Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Media Networking a Xbox 360

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-07, 01:27 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Media Networking a Xbox 360

So I took the plunge and bought a 360 last weekend and GOW. Wow it is great! I picked up the HD player last night and hope to watch a movie on it this weekend. I also ordered the wireless network thing for the 360.

Here is my question:

1) I have some downloaded movies (legal) on my computer in my office. How can I watch these movies on the 360? (I don't want to burn a disk) I just want to play the avi, mpeg4 etc on the 360.

Can I just download a player and put it on the 360. then network my 360 and my computer in the office and play it?

If you could let me know what players work the best with the 360 etc.. I would appreciate it.

2) Can I set up a slide show on the 360? I have a slide show of movie trivia etc that I show before a movie - could I just download this and play a slide show?

Thanks
Old 02-10-07, 08:10 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You need to have a windows media center PC. Otherwise I believe you can use the latest WMP to stream WMV.
Old 02-10-07, 09:14 AM
JM
DVD Talk Special Edition

The 360 will only natively play Windows Media Video (WMV) files. Videos in any other format will have to be converted to WMV. There are a few program that will serve all video types to the 360 and transcode them to WMV on the fly (if your PC is fast enough to handle it--these programs run on the PC, not the 360). The 2 most popular are TVersity and Twonkyvision. You do not need a Windows Media Center PC anymore, as you can use the latest WMP 11 or the aforementioned programs.

As for the slideshow, the 360 supports most common picture file formats (JPEG etc.), so you should be able to do this by sharing the pictures to the 360 using WMP 11, TVersity, or Twonkyvision.
Old 02-12-07, 02:26 PM

Thanks Guys... this is helpfull. I'm still trying to perfect my wireless xbox live connection.

Once I get this working 100% of the time, I'll work on media streaming.
Old 02-12-07, 02:57 PM
tpc

Here's a dumb question.

I have wireless access in my house, because so many components are far apart. Works like a charm.

My 360 is connected to my router, as is my PC. If I want to stream from the PC to my 360, do they need to be directly networked together, or can I do it through the router?
Old 02-12-07, 04:50 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

It can be done through the router using the Media Connect software.

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/win...t/default.aspx
Old 02-12-07, 08:08 PM
JM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by bahgee
It can be done through the router using the Media Connect software.

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/win...t/default.aspx
Or using WMP 11, as it says there.
Old 03-30-07, 03:08 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I recently DL'ed TVersity and it works for .mpg video files(though I have only tried short ones, like music videos), however I'm having trouble getting it to play anything else. Most of the videos I have are .avi and it doesn't seem to want to play them. Perhaps, my computer isn't up to task? Its a fairly new Toshiba laptop and it seems to run everything else pretty well. Anyone else have this problem?
Old 04-01-07, 11:04 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

i'm interested in knowing also. I have alot of avi.
I remember reading about some software which will allow u to stream videos thru the internet. it essentially turns your pc into a slingbox.its called orb something - orb,orbix. can't remember.
anybody know if that will work with avi?

i downloaded zune, but it only works with .wmv
Old 04-03-07, 02:36 PM

Glad to see that I'm not the only one having problems with .avi files.

I was going to convert them to .wmv but the microsoft conversion program does not like that they are divix

I did download the Zune Program and WMP 11 and I can stream movies and pictures. (which come to life when shown through my projector)

I hope microsoft will get zune to work with .avi
Old 05-11-07, 01:56 AM

i just downloaded tversity along with a patch needed for the spring update. i can connect to it just fine but i can only stream wmv files. i get an error for everything else. anyone know what could be wrong?
Old 05-11-07, 09:55 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

http://tversity.com/download/

Did you make sure you have all the codecs on the bottom of the page installed? For things like xvid and divx you definitely need ffdshow.