Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Feedback > Forum Feedback and Support
Reload this Page >

Is "Report Bad Post" the Proper Protocol to Request a Thread Move/Lock/etc?

Community
Search
Forum Feedback and Support Post forum feedback and related problems, here.

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-07, 12:56 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I noticed that the Report Bad Post screen indicates it should only be used for spam, ads, personal attacks, etc. Is it proper to use it for less inflammatory situations as well?

Let's say I create a thread in one forum, and after a few posts it becomes clear that it would probably be better suited for another forum. Or a thread gets crazy long and needs another version with the old one locked. How would the mods/admins prefer I request it be moved/locked -- report the first post, e-mail the mods of that forum, or post in Feedback? This has always been a little unclear to me, and maybe it doesn't really matter, but if it does, I'd like to make sure I'm doing it the right way.

Thanks.

das
Old 08-10-07, 04:02 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 680 Likes on 456 Posts
I've been wondering the same thing.

I've been avoiding using that button for such things, and have been emailed the mods thru the links in their profiles.

And does that button send things to all the mods, all the mods for that particular forum, the lead mod of that forum,..? Just curious.
Old 08-10-07, 04:10 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It sends it to all the mods for that forum.

I'm not sure what the other mods think, but I prefer that way. You have the best chance of your request getting done in a timely manner that way
Old 08-10-07, 04:36 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 680 Likes on 456 Posts
Cool, it would be easier to use that one button for everything. Although that button does not exist on your own posts for some reason.

The email functions of the forum software are a little flaky. I've heard lots of stories of the email links in profiles not working, and the subscribed threads emails are spotty. I imagine this "report this thread" button uses email as well, so is it problematic as well?
Old 08-10-07, 05:23 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I think that message how it's only used to report spam/etc is just a template, so by default it says that. I'm sure it could be changed, but essentially it's the same thing as just sending a mod/admin a email through the forum.
Old 08-10-07, 11:00 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by das Monkey
I noticed that the Report Bad Post screen indicates it should only be used for spam, ads, personal attacks, etc.
Crap. I've used it several times to report a duplicate thread, or to pass on a delete request.
Originally Posted by Venusian
I'm not sure what the other mods think, but I prefer that way. You have the best chance of your request getting done in a timely manner that way
Yay, I'm a genius!