Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

A question for anyone who watched Boomtown...

Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-07, 11:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've heard nothing but good things about Boomtown and I understand that it was cancelled after just two seasons. Is it worth watching? Were there a lot of loose ends or was there some sort of conclusion?

I just don't want to waste my time watching both seasons if I am going to be aggravated after it's all said and done...
Old 07-28-07, 12:05 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,640 Likes on 2,613 Posts
Season 1 was 18 episodes and got released on DVD by Lions Gate. The 18 episodes were very good and the season finale didn't leave you hanging with a cliff hanger, so I think you can watch them and feel satisfied.

Season 2 got cancelled after 2 or 3 episodes aired and 6 were shot. The remaining episodes aired during a weekend marathon during the holidays and they were fantastic. I'm still pissed that Lions Gate couldn't have added them to Season 1 and called it "The Complete Series" Unfortunately season 2 will never see the light of day on DVD.
Old 07-28-07, 12:06 AM

Boomtown Season 1 is amazing. Don't hesitate to pick that DVD set up. Season 2 kinda sucked and got cancelled....I don't even think you can get season 2 on dvd. It don't remember there being a lot of loose ends that aggravated me. It's almost like each episode could stand on its own without knowing anything about the show. Watch it!
Old 07-28-07, 12:07 AM

A little late to the punch, I was.
Old 07-28-07, 12:44 AM
MrX
DVD Talk Hero

Received 259 Likes on 195 Posts
Season 1 was great. Neal McDonough gives a great performace as Davif McNorris
Old 07-28-07, 02:13 AM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,200 Likes on 4,227 Posts
One of my favorite shows from the past few years. Written by and starring the people who brought you Band Of Brothers. A highly underrated and underappreciated series; it's also absurdly cheap now if you can find it. I paid a fair amount for my copy but, like Arrested Development (another doomed show I loved) I couldn't wait for the drop.
Too bad they never released truncated season 2 of Boomtown. I never saw those last 3-4 episodes they burned off over Christmas break.
Old 07-28-07, 08:10 AM

Well, I was gonna download both seasons 1 and 2 but I have been unable to find Season 2 with more than the initial 6 episodes. And since Season 2 is unavailable on DVD, I guess I am up shit creek.

Oh well, I guess I'll keep looking...
Old 07-28-07, 08:57 AM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,200 Likes on 4,227 Posts
You're not going to be able to find more than six episodes of Season 2 since that was the total number of episodes made.
It was so cruel, NBC waited and waited to renew then finally did bring it back. I'm pretty sure they moved the time period and it got bad ratings for two weeks and then the show was pulled and killed. It was almost worse than if they'd killed it after season one. Especially with not including S2 on the DVD.
Old 07-28-07, 09:19 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Don't even think for a second about picking Boomtown up on DVD, DO IT RITE NOW!!!

Boomtown was probally one of the best original network crime dramas in the past 10 years & it's sad that it got cancelled due to poor viewership. Ratings cancel all good shows. Great cast, teriffic writing & just a plain out damn good show.
Season 1 (18 episodes) from start to finish was just amazing for a network television series & for a television series in general. Their was no real cliffhanger on the season 1 finale so it's not like you are never going to find out what happens.
"The Freak" was probally my favorite episode from season 1 (all of them are my favorites) & if you only see one episode, see that one.
Season 2 kind of changed the format of the show & in truth the second season saw decline in quality. It's not the writers fault though because they changed the format in order to try & getting bigger ratings. It didn't work & after only 6 season 2 episodes, the show was cancelled.

If your looking for an excellent crime drama that is original & doesn't dumb it down for the major audience, pick up Boomtown-Season One on DVD. You won't regret it.
Old 07-28-07, 09:21 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Decker
You're not going to be able to find more than six episodes of Season 2 since that was the total number of episodes made.
It was so cruel, NBC waited and waited to renew then finally did bring it back. I'm pretty sure they moved the time period and it got bad ratings for two weeks and then the show was pulled and killed. It was almost worse than if they'd killed it after season one. Especially with not including S2 on the DVD.
Yeah, they moved it to Fridays for season 2.

I know Fridays aren't exactly a must see night, but giving the show just two chances (on a ratings-lite night) to find its audience again was just wrong.

This was an excellent show that, of course, was given a second chance but that chance wasn't good enough IMO.
Old 07-28-07, 10:59 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I'll be the voice of dissent-I didn't care for the show. Perhaps my expectations were too high after reading all of the great reviews. I found the characters to be rather annoying, particularly Donnie Wahlberg's character.
Old 07-28-07, 12:21 PM

Received 99 Likes on 82 Posts
HDNet used to air Boomtown episodes...not sure if they still do.
Old 07-28-07, 04:33 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Received 1,882 Likes on 1,238 Posts
It's still on HDNet's schedule, but it's on at 4 AM early, early Friday morning, but it's worth DVRing if you have that option, countingcrow.

Um, change the channel the first time you see Vanessa Williams, though.
Old 07-28-07, 05:03 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,640 Likes on 2,613 Posts
Originally Posted by Adam Tyner
Um, change the channel the first time you see Vanessa Williams, though.
That's a little harsh! Personally I love Vanessa Williams and will watch anything with her in it and I think she's fantastic in Ugly Betty, but she brought nothing to Boomtown. She was just another cop.
Old 07-28-07, 09:09 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by Sweet Baby James
I found the characters to be rather annoying, particularly Donnie Wahlberg's character.
I actually thought Wahlberg was one of the more interesting characters, and he played it beautifully.
Old 07-28-07, 09:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by rkndkn
I actually thought Wahlberg was one of the more interesting characters, and he played it beautifully.
I think that most people would agree with you. It just wasn't my cup of tea.
Old 08-01-07, 11:32 AM
MrE
DVD Talk Special Edition

Actually Jason Gedrick is my nominee for Most Annoying Actor (... Ever?) but I still loved the show.
Old 08-01-07, 12:22 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts
Not quite the Ganges, is it? Not really a river anymore. Used to flood like a son of a bitch when I was a boy. They paved it all up in the '50s. Paris got the Seine. Vienna's got the Blue Danube. L.A.'s got a...concrete drainage ditch. It's all we've got. It'll have to do.