Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

What cable when hooking up BD Live

Community
Search
HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-08, 07:47 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My panasonic BD player just arrived and I was thinking of running a cable to it for the time being to utilize the BD Live feature until I find a sweet deal on wireless adapter for it. Would I need to purchase a Cat 6 cable for that? If so, is a 50 or so ft run ok?
Also, would I plug the cable into one of the ports on the back of my belkin router?
Old 12-19-08, 08:24 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts
Just run a network cable from your router to the player's RJ45 jack. 50' should be fine.
Old 12-19-08, 09:29 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

A Cat5e or Cat6 network cable will do. I went with Cat6 for my network cables in my setup because they're just as inexpensive as Cat5e if you look around hard enough anyway.
Old 12-19-08, 10:41 AM

Thanks for the info! Are there any settings I will need to adjust on the router or player, or is it just a true simple plug and play?

I also have a HDDVD Player I was considering hooking up too. Is there a splitter I can put near the players?

I was thinking Monoprice for the cable since I order most of my cables from them. They are $11.86 with shipping for 50ft Cat 6. Is that about as good a price for quality cable?
Old 12-19-08, 01:11 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts
Just go in to the player's menu and see if there's anything to change.

Those Monoprice cables will be great for you. As for a splitter, yes you can use a network hub without any issues. but it's another piece of hardware, so you may just want a WAP that has a hub built in and just put that next to the players.