Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Codemaster's Jericho - The new Doom?

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-07, 01:27 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 120 Likes on 108 Posts
Codemaster's Jericho - The new Doom?

Hey

At first I wasn't really sold on this game especially after viewing the "Demo" footage but after I looked deeper into this game it could be very well the best horror action game to date. This has a "Doom" feel to it but with lots of extras. Throw in the King of Horror himself, Clive Barker, and this has some serious creepy off the wall game play.

The demo really doesn't justify or show the overall look of the game. Any Resident Evil or Doom fan will love this. You're not alone on this mission like the other but do have squad mates but they're far from normal as each has special powers along with specialized arms. The best part is you can switch with one you want to play in the middle of the action. And you can control them to a point.

When I played Doom and earlier Resident Evil games the creatures were scarry in their own way. Clive Barker and Codemasters has taken this to a new level. The downside is no MP or even coop but the focus according to them was getting the most out of single player with several options being provided. Still this could take the crown as Best Horror FPS.

http://www.codemasters.com/

http://news.teamxbox.com/xbox/14886/...r-New-Screens/

Kenny J- Buzz Starhopper
Old 10-24-07, 02:29 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm a big enough Clive Barker fan that I went ahead and pre-ordered this. I should have it soon and will post my thoughts then.
Old 10-24-07, 05:49 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
If the reviews are any indication its one of the worst games of the year.
Old 10-24-07, 06:44 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,818 Likes on 1,132 Posts
Originally Posted by darkside
I don't know man, I posted this in the 360 thread just last night....

Ok, I just played the "Clive Barker's JERICHO" demo and that game rocked. I think some here hated it. but I think the graphics are decent(kinda "GOW-ish"/Bioshock-ish with a different color scheme) , the mood is creepy as hell, and most important...the team members and how you can use them is fun as hell.

I can't wait till this comes out.
I'm sure it will have good and bad but what game doesn't? Besides, one reviewers crap game is another man's hidden gem.
Old 10-24-07, 06:47 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Meh, the only thing it has in common with Doom (3) is the entire game is dark as hell and you need to use the flashlight constantly just to see anything. It seemed like a fairly generic FPS to me.
Old 10-24-07, 11:22 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by darkside
It's not doing that bad -

Metacritic.com

GameStats.com
Old 10-24-07, 12:07 PM
Video Game Talk Reviewer

1up are the only ones that gave it a bad review (based on what Metacritic shows.) Who gives a fuck about what they think? Their site sucks ass.
Old 10-24-07, 12:29 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I don't think this game will compare to something like Bioshock or Halo 3, but it looks pretty decent. The demo wasn't bad, and most of the reviews I've seen are around the high 7's or 8's.
Old 10-24-07, 05:27 PM
Banned

I always thought Painkiller (PC game) would have turned into the next Doom since it had much more in common with the old Doom games than Doom 3 ever did. It got favorable reviews and was somewhat popular for a year or so. However, it has since then dropped completely off the radar. I never hear people talking about it anymore.
Old 10-24-07, 06:35 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 120 Likes on 108 Posts
Originally Posted by flashburn
Meh, the only thing it has in common with Doom (3) is the entire game is dark as hell and you need to use the flashlight constantly just to see anything. It seemed like a fairly generic FPS to me.

Well that's what I thought at first and like I said the demo level is one of the darkest in the game. However if you look at screens and other game movies there are allot of outdoor shots along with indoor that has more lighting.That's one aspect is has over Doom is that it's no all darkness.

Kenny J - Buzz Starhopper
Old 10-24-07, 07:02 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts
Originally Posted by Wick
1up are the only ones that gave it a bad review (based on what Metacritic shows.) Who gives a fuck about what they think? Their site sucks ass.
Wow, a 3 out of 10. A score that low usually indicates the game is in some way broken.
Old 10-25-07, 07:22 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by taffer
I always thought Painkiller (PC game) would have turned into the next Doom since it had much more in common with the old Doom games than Doom 3 ever did. It got favorable reviews and was somewhat popular for a year or so. However, it has since then dropped completely off the radar. I never hear people talking about it anymore.
Not completely, Painkiller: Overdose is coming out on 10/30. I really liked the first game.

http://www.projectoverdose.com/
Old 10-26-07, 08:27 AM

Off topic: How do you get pictures to show in the thread like the one above?
Old 10-26-07, 08:33 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by SteelgearX
Off topic: How do you get pictures to show in the thread like the one above?
you type "[img]" before the link and "[/img]" after to link to the picture.

