Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

My onkyo NIGHTMARE

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-09, 10:10 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts
My onkyo NIGHTMARE

Have any of you seen or heard about model screwing up the picture or having issues with display via hdmi. I am getting something like this, bad pic but you'll get the idea.

I get that a LOT now. The red is small as pixel all throughout pic, whites are pinkish. Words can blur and mix wavey in the picture as well. Damn mess.

I have so far eliminated everything it has to be the receiver. I tried 4 different cords, two different displays, 3 different sources, both hdmi outputs. Yet I STILL get this screwed up picture.

Some mentioned heat, it does it at 29c there is no way that is considered hot. So I'm wondering if anyone else has seen this before on any recent models. I bought a refurb straight from onkyo. I guess that's not going so well at this point.

Video clips of what it is doing to the video
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yimcSrsCMdM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aF4xor60bAw

Onkyo sent me a "exchange" 4 days ago but it's doing the same thing. Although I can't confirm they even sent me back a different unit. I didn't write down the serial number on the first however it wouldn't have mattered its a refurb I bought direct from onkyo, they just put sticker on back with a serial anyway they could easily taken one off put on different one and sent me back the same exact unit. I went two weeks without any audio from anything because I had no receiver. Do any of you have any kind of input on WTF this could be.

Last edited by hdtv00; 01-25-09 at 10:13 PM.
Old 01-25-09, 11:09 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Re: My onkyo NIGHTMARE

I'm confused, are you only having issues with a computer input via HDMI or with any sources?
Old 01-25-09, 11:27 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Also, are you using an HDMI switcher and what kind of monitor do you have?
Old 01-25-09, 11:50 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

It only does it when I run hdmi video through the receiver. It does it on ANY source, mine are pc, dvd player and a ps3.

No switcher just onkyo 876.

Dell 24 inch and mits hd1000 projector. It does it on any source(pc,ps3,dvd player) that I run through the onkyo 876, it does it on any display(dell 24 inch, mits hd1000 projector). I've changed cords so many times its retarded. I've bought 2 new ones , they do it as well.

IF I go straight from source and bypass the receiver it does not do this, it ONLY happens when I run the hdmi from all 3 sources through the receiver.
Old 01-26-09, 12:03 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Is your receiver set to support xvYCC and is that something that you can turn on and off? It sounds like a compatibility issue with your monitors.

If that's not a specific option, try setting your monitor output to Through rather than Auto (or some other upconverting setting), if it isn't already.

Last edited by FinkPish; 01-26-09 at 12:25 AM.
Old 01-26-09, 02:30 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

It worked fine for 4 days then started doing it, this is the 2nd time it's done it. Although at this point I believe onkyo sent back the SAME unit instead of exchanging it like they were supposed to do.

I've tried every setting, it was set to through I don't need receiver doing anything to the video cept passing it through. But sure I've tried every setting as far as receiver goes.
Old 01-26-09, 07:41 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Not sure, but a few more pictures of the chick might help.
Old 01-26-09, 09:01 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You running Paradigm Studio series speakers and you bought a refurb Onkyo? Dayum.
Old 01-26-09, 11:19 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

First thing I would check and see if your connections arent loose in anyways... Ive had similar issues with my Onkyo, not quite the same but the "redness" was there. I took everything out and reconnected to make sure everything was nice and secure and no problems since.
Old 01-26-09, 12:13 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Yes I'm sure cables are secure. I've even bought two other hdmi cables and connected and tried them as well to eliminate a cable issue.

Far as refurb Onkyo well I figured they make them , they'll know what they're doing. Guess so much for that theory. Again I'm not even sure they sent me a replacement and not just the same exact one back. There really is no way to tell.

So you had a similarish issue. Was it red pixels or shifting red image, describe I'm a little more detail what your's was like. I need all the info I can get at this point. To be sure it's not my issue somehow, although at this point I don't see how it could be me. It has to be the receiver.

Last edited by hdtv00; 01-26-09 at 12:20 PM.
Old 01-26-09, 12:35 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by hdtv00
Again I'm not even sure they sent me a replacement and not just the same exact one back. There really is no way to tell.
Serial number?
Old 01-26-09, 12:39 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

On a refurb its just a simple white sticker with a number on it. That could be taken off in seconds and replaced with some other sticker in a second flat. It's not like a new unit with it basically embedded onto the unit.

Altering or messing with the sticker could maybe void the warrenty I assume.