Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

I got one free year of Showtime from Directv for being loyal!

Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-08, 08:47 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts

I've had Directv for five years now. I went over to them from Comcast and I haven't looked back since.

It's not the kind of anniversary you'd normally remember, but to my surprise they sent me a card yesterday announcing that I get 1 free year of Showtime. Not too shabby!

Who says that customer service is dead?
Old 10-28-08, 09:14 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
DAMMIT! I wish I'd known about that when Weeds was on - or before Californication started again. I've been with them almost 10 years!
Old 10-28-08, 09:20 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 71 Likes on 62 Posts
I got such a card, but I'm pretty sure it was only for 3 months (need to double check).
I've been with them 5 years too, and have had my share of headaches with my HD-DVR (HR20).

Still, it's a great gesture on their part and may help counter some of the bad stuff.
Old 10-28-08, 09:22 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Whenever a show is starting up on Showtime I want to see, I call up DTV and ask if they have any specials for loyal customers like me. They usually put me on hold for a minute, then they come back and give me 3 months free of Showtime. It usually gets me through the season, but I have to call and do it again when the 3 months are up. Last time, they threw in Starz as well

That is cool you got it for the whole year!
Old 10-28-08, 09:32 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 617 Likes on 496 Posts
Originally Posted by Jadzia
Whenever a show is starting up on Showtime I want to see, I call up DTV and ask if they have any specials for loyal customers like me. They usually put me on hold for a minute, then they come back and give me 3 months free of Showtime. It usually gets me through the season, but I have to call and do it again when the 3 months are up. Last time, they threw in Starz as well

That is cool you got it for the whole year!

That's what I did for HBO for Entourage in late August. They gave me 3 months of free MAX. Then I'll cancel and do it again whenever Big Love starts back up.
Old 10-28-08, 09:47 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Red Dog
That's what I did for HBO for Entourage in late August. They gave me 3 months of free MAX. Then I'll cancel and do it again whenever Big Love starts back up.
I always end up having to pay for HBO. It seems like they never offer that one up to me as a freebie. I figured because HBO is a little more expensive for some reason (not sure why, since they really don't have as many good shows anymore.) I just added it back this fall for Bill Maher, Entourage, and True Blood (which I am really enjoying).

Glad I got the free Showtime, since it makes up for having to pay for HBO.
Old 10-28-08, 09:58 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
the comcast customer retention rep. gave me the dates of when my tv and internet promos end and to just call and get into whatever the new promo is. I haven't paid more than $50 for hd with hbo, starz, sho, sports package (nfl network), hd dvr and $20 a month for the intranets.

I suggest everyone who has Comcast try this. If you get a rep that can't help you, just call back and the next rep will tell you something completely different.
Old 10-28-08, 11:49 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 870 Likes on 392 Posts
I've had this for a couple of months, and at first didn't know why. I wasn't going to ask about it in case it was an accident.
Then I saw a banner under my account online announcing it.
Old 10-28-08, 11:57 AM
Banned

I got a phone call that offered me free Showtime for a year as long as I kept my service the same during that year. I've had the same service for a while now so I took it. Got it right before Big Brother started.
Old 10-28-08, 12:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 266 Likes on 194 Posts
I got the same thing, it was nice that it started the same week Dexter did.
Old 10-28-08, 12:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 52 Likes on 43 Posts
I've gotten a number of things free at various times. Showtime and HBO multiple times, $10 credits every month multiple times, the HD pack, etc. DirecTV has always treated me very well
Old 10-28-08, 01:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Funny to see this posted now, as here in Canada, yesterday I got a dual tuner HD PVR free for a year, plus 20% off all programming since Bell wanted to keep me as a customer. Other people reported getting as much as 40% off of programming, but I was happy with 20%. It saves me almost $500 a year.
Old 10-28-08, 02:05 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 913 Likes on 773 Posts
i actually have this now. got it when we first moved and signed up. it went out for some reason right before "Californication", i called and they gave me another 6 months.
Old 10-28-08, 02:16 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Well I had the complete package since 04 and just recently downgraded to just HBO and SHOWTIME. Just called and said my buds had received free SHOWTIME offers and I was bummed I hadn't heard from them so she offered me Showtime for 6 months for free!!!! So thanks BUDS!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 10-28-08, 06:07 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Yeah last time I called DirecTv, I ended up with 6 months free of HBO, Showtime, Cinemax, TMC, and 3 months of Starz. Also $10 off per month for a year. I'll probably wait until the next Big Brother season and call again.

I need the direct extension to get to their customer retention area. Most of the regular customer service reps usually tell me they can't do special offers like that. The only way I finally was able to get the special deals was by saying I was cancelling at the voice prompt.
Old 10-29-08, 06:30 AM
Banned

That's a lot of spankin'
Old 10-29-08, 08:31 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

When I signed up this summer, they sent my a booklet with a coupon promo for every month. Next months coupon is for 2 free months of Showtime. I'll be calling December 1st!
Old 11-30-08, 03:56 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
I registered my Directv account online and they gave me 3 free months of Showtime. Wish I had known about it when this season of Dexter started...
Old 11-30-08, 05:27 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

DirectTV has always been good to me, I have 3 months free of Showtime right now.