Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Best DVD player on the market for price?

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Best DVD player on the market for price?

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-00, 12:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I want to know the absolute best dvd player to get for under $400, and where i can find it?

I'm interested in region-less if possible(where it will play at least a few different dvd regions), dolby digital output, sound and video quality, etc... reliability, any incompatibility issues... I already know about the APEX (got one). I trust this place to know what it's talking about when it
comes to dvds and players.

The Toshiba 6109c sounds very interesting, and offered on Mobshop for $350. Should i go for that? Are there cheaper places to check on that brand? Any input will be valuable for me!!

Help, anyone?

------------------
"Bullet Holes the Size of Matzah Balls!"
-[i]Chunk, [b]Goonies

[This message has been edited by hellboyx2 (edited May 18, 2000).]
Old 05-19-00, 04:42 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Region free quality players cost too much (I have been looking for one and gave up).

The 6109 is good if you need a receiver too. Otherwise you can get the new 2200 or old 3109 and save some bucks.
www.dealtime.com is a good place to use for price checks.

mercata has a $100 new member sign up bonus. You can apply those dollars toward TWENTY PERCENT of a purchase, so they may have some good deals.

From what I have heard from people around the boards consistently is the most reliable brands with bang for the buck are Toshiba and Pioneer. I have a sony and love it though it cost more and I wanted a player without decoders.

If you want BOTH DTS and DD decoders, a few friends of mine all have the Panasonic A-320 which has performed well for them and was anywhere from 280-325 (went up when the mobshop coupons disappeared and they don't offer that player anymore)
Old 05-20-00, 12:51 AM

I think the Pioneer 525 is pretty damn good. I've seen it at $350cdn, but you guys can probably get it for less on-line.

I have had two Toshiba players and I have had no reliability problems. Probably as much of a bang as the Pioneer. If you can, compare the user-friendliness of their disc navigation system. You might be tempted to save $50 now, but if one player is more intuitive to use for you, it's worth it.
Old 05-23-00, 07:13 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Toshiba SD2200
Old 05-24-00, 05:33 AM
Cool New Member

Panasonic, Toshiba, Pioneer, and Sony all have great entry level players that have a good price/performance ratio. If you need a DD/DTS receiver, the 6109 would be a decent all-in-one unit but I would recommend that you get the receiver and DVD player as seperate components. This will provide much more flexibility for your system. Keeping these as seperate units will make it easier to upgrade without having to require you to go out and buy another player AND receiver.