Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Madonna Highlights Rock Hall Inductees!

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-07, 02:03 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It's official! This makes me very excited. She's certainly earned this honor!

http://music.msn.com/music/article.a...88457&GT1=7702

Madonna Highlights Rock Hall Inductees
Dec. 13, 2007, 10:56 AM EST

The Associated Press

CLEVELAND -- The Material Girl is now a Hall of Famer.

Madonna was announced as a Rock and Roll Hall of Fame inductee on Thursday along with John Mellencamp, The Ventures, Leonard Cohen and The Dave Clark Five.

A panel of 600 industry figures selected the five acts to be inducted at the annual ceremony, to be held March 10 in New York. To be eligible, artists must have issued a first single or album at least 25 years before nomination.

Madonna Louise Ciccone signed with Sire Records in 1982 and became one of MTV's first stars two years later with "Like A Virgin." She has constantly altered her image ever since, showing staying power that few '80s stars could muster.

Indiana native Mellencamp became a voice of America's heartland with hits like "Pink Houses"; and Cohen's "Suzanne" and "Dress Rehearsal Rag" made him a folk rock icon in the late 1960s.

The Ventures defined instrumental guitar rock in the '60s with surfer anthems like "Walk Don't Run" and "Hawaii Five-O," and The Dave Clark Five were one of the most successful British invasion bands with "Glad All Over."

Last edited by MadonnasManOne; 12-13-07 at 02:12 PM.
Old 12-13-07, 02:14 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 208 Likes on 120 Posts
It will be nice if Nokie Edwards shows up. I saw him last year at the Guitar Geek Festival.
Old 12-13-07, 02:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 74 Likes on 48 Posts
Originally Posted by MadonnasManOne
It's official! This makes me very excited. She's certainly earned this honor!
Yeah, except that she's never created or performed a lick of rock and roll.
Old 12-13-07, 03:05 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 21 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by cdollaz
Yeah, except that she's never created or performed a lick of rock and roll.

She covered American Pie...terribly, but still!
Old 12-13-07, 03:20 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Those of you posting, just to be an ass, can move along.

Madonna has become quite skilled at rocking out on the guitar, which she has proven during her past three tours, where she has performed rock renditions of some of her biggest hits. On top of that, she has several tracks that have appeared on her last few albums that certainly have a "rock and roll" sensibility. She's also performed, on a couple of occassions, with Lenny Kravitz.

The definition of "rock" is far more ranging than people think. Quite a few acts have been inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame that aren't defined by the strict definition of "rock" that many people have.
Old 12-13-07, 03:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Those of you posting, just to be an ass, can move along.

Madonna has become quite skilled at rocking out on the guitar, which she has proven during her past three tours, where she has performed rock renditions of some of her biggest hits. On top of that, she has several tracks that have appeared on her last few albums that certainly have a "rock and roll" sensibility. She's also performed, on a couple of occassions, with Lenny Kravitz.

The definition of "rock" is far more ranging than people think. Quite a few acts have been inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame that aren't defined by the strict definition of "rock" that many people have.
No one is being an ass, so lighten the fuck up and stop getting so defensive. No one is denying her talent or place in music history, just that she has no place in the R&R HOF, regardless of the way-out examples you have given.
Old 12-13-07, 04:06 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

She does have a place. Why? Because she was nominated by the industry, and she was voted for the induction by the industry. Who's a better judge of who belongs in the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame? The music industry, or people who have no connection to it, and just giving their opinions? I would say that it's the music industry who are better qualified to make that judgement.
Old 12-13-07, 04:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

She does have a place. Why? Because she was nominated by the industry, and she was voted for the induction by the industry. Who's a better judge of who belongs in the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame? The music industry, or people who have no connection to it, and just giving their opinions? I would say that it's the music industry who are better qualified to make that judgement.
So, since the music industry says it, it must be so. Just like those who vote for the grammy's (the music industry) truly know what the best songs, albums, and artists are every year.

Quite frankly, I wouldn't trust the music industry's opinion on anything.