Like "[img]www.linktopicture.com/pic.jpg[/img]"

Tried the demo of Jericho last night and didn't like it. I'm not a fan of squad based games though, plus it didn't run too good on my computer (that was expected, I have to run Stalker at 800X600 )

Last edited by Nifty03; 10-26-07 at 09:25 AM.
Old 10-26-07, 09:24 AM

Thank you.
Old 10-26-07, 04:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Didn't realize I could play this free on GameTap. If I get time this weekend I will give it a try.
Old 10-26-07, 11:17 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

I picked this up tonight and I can't wait to fire it up.

EDIT:I'm playing through on hard and so far it's been an engrossing experience. The storyline, the team members, creepy vibe of this game is pretty cool.

I'll agree with earlier posts about parts of this game being seriously dark requiring heavy flashlight usage. But the areas where it's dark are dark for good reason and it certainly adds to the claustrophobic, "oh shit! what's over there?! and the "what could be around that corner!?", atmosphere of the game. So far I've only come across one kind of creature and it reminded me of something from "The Suffering".

The team is split into 2 teams each with specific members and you can give team orders to the separate "alpha" and "Omega" teams during certain parts of the game depending on the situation. I guess the game is like the Rainbow Six/Ghost Recon games in that you can give team commands like, "hold", "follow", and "Go". And you can send each team individually to specific locations by choosing the team, pointing the cursor, then giving the command to move to that location. I like this a lot. To be honest, I think the Ai for this team -may- be a bit better than the RS/GR series but who knows.

Each team member has a special power and unlike recent RS/GR games, you can switch between members, by way of possession, to take advantage of their abilities and use the best member for a situation. I'm only so far in and the game hasn't allowed me to do that yet because it's teaching me how to use different controller functions as the game advances. But the player can do things early on like use the team leader character's Healing powers. When an attack occurs and a team member is down a skull appears above their head and he can bring them back to fight again.

Last edited by Giantrobo; 10-28-07 at 05:17 AM.
Old 10-27-07, 06:02 PM
Video Game Talk Reviewer

I played it for about two and a half hours today and I really like it. It's not perfect but, as the previous post mentions, the story is very engrossing and you actually care about the team. I find it to be a lot of fun and it's some really sick shit.

Clive Barker is also my favourite author. I met him in Toronto, back in 2004, and he's probably the nicest guy I ever met.
Old 10-27-07, 06:54 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Location: Where the sky is always Carolina Blue! (Currently VA - again...)
Ok, this is one of my pet peeves - why are some demos on XBL "region tuned"? I haven't been able to d/l the demo for this one or Area 51 Blacksite because apparently I live in the wrong country. Yes I'm in S. Korea - I get that, but I'm trying to d/l a freaking demo! I can almost understand the reluctance to let me d/l ANY of the videos or tv episodes on xbl, but a game demo??? I'm using a US Xbox, registered to a US address. WTF!?!
Old 10-28-07, 07:56 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by taffer
I think painkiller is the new. I think the new one comes out soon maybe even this year. The only problem was the lack of mods.
Old 11-01-07, 09:45 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Dangit! I know only 2 or 3 here are playing this but I need some help...

Spoiler:
I'm totally stuck in the area where Delgado's Fire protection power is introduced and the Flame throwing Demons are also brought in. It's the area where they come out of the dark tunnel. Anyway, I've used Delgado's new power but I get killed, switch bodies, get killed again, then the Priest dies then GAME OVER.

Help! I'm playing on Hard and I can't get past this point.