Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Sega Master System Appreciation Thread: The Revival

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-08, 01:13 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sega Master System Appreciation Thread: The Revival

Following unprecedented demand, I now bring this thread back from the dead (old thread can be found at http://forum.dvdtalk.com/archive/t-446864.html)

Ok, old school Sega lovers, take off your Sega 3D glasses and out down your Sega light gun, and take a trip down memory lane.

Here is my top 20:

1-Govellius
2-Phantasy Star
3-Wonderboy 3: Dragon's Trap
4-Space Harrier/Space Harrier 3D
5-Shinobi
6-Time Soldiers
7-Hang-On/Astro Warrior (mainly for Astro Warrior)
8-Alex Kidd in Miracle World
9-Wonderboy 2: In Monster Land
10-Pro Wrestling
11-Fantasy Zone II
12-Cloud Master
13-Alex Kidd in Shinobi World
14-Basketball Nightmares (unreleased in US I think)
15-Walter Payton Football
16-Great Baseball
17-R-Type
18-Double Dragon
19-Fantasy Zone I
20-The Maze Game

Honorable Mention: Reggie Jackson Baseball, Rastan, Fantasy Zone Maze, Ghostbusters, Wonderboy, Golden Axe, Alex Kidd: The Lost Stars, Alex Kidd in High Tech World, Dynamite Dux, Paperboy, Rampage, Penguin Land, Great Tennis

NOT Honorable Mention: After Burner, Altered Beast, Thunder Blade, Out Run

Never Played (thus, no basis to rank): Ultima IV, Golden Axe Warrior, Zillion
Old 10-22-08, 07:33 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

It's nice to talk about the SMS once in a while. I'd like to mention RPGs, of which there were only a few, but 3 absolutely outstanding ones!

Phantasy Star - Actually I didn't get the chance to play this much back in the day but it pioneered a lot on consoles including 3D dungeons. Compared to the NES very graphically impressive.

Y's 1 - As far as ports of Y's 1 go I think this one has pretty much flown under the radar of most. Still I would say it's probably the best one out apart from perhaps the PC which I haven't played. Clearly more colourful than the Famicon, the weak SMS sound chip is also put to some good use with some addictive tunes. Also, the difficulty is almost spot on, making it superior IMO to the extremely easy Turboduo version (despite the sweet CD soundtrack of the later).

Ultima 4 - Wow, actually a good console port of an Ultima game? Arguably the best game in the series, and adapted well to the 2 button controller. Some large menus that may have seemed archaic to console players of the day but made perfect sense to those used to PC games. Also, graphics that are far more pretty and colourful than the PC CGA/EGA version, along with music! (the PC game had none) It was to the point where when I finally got around to Ultima V on the PC it seemed like a technical step back.

Anyway, I didn't really play PS back in the day but I thrashed the crap out of both Y's and Ultima 4 which was the beginning of my love affair with JRPGs and the Ultima series on the PC.
Old 10-22-08, 09:15 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I loved my SMS. I bought it before I got the NES and I remember preaching to everyone in junior high how great the SMS is. But everyone was enamored by Super Mario Bros....

Here are some of my favorite:

-Phantasy Star: best 8-bit console RPG. The dungeons are superb, and it takes effort to get all of your characters. Way ahead of its time too with multiple planets, a female as the lead character and great graphics/music that still look pretty good today!

-Zillion: If you like Mission Impossible, you would like this. Randomized clue so it is alittle different every time you play. The ending is very tense too
Spoiler:
with the limited time you have to get out of the maze
Sadly, the sequel is not even the same genre of action/adventure, instead, it is an average 2D sidescroller/shooter.

-Kenseiden: everyone remember Ninja Gaiden, but no one ever played this. It is better in everyway (except the cinematics). Choose your own path as a samurai that rips through feudal Japan. Great game.

-Space Harrier: Amazing 8bit conversion of the arcade game. I couldn't believe how well it plays. Too bad the other arcade conversions sucked (i.e. Outrun, Enduro Racer, etc)

-Alex Kidd in Miracle World: Not so good as Super Mario, but still very well done with a twist in the boss fight of playing Rock/Paper/Scissors. Very tough too.

-Rescue Mission: one of the best gun games for the system
Old 10-22-08, 11:15 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 228 Likes on 145 Posts
Golden Ax Warrior was an excellent zelda clone for its day.

**added a few images in case anyone was curious how much of a zelda rip off this game was.

Last edited by joeblow69; 10-22-08 at 09:11 PM.
Old 10-22-08, 12:56 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

My top 10 is always changing!

