Sandler has taken a lot of crap for his type of films but I have generally found them to be funny (as apparently a lot of people do) with the exceptions of Chuck and Larry and Zohan they were both horrible. Just because you can like a Sandler comedy does not mean you an automatic "Joe Sixpack" either. As far as Appatow setting the standard you are way off there IMHO; I find most of his unwatchable.

nando820
06-28-10, 09:46 AM
People are still complaining about Funny People not being a comedy?

Its called "Funny People" not "Funny movie" duh

Charlie Goose
06-28-10, 11:07 PM
I liked it a lot. The funniest Sandler movie since Happy Gilmore, and by far the best movie ever for Rock, James, Schneider, and Spade.

Although there was really no plot, it was good-natured and funny enough to work well in spite of it. I may be mistaken but I thought there was a fair deal of adlibbing. There are some pee-pee jokes, breast milk jokes, and old lady fart jokes, but it was surprisingly free of vulgar humor, which I appreciated. Lots of slapstick, of course. I laughed out loud many times throughout. Much much better than the steaming pile that passes for comedy today, The Hangover.

Supermallet
06-28-10, 11:45 PM
I liked it a lot. The funniest Sandler movie since Happy Gilmore, and by far the best movie ever for Rock, James, Schneider, and Spade.

Although there was really no plot, it was good-natured and funny enough to work well in spite of it. I may be mistaken but I thought there was a fair deal of adlibbing. There are some pee-pee jokes, breast milk jokes, and old lady fart jokes, but it was surprisingly free of vulgar humor, which I appreciated. Lots of slapstick, of course. I laughed out loud many times throughout. Much much better than the steaming pile that passes for comedy today, The Hangover.

Proof that Sliders was correct. This post could only have come from another dimension. The funniest Sandler movie since Happy Gilmore?!?

Charlie Goose
06-29-10, 08:54 AM
Proof that Sliders was correct. This post could only have come from another dimension. The funniest Sandler movie since Happy Gilmore?!?

Instead of an obsure gag and multiple puncuation, why not explain why you disagree?

Supermallet
06-29-10, 12:58 PM
Well, as I mentioned many times throughout the thread, I thought Grown-Ups was one of Sandler's worst movies. And I think The Wedding Singer is a great romantic comedy, Little Nicky, The Waterboy, and Zohan were surprisingly funny, and Punch Drunk Love is just an out and out great film.

To address the other actors, Paul Blart: Mall Cop is actually quite solid for what it is, Chris Rock has made better movies in his sleep, and Tommy Boy and Black Sheep are miles and miles beyond this (for David Spade).

And for a movie surprisingly free of vulgar humor, you get an old lady with a massive and hideous toe and a continual farting problem, the implication of a guy having sex with a dog, all the granny sex, and more. I feel like we saw completely different movies.

islandclaws
06-29-10, 01:10 PM
At least Funny People was about something. And I hated Funny People as well, but it was made with much more care than Grown Ups.

This makes invalidating your future recommendations much easier, thanks.

sauce07
07-07-10, 12:28 PM
I found it to be okay, nothing special. If you were to show me this cast 10 years ago I would've expected much more but at least it didn't completely suck. Spade stole the show, he needs to be in more movies. I still feel that Kevin James tries too hard to be funny, he needs to try a little less. 2/3 of Rob Schneiders daughters nearly made the movie for me, anytime they were on screen it got both my brains working.

I give it 5/10, that is really good for recent Sandler.

devilshalo
07-07-10, 12:33 PM
There were as many jokes that fell flat as there were that hit. I guess I can see why this made as much as it did, if nothing it provoked a simpleton to share family time with Sandler and crew for a summer vacation.

I couldn't believe the amount of talent in this either cast as supporting actors or cameos. :eek:

Jaime Chung and Madison Riley :drool:

Corey31
07-07-10, 12:37 PM
I'm a fan of dumb comedies, for what it was I sort of liked it. Enough jokes hit that I was rarely bored with the movie. It definitely seems like the Couples Retreat of this group though. Sandler, Rock, James, Spade and Schneider wanted an excuse to hang out together so they made this movie.

I can see why others are not liking it though. It's no where near the quality of other comedies from this year like Hot Tub Time Machine or Get Him To The Greek IMO.

Bob_Bobbson
07-07-10, 02:17 PM
Director Dennis Dugan shows such actorly, egalitarian rapport that Grown Ups surpasses the recent French film The Father of My Children. Grown Ups has a natural, spontaneous sense of how friends of shared sensibility grow apart yet stay instinctively intact. The mocking personalities are never guileful; the insistence on friendship resembles Leigh’s insight and Renoir’s grace but crossed with stand-up comic candor. Sandler’s wardrobe of collegiate T-shirts humorously reveals the missed opportunities Feder never confesses: Grown Ups is nicely subtle about mid-life regret and lifelong promise. Unassuming as it is, Grown Ups' best moments suggest a humanist work of art.

