Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

My Sister's Keeper (June 26th 09)- Cameron Diaz Abigail Breslin, Alec Baldwin

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-09, 08:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 75 Likes on 64 Posts

synopsis:

Spoiler:
This movie is based on the book "My Sister's Keeper" by Jodi Piccoult. This is from the back of the book: "Anna (Abigail Breslin) is not sick, but she might as well be. By age thirteen, she has undergone countless surgeries, transfusions, and shots so that her older sister Kate (Sofia Vassilieva) can somehow fight leukemia that has plagued her since childhood. The product of preimplantation genetic diagnosis (PGD), Anna was conceived as a bone marrow match for Kate-a life role that she has never challenged . . . until now. Like most teenagers, Anna is beginning to question who she truly is. But unlike most teenagers, she has always been defined in terms of her sister-and so Anna makes a decision that for most would be unthinkable, a decision that will tear her family apart and have perhaps fatal consequences for her sister she loves.

Release date: June 26th 2009

Based on Jodi Picoult's best selling novel starring Abigail Breslin, Sofia Vassilieva, Cameron Diaz, Jason Patric, Alec Baldwin, Thomas Dekker, and Joan Cusack

Directed by Nick Cassavettes

Trailer:

<object width="560" height="340"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/17sIyLOm0Xc&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/17sIyLOm0Xc&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="560" height="340"></embed></object>

I read the novel. The trailer makes the movie look cheesy, but it was a powerful book with many tearful moments especially near the end. Hopefully they can translate the story well enough so it doesn't turn into a lifetime movie of the week. The only gripe I have is with the casting of Cameron Diaz. She doesn't seem like the type of actress that can do drama well. Has she been in anything that wasn't a comedy?

Last edited by mhg83; 05-16-09 at 10:35 PM.
Old 05-16-09, 10:20 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: My Sister's Keeper (June 26th 09)- Cameron Diaz Abigail Breslin, Alec Baldwin

I will see this. Not my type of movie but Cassavettes is good and I love Jason Patric in dramatic roles. Apparently Nick Cassavettes has a terminally ill child so it's a sensitive subject.

Cameron Diaz hasn't done anything interesting in decade
Old 05-16-09, 10:28 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 366 Likes on 266 Posts
Re: My Sister's Keeper (June 26th 09)- Cameron Diaz Abigail Breslin, Alec Baldwin

Oooooooo, I dunno.

That's what I have to say about that.
Old 11-21-09, 09:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 290 Likes on 211 Posts

Got it via Netflix today. It's definitely a way above average "TV movie"-like drama. Everyone in the film turn in great performances. There are a few forced emotional scenes. But most are dead on (no pun) and are like a punch in the gut. I have one question for anyone who saw it. And since only three people responded to this thread when the film was in the theater, none of them seeing it, I'm not expecting anyone to respond But....what was up with the son? He was always in Hollywood somewhere on the streets. Was he a male prostitute or something? And if so, why?? They never explained any of that.
Old 08-07-10, 12:09 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 379 Likes on 236 Posts

I don't recall hearing about this movie when it came out. After it was released on DVD, I noticed it at a local Target store and mentally added it to my rental list. Recorded off of cable and finally watched it tonight.

Wow. What a great film and underrated (especially considering a search turned up only this small thread about it). I thought every single performance in this was terrific. I may consider checking out the novel that the film was based on.

In response to your question, Daytripper (hope you haven't been holding your breath since November ), I wondered the same thing at first. Then I begin to think that the son just felt so isolated and disconnected, that he chose to live this way. He was hanging out in an area where he wouldn't be recognized or bothered. Of course when he returns home, his father affirms those isolated feelings by not even noticing that he had come in so late. Just my thought, perhaps the book would reveal something else.