Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Fall Pilot Buzz Picking Up

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-07, 09:10 PM
Cool New Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Fall Pilot Buzz Picking Up

Both Zap2It and The Hollywood Reporter have had stories in the last few days taking a look at the latest "buzz" as it regards fall pilots, with just over a week to go until the announcements at the Fall Upfront Presentations next week.

According to Zap2It
Among the apparently surer things to land spots on the 2007-08 schedule are ABC's drama "Dirty Sexy Money" and The CW's "Gossip Girl." The former stars Peter Krause ("Six Feet Under") as the harried lawyer for a wealthy family; the cast also includes William Baldwin, Samaire Armstong, Jill Clayburgh and Donald Sutherland, and tonally sounds like it might be a good fit with shows like "Desperate Housewives," "Brothers & Sisters" and "Grey's Anatomy."

ABC also reportedly likes "Marlowe," an updated take on Raymond Chandler's detective; "Perfect Gentlemen," starring Michael Vartan and Josh Malina, among others; and "Pushing Daisies," a drama from Bryan Fuller ("Wonderfalls," "Heroes") whose touch can revive the dead. The "Grey's" spinoff "Private Practice" also stands a decent chance.
And Hollywood Reporter says that
NBC brass is said to be very high on the dramedy "Lipstick Jungle." Also flying high after extensive retooling is the sci-fi saga "The Bionic Woman" as well as three male-centered one-hours: Josh Schwartz's "Chuck," "Journeyman" and "Life." In fact, a scenario floating around has the network picking up all of its one-hour pilots except "Mayor of New York" with 12- or six-episode orders as strike contingency. On the comedy side, "Lipshitz Saves the World," which was filmed months ago, is making a charge alongside "Business Class" and "The IT Crowd."

-- CBS, which might pick up only three to four new dramas, is said to be high on the untitled Cynthia Cidre project, "Babylon Fields" and "The Man," with "Protect & Serve," "Swingtown," "Skip Tracer" and "Viva Laughlin" also in contention. Greg Garcia's "Fugly" is making noise on the comedy side.

-- Fox, which might pick up four to five drama pilots, is said to be seriously considering sci-fi entries "The Sarah Connor Chronicles" and "Them" and cop shows "The Apostles" and "K-Ville." Also in the running are "Nurses," "Canterbury's Law" and "The Cure." In the comedy field, besides "Action News," which is considered on the air, the untitled Victor Fresco project and animated "The Life and Times of Tim" also getting notice.
I think some of the more promising pilots include Perfect Gentlemen, which has a great cast (Michael Vartan (Alias), Dylan McDermott (The Practice), Josh Malina (Sports Night and West Wing) and the great Nia Long) and I didn't find the Grey's Anatomy spinoff as offensive as some did (it seems like a show with a great cast, more mature then Grey's, and without all the melodrama which people can find annoying). And over at Fox, Juliana Margulies stars in the law drama Canterbury's Law which sounds decent. And I'll give Action News a chance, as I think Kelsey Grammar and Patricia Heaton could be really funny playing off of one another.

Which shows, from what you've read and heard about, do you think should make the new fall schedules when they are released next week?
Old 05-06-07, 09:22 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hope Dirty Sexy Money is definitely picked up and gets a good timeslot. Pretty cool that Peter Krause might be on the same network with Rachel Griffiths again (albeit different shows this time). Come to think of it, the show has a somewhat similarly themed synopsis as Brothers & Sisters.

Oddly, if the same "thing" happens in the pilot for DSM that happened in SFU and Brothers & Sisters - there is something weird going on...

POSSIBLE/PROBABLE DSM spoiler:
Spoiler:
...a father dies
Old 05-06-07, 09:53 PM
Cool New Member

Peter Krause may also be on the same network as Joshua Malina again (both co-starred on the short lived but vastly underrated Sports Night) if both Dirty Sexy Money and Perfect Gentlemen are picked up. In fact, I was writing tonight over at my blog that perhaps the reason why Studio 60 failed was because Josh Malina wasn't in it. Everything else Aaron Sorkin has done (A Few Good Men, American President, Sports Night, West Wing) all had Malina either staring or at least in a small role.

