Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

187 - Are there schools that are really that bad?

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-07, 10:20 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just watched the film 187 with Samuel L. Jackson. I loved the movie, but it was just so depressing. Are there really schools that are as bad as the school depicted in the movie? I'm lucky to have been raised and gone to school in a small Indiana town, so I guess I am naive as to what big city schools are like. You couldn't pay me enough to work in a school like the one in the movie. Every single day would be a nightmare.

Last edited by taffer; 08-06-07 at 10:25 AM.
Old 08-06-07, 11:59 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
Read (at leas the first part of) Jonathan Kozol's Savage Inequalities: Children in America's Schools. It's non-fiction, but I could not believe some of the stuff happening in that book. Granted, it's now been 15 years since and who knows if anything improved, but it's still terrible.
Old 08-06-07, 12:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It depends on where... If the school is in shitty neighborhood with high crime, yes. According to the movie, it's written by real life teacher.
Old 08-06-07, 03:53 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Visit any school in the Kensington district of Philly or on Baltimore's West Side. Third World Country doesn't even describe it.

-Doc
Old 08-06-07, 04:15 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts
It's sad, but probably true. Kids either stay in school or face jail time (like the gang in 187)

Add that to the fact that most teachers get paid jack shit, and you got a "winning" situation.
Old 08-06-07, 04:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 241 Likes on 152 Posts
My friend teaches chigh school classes with what's termed "emotional support" cases, and pretty much all of his students have parole officers, and many are wearing those tracking things.

This is in a district far, far, removed from the inner city. Guards, metal detectors, etc. are now commonplace in schools across the country. If it's this bad way out here in Hlllbilly Hell, the kind of schools described in 187 must be far worse by now.
Old 08-06-07, 05:42 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Time for the "Battle Royale" initiative to be enacted.

... and I only sort of kid.
Old 08-06-07, 07:15 PM

Just as a side note, I absolutely love this movie... Definitely flew under the radar.
Old 08-06-07, 09:55 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I have worked in Toledo City Schools in Ohio for the past 10 years as a teacher and principal and can tell you most depictions of schools on tv are completely sensationalized. I have never feared for my safety or my students safety a single day of my carear. Toledo is the fourth largest city in our state behind Columbus, Cleveland, and Cincinnati. Our schools are not falling apart, we dont have metal detectors, we dont have graffiti all over our walls, and our kids are not assaulted our killed on a weekly basis. Granted Toledo is not LA or NY, but we do have our share of gangs and violence in the city. I have seen some incredibly sad home lives and heard horrible stories from my students, but it is still not the school culture you see in the movies or watch on television. Its not even close.

Last edited by Bcolon; 08-06-07 at 09:57 PM.
Old 08-06-07, 10:47 PM

I haven't seen the movie so I can't say how accurately it represents the worst of the inner-city schools. And I don't mean to belittle Bcolon's experiences, but my own at a general high school on Chicago's west side were much different. There were definitely times when I worried for my students' safety----especially during the spring when gang recruiting became more aggressive.

IIRC, there have been something like 30 Chicago public school students die violent deaths this year.

I no longer teach in the city.

Last edited by Draven6593; 08-07-07 at 02:50 PM.
Old 08-07-07, 02:46 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Bcolon
I have worked in Toledo City Schools in Ohio for the past 10 years as a teacher and principal and can tell you most depictions of schools on tv are completely sensationalized. I have never feared for my safety or my students safety a single day of my carear. Toledo is the fourth largest city in our state behind Columbus, Cleveland, and Cincinnati. Our schools are not falling apart, we dont have metal detectors, we dont have graffiti all over our walls, and our kids are not assaulted our killed on a weekly basis. Granted Toledo is not LA or NY, but we do have our share of gangs and violence in the city. I have seen some incredibly sad home lives and heard horrible stories from my students, but it is still not the school culture you see in the movies or watch on television. Its not even close.
NYC isn't even that bad anymore. And not to piss in your cheerios, but the fourth largest city in Ohio compared to the western district of Philadelphia - the largest city in the state and the highest murder-rate-per-capita of the nation's ten largest cities - is like comparing apples and fighter jets. You're lucky your district is as good as it is. This is not so in many, many areas.

-Doc
Old 08-07-07, 03:03 PM
MrX
DVD Talk Hero

Received 259 Likes on 195 Posts
Rent season 4 of The Wire when it comes out. One of the producers is a former cop who became a teacher in the Baltimore public school system and that's where a good deal of season 4 takes place, not to mention it's the best show on television.
Old 08-07-07, 03:13 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by MrX
Rent season 4 of The Wire when it comes out. One of the producers is a former cop who became a teacher in the Baltimore public school system and that's where a good deal of season 4 takes place, not to mention it's the best show on television.

Seconded, Thirded, and Fourth.... ed.

!!!

-Doc
Old 08-07-07, 06:55 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I work NYPD/School Safety and schools over here in the South Bronx are pretty crazy. You'd be surprised how many kids bring guns to school but you'll never see it or read it in the papers.