Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Why No Cassavetes' "Husbands" on DVD?

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-07, 10:54 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Why No Cassavetes' "Husbands" on DVD?

I've wanted John Cassavetes' "Husbands" on DVD, but no dice. I saw it a long time ago on cable, and I recently managed to download it. Unfortunately, the download is low-resolution, and has French subtitles, which are distracting. I don't believe in downloading, but since it's not available, it's better that than nothing. Used VHS tapes of it are very expensive, too. I just love watching those three actors (Falk, Gazzara, Cassavetes) improvising together, and it's my favorite Cassavetes' film, maybe the only one I really like. Plus, it's just a great take on male camraderie, not to mention men behaving somewhat badly; although I'm not a man, it amuses me. Is there some kind of rights issue with the studio, which also might be why it didn't wind up on the Cassavetes boxed set? Or is it a matter of Gena Rowlands having some problems with it? I can't seem to find a clear answer.
Old 10-20-07, 11:58 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Husbands and Love Streams are owned by Sony via Cannon/MGM/UA. These films did terribly in their initial VHS releases and were remaindered in gross (hence, sealed VHS copies still turn up in the secondary market). Sony has not to date had enough confidence in them to release them in DVD (except for Love Streams with non-removable French subs and French narrator voiceover in France), and yet they're priced the right too dearly for Criterion to obtain, or at least that's the way I've heard it.

There a new 35MM print of Love Streams that was struck in 2006 so perhaps we'll see it released here soon. I don't know anything futher about plans for Husbands though
Old 10-20-07, 04:08 PM

Thanks for the info. Even though "Husbands" may have been remaindered, I've never seen a VHS priced for less than $50, even rental returns. I'm glad I was able to see it recently via a torrent site. In doing a little more research, it seems the Criterion boxed set are all films owned by the Cassavetes family. I'm not sure why Columbia doesn't let Criterion have a chance at "Husbands," if they're willing to take the risk on low sales. I also found out there was over a million feet of film shot for that project, so that would probably make a nice two or three disc set. Those three actors had great chemistry, even though the film itself isn't that much, story-wise.
Old 10-20-07, 04:38 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Originally Posted by Breton
Thanks for the info. Even though "Husbands" may have been remaindered, I've never seen a VHS priced for less than $50, even rental returns.
Fortunately, Cassavetes seems to be better appreciated now than he was even a few years ago. Those VHS tapes going for $50+ now probably sold for a $1 or less each in bulk in the late 80's.

I also found out there was over a million feet of film shot for that project, so that would probably make a nice two or three disc set.
A million feet of film was not exceptional for Cassavetes personal films all the way back to Shadows. With the exception of Killing of a Chinese Bookie he never intended for alternative footage to be shown commercially. You can be sure that Rowlands would do everything in her power, whatever that might be, to prevent alternative cuts and raw footage to be used, just as she's done with the first cut of Shadows.

Those three actors had great chemistry, even though the film itself isn't that much, story-wise.
Of course none of Cassavetes' personal films amount to much story-wise. Of those he made for himself, Killing of a Chinese Bookie is the only one that has a truly dramatic story element and it is given away in the title alone.

Last edited by Yakuza Bengoshi; 10-20-07 at 05:27 PM.
Old 10-20-07, 05:21 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I've loved what Cassavetes I've seen (Chinese Bookie and A Woman Under the Influence), and Husbands is something that's intrigued me for years.

And in fact, I could see this possibly happening through Criterion with regards to those Bottle Rocket whisperings, as Sony owns that as well. And if we get our way, Night of the Creeps and The Legend of Billie Jean will be coming from Anchor Bay (not even a rumor, but here's to hoping).
Old 10-21-07, 01:49 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Yakuza Bengoshi
Of those he made for himself, Killing of a Chinese Bookie is the only one that has a truly dramatic story element and it is given away in the title alone.
Uhh, spoiler alert... hello?