Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

How young is too young for Wii?

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-07, 07:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How young is too young for Wii?

I have a nephew who is going to turn 5 in July and my parents want to get him a Wii for his gift. Is this too young for a Wii? How many good games would be ok for a child his age? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Old 02-08-07, 07:57 PM

Ehh. my5 yo daugther can play bowling but that's about it. She doesn't have the coordination nor the patience for it yet. The 7 yo is pretty good at gaming. So I guess 5 is still a bit young but he'll grow with it.
Old 02-08-07, 09:19 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Make sure they don't throw the wiimote, i'm not joking... My 56" DLP almost cracked, kids can't calm down when they're having and that's something you need so supervise, yeap, supervise...

Personally, i don't think five is too young. Alot of six year olds know more computer than an average joe (just an expression, don't think too much into it). If that's my kid, i would get him/her a simpler educational game/toy, like LeapPad or something. Of course, if the adult is using the kid to justify the Wii purchase, that's something else
Old 02-08-07, 09:54 PM

My 5 year old boy plays Wii Sports, Excite Truck, Raving Rabids and Warioware with little problems. But, he also has a SNES, N64 and Gamecube in his room hooked to a 31" TV. Now that I think of it, he's a spoiled brat....
Old 02-08-07, 10:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by daddydaryl
My 5 year old boy plays Wii Sports, Excite Truck, Raving Rabids and Warioware with little problems. But, he also has a SNES, N64 and Gamecube in his room hooked to a 31" TV. Now that I think of it, he's a spoiled brat....
My kid has the exact same setup other than a slightly smaller TV.

As for the original question, Wii Sports alone is worth the entry fee...and there are tons of kid friendly gamecube games. Sounds like a great idea.
Old 02-09-07, 05:01 AM
Banned

You can never be too young to start video gaming. I started playing on my dad's Atari 2600 when I was 2 years old. Of course I was too young to really comprehend what I was doing, but it was still fun to my young mind.
Old 02-09-07, 09:25 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My 6-yo is a big fan of Wii Sports (all flavors), Happy Feet, Elebits, Wario Ware, and even Super Swing Golf.

I certainly don't think 5 is too young. Plus he can get started on some old classics like Super Mario Bros/World on the cheap.
Old 02-09-07, 10:05 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 72 Likes on 53 Posts
My 4 year old likes the golf game on Wii sports. I've been wanting to get her another game. the game would have to be pretty simple and not too twitch-action. How are Happy Feet and Elebits?
Old 02-09-07, 10:09 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Happy Feet has a good mix of game types. There's a DDR-style rhythm game that has you flick the remote in the appropriate direction. There's racing and collection games that turn the remote sideways like Excite Truck.

Even on easy, it isn't always easy, but if you fail twice, you can move on to the next chapter without requiring success.

The story and clips seem to resemble what I imagine the movie actually was (she saw it, I didn't) and the voice acting was solid.

She enjoyed it so much she played it for 7.5 hours the first day. Typical quest to get bronze/silver/gold medals. Unlocking golds gives you access to the story clips and songs without needing to play the game.

I'd say it is a great kids game.

Elebits is great too, but might be harder to get into for a kid since it deals with that 3-D space. Really fun for multiplayer, especially if you drive the viewpoint and they just use their gun for hunting.
Old 02-10-07, 03:25 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My 3 yr old son really enjoys Excite Truck and Sports. He is alright at bowling, but, not so good at anything else. That being said, he very much enjoys playing with his siblings and/or his parents.
Old 02-12-07, 08:14 PM

Thank you everyone for the input. He already plays some PC games and is pretty good at them. He also has the V-Tech video game console and does well at that. The only thing I really worry about with the Wii is that he might not take care of it. Since the console is going to be at this place I will not be around when he plays it everytime.
Old 02-13-07, 08:17 AM
Suspended

My 5 year old son is great at video games. The only way that he gets to play the Wii, is when he is using a Wavebird to play Gamecube games. Eventhough I trust that he would be good at these games, I just do not trust him with a Wiimote and a 62" HDTV.
Old 02-13-07, 10:52 AM
Banned

My 5 year old son is retarded
Old 02-13-07, 11:53 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by kenage
The only thing I really worry about with the Wii is that he might not take care of it. Since the console is going to be at this place I will not be around when he plays it everytime.
I would think that any child that is already living independently has the wherewithal to take care of a console.
Old 02-13-07, 06:29 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

in 35 yrs when he is still living at home and is a virgin, you'll be glad you bough him a wii .