10. Rambo First Blood part 2
9. Outrun
8. Penguin Land
7. Space Harrier
6. Wonder Boy in Monster Land
5. Zillion
4. Alex Kidd in Miracle World
3. Fantasy Zone
2. Fantasy Zone II
1. Phantasy Star

Best Light Phaser Gun game: Shooting Gallery

Originally Posted by Lastblade
-Zillion: If you like Mission Impossible, you would like this. Randomized clue so it is alittle different every time you play. The ending is very tense too
Spoiler:
with the limited time you have to get out of the maze
Sadly, the sequel is not even the same genre of action/adventure, instead, it is an average 2D sidescroller/shooter.
Zillion was such a cool game. I liked that Opa-Opa from Fantasy Zone, was part of the Zillion team.
Old 10-22-08, 02:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts
Oh snap! SMS was my first system. I was the only kid on the block that didn't have an NES. And I just recently picked another one up at a garage sale for only $5.00! And it still works!

Favs:

1-Govellius (hell yeah!)
9-Wonderboy 2: In Monster Land
5-Shinobi
8-Alex Kidd in Shinobi World
5-Rastan
Kenseiden
Wonderboy

...I also used to really like some game called something along the lines of "Sector Z" or something. You were like a futuristic motor cycle who transformed into a flying robot or something.
Old 10-22-08, 10:16 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Oh yeah, Wonder Boy 3 the Dragon's Trap is probably the best game in the series (although I think there was also a version on the TG16). Great graphics and, although fairly linear, there are a number of different worlds you can explore which you unlock during the game. Revisiting the worlds with your newer abilities can allow you to access new areas to get cool items or hearts (not unlike Mario/Zelda). Also shops to buy items. Very very awesome game back in the day, still plays great now.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wonder_...ragon%27s_Trap
Old 10-23-08, 09:46 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by starseed1981
...I also used to really like some game called something along the lines of "Sector Z" or something. You were like a futuristic motor cycle who transformed into a flying robot or something.

Transbot? The game that never ended?

I sold my SMS years ago, now I'm looking to get another one. I miss it.

Phantasy Star - I loved rpgs back in the 8 bit and 16 bit days, but I outgrew them. I also had Miracle Warriors.

Shinobi - one of my favorite series. It got a little wierd later on, like Shinobi on a jet ski in S3.

Time Soldiers - I don't think I ever tried harder to beat a game than this one. When I played by myself, I would hook up second controller up and come in as a 2nd player when I was down to my last life as the 1p. Never did beat it.

Alex Kidd in Miracle World - kind of tough because the controls weren't the greatest.

Pro Wrestling - great box art. A decapitated wrestler with his own head in a head lock.

http://www.gamespot.com/pages/image_...php?pid=588122

Basketball Nightmares (unreleased in US I think) - I had this game. I remember there was a spot on the floor from almost full court where you would always make the shot.
Old 10-25-08, 10:26 AM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Some that haven't been mentioned that I enjoyed:

Ghost House
Enduro Racer
Gangster Town (?)
Choplifter
Rescue Mission
Old 10-25-08, 01:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 46 Likes on 28 Posts
Wonder Boy was my favorite.
Old 10-25-08, 04:18 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Ok, rank the sports titles in the "Great" series.

For me:

1- Great Baseball
2- Great Tennis
3- Great Volleyball
746- Great Basketball
999- Great Football

(I don't even remember, did Sega put out a Great Hockey?)
Old 10-25-08, 07:07 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

^ There was a Great Ice Hockey, Soccer, and Golf as well. I never played any of them.

I also liked Captain Silver and SpellCaster back in the day.
Old 10-25-08, 08:17 PM

I always liked Black Belt (and later, Last Battle on the Genesis). Many many years later I would find out that they were toned down Fist of the North Star games and be pissed that I was denied bloody exploding heads during my youth.
Old 10-26-08, 02:09 PM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts
Originally Posted by joeblow69
Golden Ax Warrior was an excellent zelda clone for its day.

**added a few images in case anyone was curious how much of a zelda rip off this game was.
That was a great game. In face, most of the Zelda clones were pretty good (Neutopia)
Old 10-26-08, 08:40 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Best Zelda "clone" is still Govellius (combinging Zelda I, Zelda II, and its own original elements).
Old 10-26-08, 08:44 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Ghost House was really fun, great soundtrack. I think the first game I got for it was Choplifter, played the game for hours a day sometimes. Joe Montana's Football was by far my favorite out of their sports games.
Old 10-27-08, 04:02 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by BigDaddy
Wonder Boy was my favorite.
The level one music from Wonder Boy will forever be stuck in my head. I bought Wonder Boy on the Wii's virtual console just so I could hear that song again!
Old 10-28-08, 02:28 PM
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I wonder if Sega will ever put out a collection of SMS favorites like they did with the Genesis Collection.