Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

man! people are slobs

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

man! people are slobs

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-08, 09:17 AM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
man! people are slobs

I don't know WHY I've been noticing this lately, but I usually stay through all the credits and then leave when the movie crowd has pretty much left the auditorium, but the amount of trash left behind - OI! it looks like a tornado hit, it really surprises me that with so many theatres asking patrons to throw their shit away, they just don't do it... just a minor quip.
Old 10-20-08, 10:15 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Giles
I don't know WHY I've been noticing this lately, but I usually stay through all the credits and then leave when the movie crowd has pretty much left the auditorium, but the amount of trash left behind - OI! it looks like a tornado hit, it really surprises me that with so many theatres asking patrons to throw their shit away, they just don't do it... just a minor quip.
As someone who used to have to clean movie theaters... I hate people.
Old 10-20-08, 10:30 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts
I used to have to clean theaters too, and it sucks but I also realize that it was my job. plus if I finished cleaning theaters too fast I had to take the trash out which just sucked.
Old 10-20-08, 10:39 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
As Jerry Seinfeld said, the high concession stand prices mean that it's OK to just drop your trash on the floor.
Old 10-20-08, 10:41 AM

Received 61 Likes on 39 Posts
^^^ I love that bit.

It's job security. Though I always throw my shit away, as I'm not an animal (nonhuman at least).
Old 10-20-08, 11:18 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I completely agree with the Seinfeld statement. I never throw anything away at a theater, unless it's a revival/specialty theater. They don't rip their customers off.
Old 10-20-08, 11:20 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 290 Likes on 211 Posts
I yelled at a bunch of kids one time that walked away leaving a pile of trash saying "HEY! Forget something!??" Pointing at it. They grabbed it and left. Only did it to scare them
Old 10-20-08, 11:47 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Location: Northern New Jersey...or as we say it "Sopranos Country USA"
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You make it sound like people actually care....

I live in the greater NYC area and I can tell you most people here think they are "above" throwing out their own trash. Personally, I find it pretty shitty, that is why I throw my garbage out. As a rule, I don't do anything I wouldn't want anyone to do at my house...and I don't want people leaving trash on the floor.
Old 10-20-08, 12:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Give me a way to shut up the idiots ruining my theater experience, then I will pick up my crap.
Old 10-20-08, 12:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 324 Likes on 242 Posts
Originally Posted by KillerCannibal
They don't rip their customers off.
Is it ripping us off or trying to stay in business? I would think the DVD Talk crowd is more than aware of both the insane price of movie rentals for theaters, along with the fact that about 80 percent of the gross on opening weekends (often more, and often for much longer than the first week) goes back to the studios.

The long and short of it is that the majority of theater profits come from concessions, not ticket sales.
Old 10-20-08, 12:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 379 Likes on 236 Posts
I usually bring garbage bags with me and pass them down the aisles as the movie is playing.
Old 10-20-08, 12:49 PM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by cardsfan111
I usually bring garbage bags with me and pass them down the aisles as the movie is playing.
what a novel idea
Old 10-20-08, 12:59 PM

Received 61 Likes on 39 Posts
It's one thing to leave garbage. It's another to be a slob and leave pieces of food all over the place. I'm sure that annoys the usher to no end.
Old 10-20-08, 01:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
Yet another reason in a rather long list of why I stopped going to movie theaters
Old 10-20-08, 01:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by KillerCannibal
I completely agree with the Seinfeld statement. I never throw anything away at a theater, unless it's a revival/specialty theater. They don't rip their customers off.
The high school kids cleaning the theater are not the ones who are ripping you off. You're not sticking it to anyone by leaving your crap on the ground. That's like saying "fuck the government and their taxes, I'm dumping my shit in the park!"
Old 10-20-08, 02:06 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Well, I run a movie theater and don't particlarly care if people leave their trash for my crew to pick up. I'm just happy they bought stuff. Pop spills bother me, though.