Wow, this movie must be bad. ;)

EdTheRipper
07-12-10, 08:53 PM
I saw this on saturday and I liked it. Maybe its because I'm 36 and did everything outside and I have two kids who love being inside on their laptops, ipods and game consoles. Maybe its because I like all Sandler's movies. But I laughed and had a good time. Not his best but not awful.

Agreed. I'm 32 and I really didn't spend all that much time indoors as a kid. Now, getting my son to go out and do something is a challenge. I really enjoyed this one. It seems like the cast had fun making it and it came across as such on the screen.

DRG
07-14-10, 11:03 AM
Saw this last night and I'd have to say I enjoyed it. I actually liked the fact they simply let the characters' comradery (and family dynamics) run the show instead of trying to shoehorn their antics into some forced high concept storyline to make the movie "about something". If I had any real complaints it would be that Rob Schneider's character (and his family) felt a bit too much like a standard 'wacky' Happy Madison character where the rest of the leads were more subdued and down-to-earth.

Blu Man
07-14-10, 11:13 AM
to make the movie "about something".

I am also a fan of movies without a story.

Joe Buck
07-27-10, 10:59 AM
I am generally not a Sandler/Spade/Schneider fan, but we saw this one a few weeks back and although the story was certainly thin, the movie delivered solid entertainment. The audience were laughing alot throughout. It was dumb, but enjoyable.

DRG
07-27-10, 11:25 AM
I am also a fan of movies without a story.

The "about something" wasn't trying to say it lacked a story, just a forced "high concept" story dynamic that Sandler usually uses to shoehorn his humor into (at least in Happy Madison productions). Like how Zohan is technically about "an Israeli counter terrorist army commando who fakes his own death in order to pursue his dream of becoming a hairstylist in New York City" but it's really just a frame to hang his schtick onto. Basically the sort of thing Sandler himself spoofed in Funny People (http://www.slashfilm.com/2009/06/17/judd-apatows-funny-people-the-films-of-george-simmons/).

Perhaps I should have used the word 'gimmick' instead.

BravesMG
08-01-10, 06:47 PM
I caught this today. I wasn't excited about it, but I needed to take a break out at the movies and I've seen just about everything else out. It came down to Grown Ups or Sorcerer's Apprentice and holy shit did I ever make a poor decision.

I thought Grown Ups was an embarrassment for everybody involved. There was just such an arrogance to the production, it felt like just because these guys were together we should be laughing. There was so much forced "bonding" laughter that it became it's own parody at times. I love Sandler, and despite this looking like crap I gave it a shot since he's usually trustworthy for me, but holy hell was this the bottom of the bottom for me.

Rob V
08-02-10, 09:15 AM
I caught this today. I wasn't excited about it, but I needed to take a break out at the movies and I've seen just about everything else out. It came down to Grown Ups or Sorcerer's Apprentice and holy shit did I ever make a poor decision.

I thought Grown Ups was an embarrassment for everybody involved. There was just such an arrogance to the production, it felt like just because these guys were together we should be laughing. There was so much forced "bonding" laughter that it became it's own parody at times. I love Sandler, and despite this looking like crap I gave it a shot since he's usually trustworthy for me, but holy hell was this the bottom of the bottom for me.

I couldn't agree more. The plot was non-existent and, like you said, they just took a bunch of half-assed comedians, thru them in front of us and said "here you go, now LAUGH DAMMIT!!!". Sandler needs his production studio revoked by the Obama administration because he hasn't done anything worth watching since Happy Gilmore.

A four year old breast feeding?? That's funny?
Kevin James wiping out the pool was funny... unfortunately, it was all over the commercials and it occured in the first 5 minutes.

Ky-Fi
06-29-12, 12:36 PM
I never saw the first one, but they were filming Grown Ups 2 outside my workplace this week. Got to see a cool stunt of a police car come barreling in and doing a sliding, screeching stop---and policeman Shaquille O'Neill slowly stepping out of the car. Holy crap, he's huge in person. I can confirm that there is also a scene of David Spade rolling down the street in a giant tire. Yes, probably not too many oscar nominations coming out of this one. :lol: Sandler and Spade were quite friendly around town, taking a lot of pictures with the locals. Unfortunately, the one cast memeber who was NOT around this week was Selma Hayek.

majorjoe23
06-29-12, 02:46 PM
I can confirm that there is also a scene of David Spade rolling down the street in a giant tire.

I win the pool! Pay up, suckers.