Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Newbie to home theater...Please help me choose best (cheap) speaker option

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Newbie to home theater...Please help me choose best (cheap) speaker option

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-00, 04:26 PM
Modfather

I'm just getting into creating a home theater. I have a sony DVD player and 125+ movies for it, but a crappy home theater. I'm buying a Sony STRDB930 today, but my speaker situation stinks. Some quick background: my tv is near the corner of a living room that's 15 feet wide by 15 feet deep. However, there is no wall at my back (as I sit to watch my TV), it just opens into my kitchen, which is basically about 8 x 8 or so. My problem is: I have two crappy bookshelf speakers (Jensen) and a like center channel. I am definitely on a budget and can't decide which route to go.

Option 1: Buy Jamo Apollo, Energy Take 5, or Acoustic Research HC-2 set with included subwoofer.

Option 2: Keep the 3 speakers I have, using them for rear left & right and center, buy approx. $200 set of front and $200 sub. Later replace the Jensens.

I don't have $2000 for speakers or even $750 right now (my wife would kill me!) so can someone help me out? If I don't impress her with the sound after spending $800-$1000 ($399 for DB930 & $400-$500 on speakers/set, I'll be planning my own funeral!

Feel free to email or post here. Thanks!
[email protected]
Old 03-29-00, 06:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
With regards to the speakers you have mentioned I owuld highly recomend the Take 5's. These are great sound home theatre speakers. Also, although some might disagree, I like the Klipsch quintet satelites for around the same price. These are both solid home-theatre speakers. Remember though, that to get and decent mid or low bass, you will need to get a sub along with it.
Btw, these are essentially home-theatre speakers so they are not quite as good with music.

Good luck and get something you like to listen to. Remember to have fun.

Richard
Old 03-29-00, 11:42 PM

If you have a smaller room and dont really care about having a remote then check this out http://www.hifi.com/consumer/hifi/de...s&leftnavsec=4

for $300 you can get a a dolby digital surround system that sounds great(i have one) and a dvd player(i got this same deal and sold the dvd player for 150, so i got the surround system for 150)
Old 03-29-00, 11:52 PM

Modfather, this is a little off the subject, but where did you get the db930 for $399?

------------------
"...that chewing gum you like is going to come back in style"
Old 03-30-00, 12:51 AM

I was in the same boat when I started down this long twisted road of home theater. I bought the receiver and DVD player first, now I had some good JBL towers from my stereo system I was replacing. I went to ebay and was able to get some nice used JBL center and surround speakers at a low price from a guy upgrading his system. So I would give ebay a look you might be able to get some pretty good deals and not break the bank.
Greg
Old 03-30-00, 02:13 AM
Cool New Member

I would immediately run to your nearest Circuit City, to try to snag some closeout Polk RT's. These highly acclaimed speakers that have been out for several years, and are due to be replaced by the very similar, but restyled Polk RTi series.

The setup I have, and wholeheartedly suggest is RT800's for the front, CS400 center, and f/x500's or RT f/x's for rear. This setup would have costed over $1400 before January, but can now be had for about $750.

CC's Velodyne CT120 is a pretty good cheap ($529) sub too. Good luck.
Old 03-30-00, 02:26 PM
Premium Member

Yes, right now the Polk and the infinity lines arboth being closed out. There are meny deals to be found on them at B&M and online.
Old 03-30-00, 03:13 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

the velodyne ct-120 is a GREAT sub for the money and so is the Klipsch KSW12. A good sub is important for good HT.

Energy's and Klipsch are good for surround ...A quintet setup w/center (though I am not a huge fan of their center) can be had for under $350 total at vanns.com last I checked (buyers club price).

Old 03-30-00, 05:13 PM
Modfather

to all: thanks for the feedback. I wish I could say I'm less confused, but I'm more!
My biggest problem is I wonder if the little minis (satellite) speakers are powerful enough for a room that's odd shaped and rather large like mine. Also, some of these (Energy Take 5's) come with smaller subs. I was told I should be looking for at least a 10-12" sub. Does it matter if it's down-firing or not?

Can someone verify that Costco has a 15" sub (KLH?) for $179? If that's the case, maybe I should get that + the Infinity HTPS10 package at http://shop.theglobe.com for $299 (only 8" sub, though). Or buy some bookshelves (Infinity's RS3 - $200 pair at same web site) and the $179 sub at Costco...

Very confused...
But thanks for all the help, so far!
Old 03-30-00, 06:31 PM

d-rell you can get the Sony STRDB930 for about $380 at soundcity 1800 432-0007. I got one two months ago and could not be happier with it.
Old 03-30-00, 07:27 PM

If the speakers in option 1 are within your price range (with sub), pick the one you think sounds best. (I think www.soundandvisionmag.com did a review on some of these.)

Assuming you want a system primarily for movies, I would spend all available money on the best sub you can get right now. It's amazing how much of a huge difference can be made by bass. As a temporary solution you and your wife should be happier.

I would audition subs at local audio shops and check out reviews at www.audioreview.com for ideas. A good sub will set you back at least $300, a little more money can buy a lot more performance.

After you have the sub, you can put off buying front speakers till you can afford a high quality trio, if you want to pursue higher fidelity.
Old 03-30-00, 11:26 PM
Modfather

Thanks again to all the opinions. I decided to go for the Infinity RS3's from www.mercata.com. Only $177 for the pair, great deal, huh? I'm getting a pair of them for my fronts, use my cheapies for the rears and use my cheapy center. Does anyone know if they come with mounting brackets? If not, can I buy just any kind? I'll probably get the sub from Costco and upgrade the other speakers later. I was just concerned about the size of the room with the satellites.

Can someone recommend the proper wire and speaker configuration? My rears are bookshelf sized and I was thinking about mounting them to my ceiling, pointing down (they would be about 8-10 feet from the back of my head). The problem with putting them on stands behind me is that's a traffic area. Will I get good sound with them above my head like that? The fronts will probably be mounted on the wall at about 5 feet high. My living room has a "hole" in the wall where my TV goes, so I don't have an entertainment center...

Suggestions? You guys are the best. I can't believe I haven't been flamed once for my ignorance! (hopefully I didn't just open a can of worms! )