But, back to Dirty Sexy Money, the plot does sound very interesting, and both Krause and Donald Sutherland (who is set to star in the show) are great actors.
Old 05-06-07, 10:17 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

OH wow. Didn't think about that. Felicity Huffman as well!
Old 05-06-07, 10:30 PM

Originally Posted by swarheit
In fact, I was writing tonight over at my blog that perhaps the reason why Studio 60 failed was because Josh Malina wasn't in it. Everything else Aaron Sorkin has done (A Few Good Men, American President, Sports Night, West Wing) all had Malina either staring or at least in a small role.
Yeah but Malina came onto West Wing when it was already on its way down. The best years were over.
Old 05-06-07, 10:43 PM
Cool New Member

Originally Posted by sjrab16
Yeah but Malina came onto West Wing when it was already on its way down. The best years were over.
I don't know about that actually. The second half of season four, where he was introduced, and Sorkin was wrapping up his run, was great, and while I agree, season five was a real disappointment, I thought the election storylines throughout seasons six and seven were actually pretty good for the most part.
Old 05-06-07, 11:36 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I'm really looking forward to PUSHING DAISEYS, GOSSIP GIRL (its the one stable pilot the CW has this year and with VM gone and OTH becoming a show about twentysomethings it will be their only high school property and Josh Schwartz gives a lot of creditabilty to the project), LIPSTICK JUNGLE, and SARAH CONNER CHRONICLES (How could FOX pass it up?)
Old 05-07-07, 12:24 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

One of my friends is working on Lipstick Jungle and he said it's pretty awful, the actors just aren't very good. He mentioned one of the actresses was completely cut out through editing (not recast, mind you), and nothing seems to bode well for it
Old 05-07-07, 12:36 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by critterdvd
I'm really looking forward to PUSHING DAISEYS, GOSSIP GIRL (its the one stable pilot the CW has this year and with VM gone and OTH becoming a show about twentysomethings it will be their only high school property and Josh Schwartz gives a lot of creditabilty to the project), LIPSTICK JUNGLE, and SARAH CONNER CHRONICLES (How could FOX pass it up?)
do we know that Veronica is indeed gone?
Old 05-07-07, 12:39 AM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts
Originally Posted by Rypro 525
do we know that Veronica is indeed gone?
No, but sadly its expected.
Old 05-07-07, 01:10 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I don't think The Sarah Connor Chronicles will last a season. First we know what happens to the character (unless we are just suppose to forget the events of T3) plus Linda Hamilton is nowhere in site, not to mention Mr. Cameron.

Dirty Sexy Money could be soapy good as could Gossip Girl.
I have high hopes for The Bionic Woman. I hope the reinventing is sucessful.
Old 05-07-07, 01:19 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The only think that really pops out to me is Dirty Sexy Money, only because I'm a big fan of Peter Krause.
Old 05-07-07, 01:57 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I worked on Marlowe and I'm really hoping it gets picked up. It includes some of the same people who did Day Break, so you know it's gonna have style and smarts.
Old 05-07-07, 03:05 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,640 Likes on 2,613 Posts
I'm hoping FOX picks up Company Man since it's from the guys who created 24. I could see it being paired with Prison Break on Monday's until 24 returns. I think Surnow, Cochran and Jon Cassar probably spent more time developing this pilot than working on 24 this season, so it better get picked up.
Old 05-07-07, 03:33 AM

I'm also hearing very positive things about Fox's THE APOSTALE'S and that will definately be something for me to watch since it takes place in my hometown.
Old 05-07-07, 09:09 AM
Cool New Member

Originally Posted by FinkPish
I worked on Marlowe and I'm really hoping it gets picked up. It includes some of the same people who did Day Break, so you know it's gonna have style and smarts.
I didn't realize there was a connection there. Daybreak was really good. It was too bad it didn't connect with the audience. I watched every one of those episodes once they were released online. Great storytelling.
Old 05-07-07, 09:13 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I'm happy to have Kelsey Grammer back on the TV airwaves. For me, it's been pretty weird in the last couple years without him.
Old 05-07-07, 09:35 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Here is a repost of the pilot listings at HollywoodReporter.com.

CBS

ABC

NBC

THE CW

FOX
Old 05-07-07, 09:45 AM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by riley_dude
I don't think The Sarah Connor Chronicles will last a season. First we know what happens to the character (unless we are just suppose to forget the events of T3) plus Linda Hamilton is nowhere in site, not to mention Mr. Cameron.

Dirty Sexy Money could be soapy good as could Gossip Girl.
I have high hopes for The Bionic Woman. I hope the reinventing is sucessful.
I have to say, I am loking forward to the Sarah Connor Chronicles. It looks on the surface like it could be a stinker, but I have a feeling this show might be damn good.

Anything with Krause gets an instant 6 ep commitment from me for the 6' under goodwill.

Bionic Woman could be really bad or really good... It's got the right pedigree, let's see how they pull it off.

Still hoping Veronica comes back as FBI Girl.
Old 05-07-07, 02:23 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)
I've already seen the pilot for FOX's Supreme Courtships.

Shane West better hope he jumped outta the way.