Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Roger Avary arrested on suspicion of manslaughter/felony driving under the influence

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Roger Avary arrested on suspicion of manslaughter/felony driving under the influence

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-08, 01:34 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

From Bloody-Disgusting.com:

Ventura County Sheriff's Department officials said Avary, 42, who won an Academy Award in the mid-90s for the film "Pulp Fiction," was the driver in the single-car collision that occurred shortly after midnight in front of the Ojai Lumber Company on the east side of town.

A news release from the sheriff's department said Avary was under the influence of alcohol at the time of the crash.

Killed in the accident was Andreas Zini, 34, a resident of Italy who was apparently visiting the couple in Ojai, coroner's officials said.

Zini was transported to Ventura County Medical Center, where he died on the operating table shortly before 7 a.m., apparently of internal injuries, Senior Deputy Medical Examiner Craig Stevens said.

Avary's wife, Gretchen Avary, 40, was ejected from the car and found in the roadway by deputies. She was transported to Ojai Valley Community Hospital, where she was listed in stable condition late this afternoon.

Sheriff's deputies booked Avary into Ventura County Jail, but he was later released on $50,000 bail.

Attempts to reach Avary were unsuccessful.

Along with his work on "Pulp Fiction," which he co-wrote with the film's director Quentin Tarantino, Avary was know more recently as co-writer and an executive producer of the 2007 release "Beowulf."

He's also worked as a writer, producer and director on several other films.
Old 01-14-08, 02:39 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Holy shit. That's sad if it's true. I really like the guys work.
Old 01-14-08, 09:59 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts
Bastard had better be thrown in jail for a long time.
Old 01-14-08, 10:16 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm a big fan of Avary so i hope he comes out of this ok. Rules of Attraction is a masterpiece IMO. I have actually been listening to the soundtrack yesterday on my way to the movies to see Juno and to work this morning and again just a few minutes ago coming home for my lunch hour. Very Strange....Lets wait until all the facts come out on this one though for we say "kill him" please. It's not like he was a irresponsible partying asshole like Lohan, Spears, etc. It appears he had some wine with dinner which I on't think is that big of a crime.
I hope Avary and his wife are able to make it out of this ok.
Old 01-14-08, 10:29 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
Poor, poor judgment from Avary. I hope he doesn't get any special treatment.
Old 01-14-08, 10:29 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by chris_sc77
It's not like he was a irresponsible partying asshole like Lohan, Spears, etc. It appears he had some wine with dinner which I on't think is that big of a crime.
You're kidding right?
Old 01-14-08, 06:28 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
Halle Berry, Rebeccas Gayheart....dude may come away with a slap on the wrist. Don't confuse celebrity justice with real justice.

Is Brandy in prison yet for the guy she killed with her car?
Old 01-14-08, 06:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Yeah, and you know, maybe the victim's family can turn out ok too.
Old 01-14-08, 07:04 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts
It appears he had some wine with dinner which I don't think is that big of a crime.
Actually it is a crime, it's called DUI.
Old 01-14-08, 07:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
He only killed one person, so it's really not that bad. Plus I'm sure the person he killed wasn't a filmmaker or writer or anyone important.
Old 01-14-08, 07:48 PM
Suspended

Originally Posted by clemente
Is Brandy in prison yet for the guy she killed with her car?
You do realize that accidents don't necessarily get you twenty to life in prison right?

Right>?? Right?

E
Old 01-15-08, 11:14 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Maybe now he'll have to time to write a good script for Silent Hill 2.

Seriously, though, this sucks. I hope he wasn't intentionally driving knowing he was drunk. I hope his wife pulls out ok.
Old 01-15-08, 01:29 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by JumpCutz
He only killed one person, so it's really not that bad. Plus I'm sure the person he killed wasn't a filmmaker or writer or anyone important.
Old 01-16-08, 08:56 AM
Banned

