Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

Official Real World Road Rules: The Island (starts 09/10/08)

Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-08, 11:13 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm surprised no one has started a thread on this.

I have to hand it to the producers, they really shook up everything that we've come to know and love about Road Rules.

The castaways are left on a deserted island with few luxuries. Once a day, the army drops rations and supplies to the island.

There are no teams, but there is an elimination round at the end where 3 people, who are picked, have to compete against each other. The winner gets a key to the treasure chest ($300k located on a small island across the way). The 2 losers go up for vote to see who goes home.

The main task that these castaways have to do is construct 2 boats, which hold 4 people each. They will receive supplies every (tv week) to build these boats and the first team of 4 who gets over to the island will win the $300k.

If I missed anything or have incorrectly written something down, please update or correct.

Looking forward to the new season. Johanna and Kenny are already doing the dirty. She is still the prettiest to me, by far.

Chris
Old 09-11-08, 11:19 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
Watched it last night. Pretty good. Nice change in the game, to keep things interesting.

Johanna is looking good. Didn't need to see Kellyanne puke. I betcha Cohutta thought he had a chance that night until that happened.

Funny to see
Spoiler:
Tonya go home

Can't wait for Dunbar to go off on somebody.
Old 09-11-08, 11:23 AM
BDB
DVD Talk Legend

Received 113 Likes on 102 Posts
I guess I haven't looked at one of these in some time, but I found it horribly boring, and cancelled my season pass.
Old 09-11-08, 03:03 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I don't understand why Beth and/or Tonya show up to any of these shows. They won't win and they are going to receive mental abuse from day 1 from the majority of the contestants. Wouldn't even be worth a free trip for me.
Old 09-11-08, 03:21 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I'm such a sucker for these shows... love em.
Old 09-11-08, 05:08 PM

Originally Posted by dolphinboy
I don't understand why Beth and/or Tonya show up to any of these shows. They won't win and they are going to receive mental abuse from day 1 from the majority of the contestants. Wouldn't even be worth a free trip for me.
This is all for the sake of the viewers. It gives us someone to hate, though I really don't hate either one of them. But I guess I don't have to live with them!

Chris
Old 09-11-08, 06:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts
Saw it. Liked it. I love how they're talking about scrounging for food yet they seem to have an endless supply of booze and condoms. The producers are great.

Seems like a good cast. Wish Brad was there though.
Old 09-11-08, 07:26 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,826 Likes on 1,135 Posts
Wow, ok. Recently I've been wondering when the next "Challenge" show was going to hit.

Thanks for the heads up.
Old 09-11-08, 08:02 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by BadlyDrawnBoy
I guess I haven't looked at one of these in some time, but I found it horribly boring, and cancelled my season pass.
That show was like visual Ambien, I knocked me out.

I'm a sucker for RW/RR Challenges, the last one with "Big Easy" was by far the best, but this is like Survivor-lite and I'm not feeling it.
Old 09-12-08, 04:02 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts
You know what was fucking annoying? That little box in the bottom right corner advertising MTV's Pop Star show. Especially when it was covering up some of the subtitles.
Old 09-12-08, 04:41 PM

Originally Posted by fumanstan
You know what was fucking annoying? That little box in the bottom right corner advertising MTV's Pop Star show. Especially when it was covering up some of the subtitles.
They've been doing that a lot recently. I mentioned that to some friends as we were watching the VMA's. But to their core audience (teens) they couldn't give a crap.

Chris
Old 10-30-08, 06:17 PM

So, this mercifully ended last night (didn't expect it to end so soon).

And judging by the lack of posts most people here were not too interested in this years edition.

While the premise was pretty solid, they needed to have had daily challenges for other types of luxuries, etc. to keep this thing interesting.

As it was, only the twist at the end where all 4 people got to go in the final challenge (and of course EV wins that one), made it very interesting.

There were a lot of hurt feelings in the end and judging by next weeks reunion episode there will be a lot of fireworks during the show.

They need to rethink next years edition and take the elements of not living in luxury and add more challenges to mix things up.

Chris
Old 10-30-08, 08:41 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I caught this last night and it was a fairly quick season. I'm glad it's over because I'd like to see them get back to normal with constant challenges and twists rather than this premise
Old 10-31-08, 01:01 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 194 Likes on 156 Posts
I think one of the problems with this season was that there just wasn't anyone to root for, outside of maybe Cohutta & Derek (though his alliance lessoned my support for him).

While she was hardly a sympathetic character...good for Ev winning in the end. She got the screws put to her, and that's why I don't feel the least bit sorry for Paula. Her boat had that nitwit Jen, that lush Robin, and Ryan who lost any support from me when he took Kelly Anne's key...she EARNED hers.

Overall, I didn't like the format of this season though.
Old 10-31-08, 07:32 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts
I gave up on this one when Abram was voted out. It just wasn't doing it for me and Abram was just fun to watch because how freaking crazy he is. Once he left the show lost some appeal. I might check out the reunion though.
Old 10-31-08, 07:46 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Would Paula have even gotten on that boat had Dunbar stayed? I think they would have wanted him on there instead of her for the strength. I kinda liked the season although a few more challenges would have been nice. They also should have picked the teams in the boat playground pick 'em style to at least make it interesting.
Old 11-06-08, 09:15 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
On the reunion, what is up with Kellyanne's ghetto routine. She is just calling people out non-sensical. What an annoying person.