Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

NEED HELP! My Onkyo 606 is STILL shorting out!

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-09, 07:25 PM
Cool New Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey Guys. I got a new Onkyo 606 as an X-mas gift. I hooked it up on the 27th, but the receiver kept shorting out. I thought it might be because wire was exposed in the back of the receiver. I took care of that and the receiver appeared to be operating properly (I left it on for a couple of hours and it didn't shut off).

I then went away on vacation for a week and a half. When I got back yesterday, it started shorting out again. It only shuts off on specific sounds. For example, I was just watching Jumper on HBO. Everytime Hayden Christensen telports, my receiver shuts off.

I thought perhaps the bass on my subwoofer was overpowering the receiver. However, I shut off the receiver and rewound to the same part of Jumper where he teleports and got the same result. I'm very distraught because I bought the receiver through a third party seller (Vanns) on Amazon and the seller only gave me until the end of December to return the receiver.

Do you guys think that I have a defective receiver or is there anything else I can do??? (I don't see any remaining exposed wire, although I supposed it's possible there is a strand hanging out. However, I had an old Denon 1802 for six years and was never careful about stray wire, but NEVER had this problem.) Any help anyone can give me would be greatly appreciated!!!
Old 01-06-09, 09:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: NEED HELP! My Onkyo 606 is STILL shorting out!

Check the entire run of all your wires to make sure there isn't a break in the insulation somewhere or a stray wire on the speaker end.
Old 01-06-09, 09:55 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 414 Likes on 359 Posts

Is Vanns is an authorized seller? If so it should be covered under the Onkyo warranty.
Old 01-06-09, 10:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Jersey314
I was just watching Jumper on HBO. Everytime Hayden Christensen telports, my receiver shuts off.

Maybe its trying to protect you from that movie.

No problems like this with my 606. I ordered it directly from Amazon though. Not woth the risk of getting something like this from a 3rd party seller.
Old 01-07-09, 07:02 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Several possibilities:

1) Speaker wires are touching. This could be on the back of the receiver and/or the speakers. Check them all.

2) Check the rest of your connections just to be sure they are tight.

3) Try another disc at the same volume.

4) When you say a specific sound that tells me that either you are driving the amp too hard and clipping it or there is a cold solder joint that is failing or failed and the vibration is too much for it.

Can you retest with the Denon in its place?
Old 01-07-09, 08:02 PM
Cool New Member

I had the exact same wires hooked up to the Denon, I basically just pulled them out of the Denon and into the Onkyo so it seems very strange that I would have a problem with the wires.

I doubt I'm driving the amp too hard. I don't have the volume set very high. If it can't handle the volume at that level, then it's not worth owning. I wonder if it's defective.
Old 01-07-09, 08:24 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Ugh...second thread about the 606 not working within the last week, and I just ordered mine directly from Vanns yesterday.
Old 01-07-09, 09:59 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I doubt I'm driving the amp too hard. I don't have the volume set very high. If it can't handle the volume at that level, then it's not worth owning. I wonder if it's defective.
Assuming you can plug in wires properly, defective sounds about right.

Originally Posted by abrg923
Ugh...second thread about the 606 not working within the last week, and I just ordered mine directly from Vanns yesterday.
To be fair, it is the same unit for both threads.
Old 01-08-09, 06:46 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Well that may be.

You don't list the speakers you are driving or the room size you are trying to fill.

Try to replicate the problem with other discs or the THX splash at the beginning of alot of discs. Try different volume levels.
Old 01-08-09, 07:32 AM
DVD Talk Legend

When I had this problem, I kept thinking it was the receiver but it was, in fact, the wires not being connected (loose frays) properly. I ended up getting new speakers (Ascend Sierras) and use RCAs and the problem has never returned. If you can try a rca or banana plug connection, they may work. I still would bet it has to do with the wiring.
Old 01-08-09, 10:04 PM
Cool New Member

dick grayson, how do you use a banana plug? Is it pretty self explanatory? Also, where is a good place to buy them? I found these on monoprice: http://www.monoprice.com/products/pr...seq=1&format=2
are these a good choice?
Old 01-08-09, 11:53 PM

Do you ave an OHM meter or multimeter to check the impedance of your speakers? They should all read around 8 ohms. You can pick up a decent multimeter from Sears or Radio Shack and set it to OHMS. Place one probe on the + speaker wire and one probe on the - speaker wire. You could have a bad coil on one of your speakers causing the amplifier to go into protection if it senses a dead short.

Also, did you run the optimization microphone? This will measure your room dynamics and add or subtract +db or -db from the reciever's output. This could have an effect on a certain speaker output that may be overdriven.
Old 01-09-09, 08:12 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

dick grayson, how do you use a banana plug? Is it pretty self explanatory? Also, where is a good place to buy them? I found these on monoprice: http://www.monoprice.com/products/pr...seq=1&format=2
are these a good choice?
Attached the wires to the plug and plug 'em into the receiver. Those monoprice plugs look fine. There are various types, it looks like those are some form of screw-in to attach the wire. Some require soldering, you may want to avoid those unless you know how to solder.
Old 01-09-09, 08:25 AM
DVD Talk Legend

are these a good choice?
yeah, as Spiky says, those should be fine. they come in two pieces and you thread the wire through the one part and then screw the tip on. at least you don't have any frayed wires that are hanging out.

also look into the ohm thing above, if this doesn't work.
Old 01-09-09, 03:33 PM
Suspended

Most shorting happens because of speaker wire not hooked up correctly vs. defective equipment. I'd disconnect and reconnect everything, checking the polarity.