Last edited by cdollaz; 12-13-07 at 04:21 PM.
Old 12-13-07, 04:21 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

So, since the music industry says it, it must be so.
That is correct. Who better to judge the music industry, than the music industry?
Old 12-13-07, 04:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

That is correct. Who better to judge the music industry, than the music industry?
Considering the music industry is responsible for the current model of the business and responsible for all of the shit that is on the airwaves and in stores, I think I would prefer just about anyone else to judge the music industry. The music industry is pretty much shit.
Old 12-13-07, 04:26 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,200 Likes on 4,227 Posts
Deserving inductees all (except maybe The Dave Clark Five, who really weren't all that remarkable, IMO). The Rock & Roll HOF has always been about popular music, not just R&R. If the girl groups of the 50s and 60s qualify, then OF COURSE Madonna does as well. I'm surprised it took this long for Lenord Cohen to be inducted (not knowing off hand, but he must have been eligible for a decade now). Yeah, there are still major snubs aplenty (I don't think KISS has even been a nominee yet, which is just absurd), but this is a pretty respectable class.

It's weird seeing artists inducted who first became popular in my junior high years. It makes me feel very old indeed.
Old 12-13-07, 04:27 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Considering the music industry is responsible for the current model of the business and responsible for all of the shit that is on the airwaves and in stores, I think I would prefer just about anyone else to judge the music industry. The music industry is pretty much shit.
So says you. You are one person.

Regardless, let's just end this debate. I am not going to agree with you, and you aren't going to agree with me. There would be no end to this discussion, because we aren't going to agree with each other.
Old 12-13-07, 05:11 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I don't wanna go along with someone having the name Madonna in their name (a little too much love ), but I gotta agree that she belongs there. The definitions are a little loose that they seem to have incorporated pop as well as rock.

"Ray of Light" certainly flirts with rock if not being called that.

Better than all of it is seeing The Ventures inducted! Cool as hell.
Old 12-13-07, 05:18 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
No one is denying her talent or place in music history,
Then could I be the first?
Old 12-13-07, 05:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by nodeerforamonth
Then could I be the first?
Not in this thread, apparantly.
Old 12-13-07, 06:10 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Decker
Yeah, there are still major snubs aplenty (I don't think KISS has even been a nominee yet, which is just absurd), but this is a pretty respectable class.
speaking as a huge KISS fan... I hope they never get nominated.
Old 12-13-07, 06:46 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 208 Likes on 120 Posts
ABBA
Albert King
Alice Cooper
B-52s
Ben E. King
Billy Idol
Billy Preston
Blue Öyster Cult
Boston
Burt Bacharach
Cat Stevens
Cheap Trick
Chicago
Deep Purple
Def Leppard
Dire Straits
Donovan
Doobie Brothers
Duran Duran
Electric Light Orchestra
Foreigner
Genesis
Hall & Oates
Heart
Iggy Pop
Iron Maiden
Jeff Beck
Jethro Tull
Jimmy Buffett
Joan Jett
Joe Cocker
Journey
Judas Priest
Kiss
Linda Ronstadt
Los Lobos
Lou Reed
Metallica
Neil Diamond
Ozzy Osbourne (solo)
Pat Benatar
Pete Townshend (solo)
Peter Frampton
Peter Gabriel
Roxy Music
Rush
Ry Cooder
Sonny and Cher
Squeeze
Steppenwolf
Steve Miller Band
Steve Winwood (solo)
Stevie Ray Vaughan
Sting (solo)
Styx
Supertramp
T. Rex
The Cars
The Cure
The Doobie Brothers
The Go-Go's
The Hollies
The Jam
The Moody Blues
The Replacements
The Smiths
Thin Lizzy
Three Dog Night
Todd Rundgren
Tom Waits
Yes

Just a few of the many that AREN'T in, but that ARE eligible. Now I like Madonna, but the Rock Hall is f'd up.