While it'd be nice if everyone took their trash with them, if I go to a sit-down restaurant I don't expect to bus the table myself afterwards. Guests pay enough.
Old 10-20-08, 02:50 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by Brack
It's one thing to leave garbage. It's another to be a slob and leave pieces of food all over the place. I'm sure that annoys the usher to no end.
Old 10-20-08, 02:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by DonnachaOne
Well, I run a movie theater and don't particlarly care if people leave their trash for my crew to pick up. I'm just happy they bought stuff. Pop spills bother me, though.

While it'd be nice if everyone took their trash with them, if I go to a sit-down restaurant I don't expect to bus the table myself afterwards. Guests pay enough.
Do you have those customer disturbance meter things that some theater chains are using now? Where if someone is causing a disturbance, they can click a button...
Old 10-20-08, 03:58 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Meh. If I bring (smuggle) in something from outside, like a can of coke, I'll throw it away. If it's something I bought there, then the people paid to clean it up can clean it up.

Originally Posted by macnorton
As a rule, I don't do anything I wouldn't want anyone to do at my house...and I don't want people leaving trash on the floor.
This would be more apt were your house an admission-charging business with a paid cleaning staff. I imagine it is not.
Old 10-20-08, 04:01 PM

Originally Posted by chuckd21
The high school kids cleaning the theater are not the ones who are ripping you off. You're not sticking it to anyone by leaving your crap on the ground. That's like saying "fuck the government and their taxes, I'm dumping my shit in the park!"
Those highschool kids are also not the ones doing any real cleaning. In my day we would pick up the bags and cups and sweep up large spills of popcorn. That's it. At night a Vietnamese cleaning crew would actually mop the floors down and vacuum the carpets. There's no way we would have done any serious cleaning for barely minimum wage.
Old 10-20-08, 05:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 361 Likes on 304 Posts
Whether or not I bring something in or purchase something at the concession stand I throw all my trash away. My girlfriend has definitely gotten me better at this over the years.

I'm not a big fan of the reason of "job security" thing. It's just rude that's all. I pick up after myself when I am at home, why do I have to be a complete slob when I go elsewhere? I work at a store that has a cafe and it annoys me to no end when people just leave their coffee on book shelves, or in just random places when it would take any effort at all to ask for a garbage can or even throw it away.

I don't work at a theater but I'm sure even if everyone picked up after themselves, there would still be a lot to clean
Old 10-20-08, 05:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Shannon Nutt
Is it ripping us off or trying to stay in business? I would think the DVD Talk crowd is more than aware of both the insane price of movie rentals for theaters, along with the fact that about 80 percent of the gross on opening weekends (often more, and often for much longer than the first week) goes back to the studios.

The long and short of it is that the majority of theater profits come from concessions, not ticket sales.
Originally Posted by chuckd21
Yes, it is ripping off. Sorry, but charging me $4.50 for a SMALL drink and $4 for a bag of candy is a fucking rip-off. I don't give a shit where a theater makes it's money - that's outrageous. And now they try to give me shit when I bring my own food in? Like they're surprised I don't want to pay those prices? Perhaps more people would be inclined to purchase snacks if they weren't so expensive. I'm not the kind of person who leaves pieces of food on the floor, or spills his drink everywhere, but I do leave my trash on the ground.
Old 10-20-08, 07:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: (formerly known as Inglenook Hampendick) Fairbanks, Alaska!
Received 513 Likes on 353 Posts
Dang Killer, maybe you should go back to cannabis!

I think it's just one tiny symptom of the whole collapse of propriety and personal responsibility that has increasingly plagued our society since the late 50s. Discuss.
Old 10-20-08, 08:55 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Medium popcorn, and medium drink "Value" Combo... $12.75. That's just fucking stupid.
Old 10-20-08, 09:18 PM

The local dollar theater used to have very nice prices on candy and whatnot. I went back there recently and things had changed. $3.75 for sweet tarts. Granted, it's the 660 calorie, 1,000,000 mg sugar Diabetic Suicide Box, but that's 96 cents at Wal-Mart!

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.