Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Used DVD sticker suggestion

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-08, 12:24 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Used DVD sticker suggestion

I saw that a couple of people were having a little trouble with stickers on their DVD's and case artwork. I don't remember which thread it was in so I apologize for having to start a new one. Anyway, I wanted to try it out myself before suggesting it and it works like a charm.

It's called Bestine. You can find it at Michael's arts & crafts for sure and some hardware stores. It's not very expensive and it works much better than Goo Gone. It evaporates pretty quickly and as far as I've been able to tell it isn't corrosive to plastic or paper. I wouldn't suggest soaking anything in it but we used to use it for removing tape from posters, prints and artwork when I was working at a frame store.

I have lot's of dvd's from Longs drugs and a couple of local video stores that just looooved to put stickers all over everything. It takes a little patience but this chemical will get them all cleaned up. For those of you like me that are anal about that sort of thing.

Hope this helps someone out.
Old 03-20-08, 05:47 AM

Originally Posted by moklerman
I saw that a couple of people were having a little trouble with stickers on their DVD's and case artwork. I don't remember which thread it was in so I apologize for having to start a new one. Anyway, I wanted to try it out myself before suggesting it and it works like a charm.

It's called Bestine. You can find it at Michael's arts & crafts for sure and some hardware stores. It's not very expensive and it works much better than Goo Gone. It evaporates pretty quickly and as far as I've been able to tell it isn't corrosive to plastic or paper. I wouldn't suggest soaking anything in it but we used to use it for removing tape from posters, prints and artwork when I was working at a frame store.

I have lot's of dvd's from Longs drugs and a couple of local video stores that just looooved to put stickers all over everything. It takes a little patience but this chemical will get them all cleaned up. For those of you like me that are anal about that sort of thing.

Hope this helps someone out.
Thanks for the suggestion.

I had been using lighter fluid on Hollywood Video stickers (on DVDs from the last two rounds of store closings) with varying degrees of success.

Lighter fluid dissolves the glue but sometimes has an effect on the ink used to print the insert and if you're not careful you can rub away color.

I'll pick up some Bestine at Michael's and try it out (the nearest Michael's closed last year but there are still six other stores left in town).
Old 03-20-08, 07:53 AM
Cool New Member

Is the name correct "Bestine". Tried a web search on Micheals wewb site and not showing up. Could also be the way their search engine is set up.
How much is a little ?
Old 03-20-08, 08:20 AM

Now if I can just find something to get rid of sticky soda. I have several DVDs (most of them TV on DVD sets, so their cardboard) that have soda on them after one leaked out into my DVD case. I tried using Goo Gone and other stuff and it started eating away at the cardboard, taking the artwork off. I ended up really messing up one or two of my DVDs, so I let them be after that.
Old 03-20-08, 08:51 AM

Bestine sells for $8 and change for a pint at Amazon.com.
Old 03-20-08, 10:19 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Bestine is a name I haven't heard since my days working in graphic arts. We used it to thin rubber cement and clean up art boards. (Nowadays, everything is done in the computer and nothing is glued to a board. Times change.)

This place has a quart for $10 and I'm sure a tour of Google results may find better prices.
Old 03-20-08, 11:02 AM

Goo Gone works great for me. You just have to let it soak in for a few seconds, then come back with another cleaning. Comes right off.
Old 03-20-08, 11:41 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It's all about the hair dryer and carefully peeling the warmed sticker off. I rarely use anything else, but goo gone or the orange-citrus based removers work OK.
Old 03-20-08, 12:46 PM

I'm sure there are various ways that work well but in the (I think it was the Hollywood/Movie Gallery closing) thread a couple of people had specifically mentioned Goo Gone/citrus based sticker removal methods not working on the particular stickers, especially on the box art. I've found that they can stain if the area is over saturated, which in my case didn't seem like I was putting too much in the first place. Plus, I find them to leave a bit of a "greasy" residue. For those two reasons, I had put off trying to "clean up" all of my used dvd's until I gave Bestine a try.

There are other chemicals out there like denatured alcohol, mineral spirits, etc. that might work but I was pretty sure that if Bestine was good enough for the people at the art store(I thought they did quality work and if they were confident using it on art that was irreplaceable...) it would be good enough for my dvd's.

Anyway, thanks to those that provided prices and links. Michael's charges $9.99 for a pint/16 oz. but they consistently have 40% and 50% off one item coupons that bring the price down to $5 or $6 plus tax. I tried Lowe's, Home Depot, Beverly's Fabrics and two local hardware stores but the people I asked weren't familiar with it. That's not to say they definitely don't carry it but I think we all know the quality of phone service these days.

Anyway, this is something that works for me and I specifically wanted it for the stickers that rental places put on the discs themselves. I was scared to mess with those because they use extra strength glue or whatever to stick those on. I usually have pretty good success stickers/tape by just being patient and peeling very slowly and just taking my time. Not on those suckers. Ripping a tiny patch off of the artwork is no picnic either.

The things I'll do for a "bargain".
Old 03-20-08, 02:00 PM

On the plastic cases I use WD-40, but I wouldn't use it if the sticker was on a non-plastic case or slipcover. It's a help since I get most of my DVDs from Gamestop.
Old 03-20-08, 02:42 PM

Originally Posted by moklerman
The things I'll do for a "bargain".
What's up with the sticker happy manufacturers/retailers anyway? They use stickers to advertise (i.e. sell the item better) but when I see a sticker on the outside of a DVD, I immediately get turned off. It has the opposite affect with me. My thoughts turn to, "Oh, great another 10 minutes of my life, I won't get back having to clean that darn thing".
Old 05-07-08, 04:22 AM

Originally Posted by GreenMonkey
It's all about the hair dryer and carefully peeling the warmed sticker off. I rarely use anything else, but goo gone or the orange-citrus based removers work OK.
For about how long do you have to use the blow dryer on the sticker?
Old 05-07-08, 07:20 AM

Has anyone tried mayonaise? Not joking.
Old 05-07-08, 08:34 AM

Originally Posted by DerangedHermit
On the plastic cases I use WD-40, but I wouldn't use it if the sticker was on a non-plastic case or slipcover. It's a help since I get most of my DVDs from Gamestop.
you get most of your dvds from gamestop? isn't that a little restrictive? they rarely have anything outside of the absolute most common stuff...

all of this, of course, is negated if you actually work there and get access to stuff before it hits the floor... which would presumably mean better titles.
Old 05-07-08, 01:33 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have no problem using goo gone, but you have to use it delicately. I know it sounds stupid, but I'll use a q-tip. The only thing I have trouble getting out is the citrus smell. I really hate that my copy of AvP smells like oranges.