Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

Annyone wanna help with info? (PS3 and HDDVD hookups)

Community
Search
HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-08, 11:39 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Ok, first off I am not looking for anyone to reply to this with some smart ass remark about using the search engine first...........here is my situation.......... i have a projector using HDMI input for my HDDVD player, it is the ONLY HDMI input for the projector (Sayno Z3)........I have the audio hooked up to my Yamaha through the multi channel outputs and inputs on the HDDVD because the reciever does not have a HDMI input or output and I was told the sound will be better and the sound formats will be better than using optical...........NOW I just bought a PS3 and want to get the best possible picture and sound for my current setup without updating my reciever........I could easily just use component and optical for the PS3........But is it worth it to use HDMI for just video like I do with the HDDVD player and I guess use the optical out through the reciever for the sound? It even possible to use optical out and HDMI out at the same time? I don't mind buying an HDMI switcher from Monoprice if the setup would be better that way........Any input to this situation would be greatly appreciated.......thanks, Andy
Old 06-23-08, 11:48 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by andy434343
But is it worth it to use HDMI for just video like I do with the HDDVD player and I guess use the optical out through the reciever for the sound? It even possible to use optical out and HDMI out at the same time?
Yes, it's possible. That's how mine is set up ... my receiver doesn't have HDMI.

One benefit of using HDMI over component: I don't think the PS3 will upscale DVDs through component.

Last edited by Walker Boh; 06-23-08 at 11:51 AM.
Old 06-23-08, 11:58 AM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts
Originally Posted by Walker Boh
One benefit of using HDMI over component: I don't think the PS3 will upscale DVDs through component.
Correct. Upscaling is through HDMI only (I think VGA too, but I don't know if the PS3 even has an option for that)
Old 06-23-08, 12:24 PM

With two high-def disc players and a display with only one HDMI input, you are the ideal candidate for a new receiver, one that can handle multichannel LPCM via HDMI and switch audio and video for multiple HDMI sources.

The PS3, in particular, simply cannot be made to perform its best except by using HDMI for both audio and video. The HD audio codecs (Dolby TrueHD, DTS MA) and unencoded LPCM soundtracks can be output from the PS3 *only* via HDMI.

Failing that, then you might consider trying using the component video outputs from the HD-DVD player to the projector (assuming the PJ has a component input) and save the HDMI connection for the PS3, and then using the PS3 as your upconverting player. I have read multiple accounts that the PS3 component cable produces substandard PQ, but this should not be the case with an HD-DVD player.

If that doesn't work for you then yes, an HDMI switcher should work, but it won't solve the audio problem.
Old 06-23-08, 12:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
It even possible to use optical out and HDMI out at the same time? I don't mind buying an HDMI switcher from Monoprice if the setup would be better that way........Any input to this situation would be greatly appreciated.......thanks, Andy
I have a Z3 as well and use the HDMI/Optical solution. When prices come down I'll pick up a HDMI receiver.
Old 06-23-08, 12:44 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

another question and thanks for the input so far........can PS3 do mutlichannel out foe audio???????? probably not but worth asking.......
Old 06-23-08, 01:03 PM

another question and thanks for the input so far........can PS3 do mutlichannel out foe audio???????? probably not but worth asking.......
If you mean analog, no. It only has 2-channel analog outs.
Old 06-23-08, 01:06 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

ok thanks for everything........if I can find a good deal on a reciever and sell mine for an ok price, I will upgrade, if not I will just do the hdmi switcher and in the future uprade the reciever.....thanks, andy
Old 06-25-08, 06:19 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

in times of economic turmoil I justified it to myself to buy the Onkyo TX-SR606, but I got it for 325 so hope it is all it seems to be........andy