From IMDB"
"Pulp Fiction screenwriter Roger Avary has apologized after he was arrested in connection with a fatal car crash in Los Angeles. Avary, 42, was charged with vehicular manslaughter and driving under the influence after Andreas Zini, a passenger in his car, died on Sunday. At the time of the crash the 34-year-old was apparently visiting Avary and his wife, Gretchen, who was also was also seriously injured - but is expected to survive. Zini was cut from the vehicle by firefighters but died several hours later at Ventura County Medical Center. An autopsy report issued on Monday determined that he died of "blunt force chest and abdominal injuries." And now Avary has expressed his sympathy to Zini's relatives. A statement from the writer says, "Roger wishes to publicly convey his heartfelt condolences to the family of the deceased. Words cannot express how sorry he is, and this tragic accident will always haunt him." The writer, who has been freed on $50,000 bail, faces an arraignment hearing on Friday. Avary won an Oscar, along with Quentin Tarantino, for his work on 1994 cult movie Pulp Fiction. He was also a co-writer on last year's animated epic Beowulf."
Old 01-16-08, 09:48 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Well, atleast he's sorry....what more do you people want from the man?!? I hope society and HOLLYWOOD can just move on from this little accident. Sheesh!
Old 12-14-08, 08:53 AM
Banned

Some very sad news to report:
from IMDB:
"Pulp Fiction Writer Charged Over Death Crash

14 December 2008 6:21 AM, PST

Pulp Fiction screenwriter Roger Avary has been charged with vehicular manslaughter in connection with a fatal car crash earlier this year.

Avary, 42, faced prosecutors at a Ventura County, California courthouse on Friday to face charges of gross vehicular manslaughter for his part in the horrific car smash in January, which left his passenger Andreas Zini dead. Avary's wife, was also injured in the accident, but made a full recovery.

Avary pleaded not guilty to manslaughter.

As well as the manslaughter charge, the writer faces two felony counts of causing bodily injury while intoxicated. If found guilty he could face up to 11 years behind bars.

A pre-trial conference is set for 20 February in Ventura.

Avary won an Oscar, along with Quentin Tarantino, for his work on 1994 cult movie Pulp Fiction. He was also a co-writer on last year's animated epic Beowulf. "
Old 12-14-08, 09:31 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Shit, that sucks big time. As much as I love his work (I agree on Rules of Attraction being a masterpiece), in the words of Vin Vega, "You play with fire, you're gonna get burned."

I wonder what that means for Glamorama.
Old 12-14-08, 10:03 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,302 Likes on 946 Posts
I wonder, when told he was being charged, if Roger said "What?!?"
Old 12-14-08, 10:07 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Some very sad news to report:
from IMDB:
"Pulp Fiction Writer Charged Over Death Crash
No, this is the very sad news:
Killed in the accident was Andreas Zini, 34, a resident of Italy who was apparently visiting the couple in Ojai, coroner's officials said.
Old 12-14-08, 12:44 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by NoirFan
No, this is the very sad news:
They can both be sad news. Andreas Zini was one of Avary's good friends, so it's not like he feels good about it.

If he was drinking and is found guilty, then he recieves the justice he deserves, but that doesn't mean the whole incident wasn't sad all around and that Avary can't be shown some sympathy.
Old 12-14-08, 01:27 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Why did it take so long just to charge him?
Old 12-14-08, 03:41 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 366 Likes on 266 Posts
Originally Posted by Kicker_of_Elves
Why did it take so long just to charge him?
Because shit goes down every quarter-second. And there's only so many employees and so many work hours to prosecute people.

Don't forget that Andreas Zini DID get in the car, by his own free will.

So, yea, it happens. Tragic stuff. People die.
Old 12-15-08, 01:51 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 88 Likes on 67 Posts
Driving while intoxicated? Well fuck him then.
Old 12-15-08, 03:10 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Gunde
Driving while intoxicated? Well fuck him then.
Agreed. He deserves whatever is coming to him. I don't give a shit who he is.
Old 12-15-08, 07:58 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts
Very Strange....Lets wait until all the facts come out on this one though for we say "kill him" please. It's not like he was a irresponsible partying asshole like Lohan, Spears, etc. It appears he had some wine with dinner which I on't think is that big of a crime.
Other than saying that Avary is good at what he does there is not a single thing about this post I agree with. The man got drunk, got into the driver's seat with his wife and friends in the car. Crashed the car and killed his friend. If that isn't irresponsible I don't know what is.

It's an unfortunate situation. I am a fan of the guy (loved Rules of Attraction, very underrated). But it happened and he won't get any sympathy from me.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.