Last edited by Chrisedge; 12-13-07 at 06:50 PM.
Old 12-13-07, 07:50 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Chrisedge
ABBA
Albert King
Alice Cooper
B-52s
Ben E. King
Billy Idol
Billy Preston
Blue Öyster Cult
Boston
Burt Bacharach
Cat Stevens
Cheap Trick
Chicago
Deep Purple
Def Leppard
Dire Straits
Donovan
Doobie Brothers
Duran Duran
Electric Light Orchestra
Foreigner
Genesis
Hall & Oates
Heart
Iggy Pop
Iron Maiden
Jeff Beck
Jethro Tull
Jimmy Buffett
Joan Jett
Joe Cocker
Journey
Judas Priest
Kiss
Linda Ronstadt
Los Lobos
Lou Reed
Metallica
Neil Diamond
Ozzy Osbourne (solo)
Pat Benatar
Pete Townshend (solo)
Peter Frampton
Peter Gabriel
Roxy Music
Rush
Ry Cooder
Sonny and Cher
Squeeze
Steppenwolf
Steve Miller Band
Steve Winwood (solo)
Stevie Ray Vaughan
Sting (solo)
Styx
Supertramp
T. Rex
The Cars
The Cure
The Doobie Brothers
The Go-Go's
The Hollies
The Jam
The Moody Blues
The Replacements
The Smiths
Thin Lizzy
Three Dog Night
Todd Rundgren
Tom Waits
Yes

Just a few of the many that AREN'T in, but that ARE eligible. Now I like Madonna, but the Rock Hall is f'd up.

Wow..just..wow. I like Madonna just fine (and she is rock, which encompasses everything from Little Richard to Motorhead to ZZ Top to Stryper, whether you like "this kind" or "that kind" of rock or not). But the list above is a shining example of why I don't give two shits about ever going to see the RnR HOF. Hell, my house is a far better example (to me, anyway) of the types of things/groups that should be in the HOF.
Old 12-13-07, 07:59 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Madonna rocks... but she doesn't Rock And Roll.

What a stupid choice for the HOF
Old 12-13-07, 08:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

nameless people on the internets!
Old 12-13-07, 08:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Stupid choice. She's about as relevant to R&R as Bob Marley is to death metal.

Being popular doesn't mean you're automatically allowed to be categorized as rock and roll. Madonna has NEVER been considered rock and roll, so why now? I'll tell you why: because the Hall of Shit, and it's nominations, are controlled by the editor of Rolling Stone. That douchebag is probably giving noms to his friends left and right, while leaving out true talent like Alice Cooper and KISS.

Speaking of which, since the guy HATES KISS with a passion I can safely say I don't think they'll EVER be nominated, much less inducted.
Old 12-13-07, 08:34 PM
Cool New Member

Oy,

After reading this thread, I'm doubly glad she's in. If you don't agree with the Hall of Fame guidelines, why should you care if she's in or not?

That being said, Rush really should be on the nominated list next year...
Old 12-13-07, 08:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
If there is a music industry hall of fame? Go for it. A popular music hall of fame? She should be one of the first. But the fact is, she shouldn't be in the Rock and Roll Hall. Hell, I can play the guitar as well (and been doing it a lot longer than her), should I be there as well? Of course not. Just because she has learned to play an instrument doesnt a rocker make. Hell, Lou Reed and Ozzy Osbourne as a soloist isnt even in yet for fucks sake.

Again, she is definitely a musical icon, and I enjoy a good deal of her music, but far from rock and roll.
Old 12-13-07, 09:14 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 21 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by Chrisedge

You listed the Doobie Brothers twice, but yeah, pretty much.
Old 12-13-07, 10:15 PM

It's established the R&R hall of fame plays loose with the definition of R&R (if they could go back in time and call it the Music hall of fame they probably would) so why carry on about this? Madonna is the modern day female Elvis. I wouldn't call her Rock & Roll but if they stuck to only artists that you could define that way, it would start becoming very slim pickings right around coincidentally 25 years ago... what happens when they hit the late 80's? They are going to start to induct rap performers, Heavy Metal bands, then all the grunge stuff in the 90's (Nirvana, Alanis...?? slim pickings even as they branch out). I say define any artist or band who can get an audience at their feet as "R&R".

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.