Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

Gamexnflix - no wii during trial memberships?

Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Old 02-12-07, 10:10 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Last night I signed up for a trial membership @ gameznflix to test the online rental waters. I added all of the good Wii titles to my queue and went to sleep. This morning, I returned to the site to see if they had an "about to ship" flag a la Netflix so I'd know which games to expect in a few days.

Unfortunately, everything in my queue is listed as a short wait. I considered adding some lesser rated Wii titles just to get my hands on a game, but the site is now telling me that Wii rentals are not valid as part of a trial membership and I must upgrade to a full membership to add any more to my queue.

It will be interesting to see if they ever actually ship anything at all. More to the point, they're of to a terrible start and will have to work awfully hard to get me to pay them a single cent.
Old 02-12-07, 10:31 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Everything is my queue is listed as 'short wait' but things go out.

I skipped the trial and signed up using a recent coupon (I assume it's expired, 'emmys'). I'm on the 2 games at a time for $9.75.

So far, it hasn't been that bad. I've rented: Wario Ware, Lost Planet and Battlestations Midway. I returned Wario Ware but it never showed up as returned. After 10 days I created a 'case' on their web site and now Super Swing Golf is on the way.
Old 02-12-07, 11:04 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I signed up using the "emmys" code as well, 2 out at $9.75. All my titles in my queue are listed as a 'short wait' but they still get shipped out. So don't worry too much about it, they're gonna ship.
Old 02-12-07, 11:59 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 81 Likes on 69 Posts
Just signed up for 'full' membership, 2-out. Code still worked. 6 Wii games and 1 HDDVD, the games all say "short wait", and hddvd says available. I had similar experience with BBO and NF sometimes though.
Gromit: I didn't read the fine print--what happens if a game you return is lost in the mail? Are they going to charge you?
Old 02-12-07, 01:06 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I have had a full Gameznflix membership since September, and had Wii games on my list since the second week of release. None of them have ever shipped to me. I switched back to Gamefly for that reason alone.

I wish Netflix would start offering games.
Old 02-12-07, 01:46 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Netflix really needs to do games to stay on top of Blockbusters program which is gaining lots of new customers. I'd pay $4-5 more a month to have a game out along with my 3 movies. I may try this service if I can get the 9.75 deal.
Old 02-12-07, 02:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by MBoyd
Netflix really needs to do games to stay on top of Blockbusters program which is gaining lots of new customers. I'd pay $4-5 more a month to have a game out along with my 3 movies. I may try this service if I can get the 9.75 deal.
You can't get games with Blockbuster's program, can you?
Old 02-12-07, 02:08 PM
Video Game Talk Editor

Gameznflix has been taking on far too many new customers with their $12.75 a month promo and haven't been able to keep up with the demand. They also give unfair preferential treatment to brand new accounts. There is a huge thread over at Cheapassgamer discussing their business practices.

That's being said, they were the kick ass game rental company of 2006 (until mid-November). But as of right now, I wouldn't re-sign with them for half of what I was paying. Sure, Gamefly is twice the price, but they actually ship the games. I had 8 short wait games sitting in my que at Gameznflix for 45 days without any of them shipping to me.
Old 02-12-07, 02:49 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

hmm...that doesn't sound good. I would think renting games as well as dvds would drastically increase both their overhead and their risk of loss, so while I would like for NF to carry games, I'd worry about the price increase. I'm not sure what I would pay, I think it would carry an increase, but I'm not sure what level increase would scare me away. I think BBO still offers one in-store coupon printout a month, which can be used on a game or a movie. I cancelled my BBO because I just wasn't using the game coupons or the movie rentals; if BB in-store had a decent selection of games, I might be tempted by the gamepass thing again, but I didn't like that it was limited to one store.
Maybe GnF is going through growing pains, and they will shape up. I looked into Gamefly, but 22 bucks a month for 2 games out at a time is more than I want to pay right now, and I think I had heard issues about their shipping speed.
Old 02-12-07, 03:03 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

You can't get games with Blockbuster's program, can you?
I don't think so, unless you go in the store. I'm just saying it might help bring some customers back. I just don't want to subscribe to 2 different services.
Old 02-12-07, 06:32 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

"And for those times when you find yourself without a movie or a return mailer, you'll receive one monthly movie or game e-coupon to use just in case."
http://www.blockbuster.com/help/faq/693

with Total Access, though you do still need to actually go into the store (ie, they don't send games through the mail.)
Old 02-13-07, 12:56 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

GnF is HORRIBLE with wii games they never even sent me 1. EVER
Old 02-13-07, 07:44 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by dtcarson
Gromit: I didn't read the fine print--what happens if a game you return is lost in the mail? Are they going to charge you?
Not that I know of. I didn't even hear back from them. I created the case on their website explaining that I had returned Wario Ware 10 days previously. the next day, my queue showed that Super Swing Golf had shipped.

Maybe I'm getting new releases because I'm a new customer. If it gets bad, I'll cancel and switch to GF.
Old 02-13-07, 06:09 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

They allegedly sent me one Wii game today; I had 6 games and 1 HDDVD, they sent one game [that wasn't at the top of the queue but i don't recall where it was] and the HDDVD which was number 7.
Old 02-13-07, 06:53 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Well, I'm 2 days in and still no shipments.

I signed up for a Gamefly trial on a lark and they sent me shipping notices within hours.
Old 02-13-07, 07:00 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

GameznFlix was once good because it was cheap, I had one system and I didn't have the time to game. Now that I have all 3 next gen systems and more free time not even the decent prices could keep me around. I'd rather wait an extra day or so for my games to ship from the other side of the country.
Old 02-13-07, 07:18 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

GNF has dropped off so dramatically in the past few months...it's unbelievable.
Old 02-13-07, 09:08 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

For those who have Gamefly...have you ever seen a game enter the "preparing for shipping" status, and then be taken off? Just happened to me.